ProgPower horror stories???

13ShadesofGray said:
"Okay, THAT was not good."

That was a funny story!

I don't have anything as bad as some of the stories you guys have. I do have three though:

1) The year after Ivan, yardleybates and I are returning to our hotel room after grabbing lunch or something. No. It must have been just before the show because yardleybates was dressed nice. Anyway, we're walking down the hall and these two guys come out of the room next door. They say, "Hi" and we say, "Hi." They say, "How's it going?" I say, "Good. How's it going for you?" They say, "Not so good. We're from New Orleans." I said something like, "Oh. That sucks." The one guys eyes yardleybates and says, "Things are looking up though." We checked the peep hole every time before we left the room that weekend.

2) Before last year (pre-gold badge for us): The horror of standing in line, waiting to get into Earthlink when it is 90+ out, everybody's wearing black, and the damn sun is reflecting off of the building across the street so there is no shade anywhere. AHHHH! We're metal. The sun tries to kill us!

3) We have a recurring horror. It is the horror of the person/people in the PP crowd who were inconsiderate in their choice of diet before going to the show. It seems that no matter where we sit or stand in the crowd, somebody near us craps in their pants and fills the area with the most vile, disgusting, putrid smell every to emanate from a human body. It happens every year. It would be funny if it weren't so fuckin' awful!

trentdk said:
I was taking a shower friday morning at the Residence, when Mosquito invited himself in with me. I was like, "zomg dude, what are you doing?"
"Hey man, we're all metal here, no worries".
I didn't want to be rude... /shrug

Did he at least use protection?

My horror story was last year when I decided to sell PP tickets and go to some concerts in NY area instead, mainly the Jon Oliva/Chris Caffery/Ripper Owens' Beyond Fear in Brooklyn.
First it started when the fucking Greyhound didn't want to refund my tickets(I hope they go out of business, motherfuckers).
Then I go to Jon Oliva/Chris Caffery/Beyond Fear and my car stops working, I call up my dad and somehow we get the car running he takes us there and takes the car away. We are thinking we are late, fot 9 pm start, but surprisingly the doors weren't opened yet and there is a line. About 10:30 - 11pm the fuckers let us in. The venue is really shitty and has no AC it got extremely hot and humid really fast. The local bands went first: first Operatika who only did 1 or 2 songs because the venue had some problems getting their keyboards to work, then came Gothic Knights and I think some other band. Then came Beyond Fear who were rather disappointing, I expected something better. At this point my gf and I are tired, sleepy, sweaty and miserable, she wants to go home I convice her to stay at least we got some seats near the bar. Between the set we go outside to get some fresh air and Russel Allen came with some chick I am not sure anybody knew/recognized him, seems like he came to see the show, I caught him check out my gf as he passed by. Then Chris Caffery came they were ok, but by that time I got a major headache. Then finally the Mountain King came out and just like with Operatika it took them about half an hour to get the keyboards working finally he starts his set, I am enjoying it even though I am half asleep, two songs into the set and my gf can't keep awake and is sleeping on my shoulder. Finally the show is over we go out at around 3 something pm not a soul on the streets in a questionable neighborhood and no bus until morning. So I call and wake my dad to pick us up and we finally get home.

Overall this was the most unpleasant concert experience I ever had and since then I have cooled off about concerts and will never again go to that shitty venue.

Yippee38 said:
3) We have a recurring horror. It is the horror of the person/people in the PP crowd who were inconsiderate in their choice of diet before going to the show. It seems that no matter where we sit or stand in the crowd, somebody near us craps in their pants and fills the area with the most vile, disgusting, putrid smell every to emanate from a human body. It happens every year. It would be funny if it weren't so fuckin' awful!

Are you sure it's not YOU? I mean if you're smelling this every year, perhaps you have some kind of farting amnesia? :zombie: :)

He's right though, shitting your pants is NOT metal!

I actually really didn't have any horror stories, except, as Rick P. mentioned, walking around in the Ivan remnants, changing soaked clothes 3 times that day/night.

Oh wait, there was the B.O. dude from last year. Worse than any gastric funk, this was just the smell of someone who didn't shower for a couple days.
Jeeze, bum a shower from someone if your staying in your car...It was bad enough to make me stop dead in my tracks and announce "WTF, who needs a fawking bath??!!!" It wasn't Jim LotFP :) . More gross than any food related airborne contamination, IMO.

J-Dubya

Ascension said:
Yeah...l went to PP VI to see some power & prog and a pussy band like Pink Cream 69 showed up...OMG WTF!!!!

My horror story is knowing a troll like you actually attends the same show as the rest of us. It's funny how "Ascension" means "to lift up" when all you ever do is tear others down.

Geez...what dicks...ya'll need to lighten up abit. Go to the "you've got to check this band out" prog metal thread, check out my suggestions, buy the CDs or d/l some samples, & throw away your PC69 crap. You'll feel much better about yourself in the morning...trust me.

Ascension said:
Geez...what dicks...ya'll need to lighten up abit. Go to the "you've got to check this band out" prog metal thread, check out my suggestions, buy the CDs or d/l some samples, & throw away your PC69 crap. You'll feel much better about yourself in the morning...trust me.
Our replies to you were civil and non insulting, yet you chose to be obscene and ignorant toward us. Makes no sense at all.

Here's my ProgPower horror story: I've never been!:OMG:

But that will be remedied come September. :)

Krisjibs said:
Here's my ProgPower horror story: I've never been!:OMG:

But that will be remedied come September. :)
Same here, but come hell or high water I will be there this year, you can count on it. Got my Sponsorship(FREAK KITCHEN) got my hotel reservation (RESIDENCE INN), got my flight booked(DELTA nonstop El Paso to Atlanta) got my spending money so i am ready, plus got the vaction time. So i will be there.

John

Pyramaze51 said:
Same here, but come hell or high water I will be there this year, you can count on it. Got my Sponsorship(FREAK KITCHEN) got my hotel reservation (RESIDENCE INN), got my flight booked(DELTA nonstop El Paso to Atlanta) got my spending money so i am ready, plus got the vaction time. So i will be there.

John

Gotta love those non-stop flights. They're expensive, but they seriously cut down on the bullshit of modern air travel.

We do the same thing...Corpus to Atlanta...a whole 2.5 hours...no big deal.

Always good to see the Texas contingent grow every year, huh?

Rock on!

2005, Friday night. Earthlink venue, venue room.

I walk in with my ticket for the fest that evening, but go into the merch room first. I may my way through the vendors and buy stuff, BUT when I leave, SOMETHING is missing.

Where'd my ticket go?

So I ask folks around if they saw a ticket amongst the tables. They kindly say no, but would look out for something, except the "guardian" at the door (Jax, actually). I ask if there's any recovery to be let upstairs out of hospitality. The answer was a slightly venomous, scornful "no".

So I called Ruthven, and then Pellaz about the situation.

Pellaz had the WREK supply for the evening, and was happy to supply one to me.

Pellaz rules, btw

2003, our first year at PP...
Greg and I arrive at the Granada on Thursday after a 2 1/2 hour drive to BWI, 2 hour flight, and marta ride just in time to check in and go to happy hour. We had had very little to eat, were still stressed from traveling and drank a few too many in too short amount of time.
Soon after arriving at the preparty, we realized we were in trouble and within an hour, actually had to help hold each other up. Someone announced that Vanden Plas had arrived and I wanted to go hide. Those guys know me and I was embarrassed for them to see me in that condition so I grabbed Greg's arm and said it's time to go. We staggered outside and realized we didn't know how to get back to the Granada. Fortunately, one of the guys from Circle II Circle was getting picked up by the shuttle bus and we hitched a ride with him. The next day we were feeling like shit and needed some sodas and snacks from the machines and the elevator kept screwing up and opening up on the wrong floor. Greg was getting a little frustrated and was letting everyone know about it when Mike Pinella, who also knows who I am, shows up to get on the elevator. When we finally sobered up enough to walk down the street for a real meal, this good looking hunk of man says, Glad to see you made it back OK last night. We smiled, waved and said thanks. I asked Greg, who that was and he said he didn't know. We found out later that night it was Corey Brown. Then we ran into Bryant who said, "Man, you guys were fucked up last night!"
I was so embarrassed and afraid that my new PP friends were going to think I was some kind of lush. Fortunately, they know me better, now and all is well. We learned a valuable lesson. We are too old to fly in and start right in at happy hour. We now arrive on Wednesday so we have time to eat and rest up before happy hour on Thursday.
Cindy

LuCinda said:
Then we ran into Bryant who said, "Man, you guys were fucked up last night!"

Oh yikes! Always at least eat something! LOL'ing at Bryant telling you how messed up you were. :lol:
I'm sorry I missed the spectacle that year, I didn't see anybody that messed up.....Then again, I DO remember partying hard that night, and may have thought it was normal! :)

J-Dubya

The worst thing I've had happen is that someone at the Best Western Granada Suites let someone sleep off a drunk in my hotel room while I was enjoying the bands at the Earthlink Live. Unfortunately they didn't make sure that the dude was out of my room before I returned.

Well needless to say I come in around 2:00 AM kind of tired, and a lot drunk, only to find a dude sleeping on the floor between the TV and the bed. My first reaction was to kick this guys ass unmercifully, but on second thought after a few deep breaths I went and got security and let them deal with it. Security ran his ass off, and I think I hit the sack a few minutes later.

Luckily the guy wasn't anything more than a dude looking for a place to crash, but needless to say I won't be staying at the Granada Suites again ... at least not in the near future. Management tried to smooth things over, but I don't think they seemed to realize how serious of a situation it could have been.

Britt

Well to start off I didnt go any year before last year.

But this really isnt that bad, but I just got too drunk on Saturday last year and I missed part of PC 69 and Therion because I needed fresh air.

PPV our plane was just about to touchdown at ATL when the pilot pulled back up and rerouted us to New friggin' Orleans, where we were forced to stay for the night. We ended up getting to the venue on Friday just as the doors were opening. It was very stressful.

I can't come anywhere near to matching the airline horror stories or Jim's brilliant treatise :), but last year we did have problems at the Residence due to all the Katrina refugees. A lot of PP folks had the same problem. The hotel 'walked' us to the Residence Inn in Buckhead, which is a nice apartment-complex style hotel with only one major flaw: it's 5 friggin' miles from ProgPower.

The midtown Residence Inn manager was really apologetic and was able to get us a smaller room for the 'true' nights of ProgPower, so all was well that ended well. We had a very stressful Thursday, though.

I hear the last of the Katrina f/r/e/e/l/o/a/d/e/r/s/ refugees finally got out of the hotel a few weeks ago. :erk:

Pellaz said:
I can't come anywhere near to matching the airline horror stories or Jim's brilliant treatise :), but last year we did have problems at the Residence due to all the Katrina refugees. A lot of PP folks had the same problem. The hotel 'walked' us to the Residence Inn in Buckhead, which is a nice apartment-complex style hotel with only one major flaw: it's 5 friggin' miles from ProgPower.

The midtown Residence Inn manager was really apologetic and was able to get us a smaller room for the 'true' nights of ProgPower, so all was well that ended well. We had a very stressful Thursday, though.

I hear the last of the Katrina f/r/e/e/l/o/a/d/e/r/s/ refugees finally got out of the hotel a few weeks ago. :erk:

We got bumped out of the Granada last year for the same reason-- they put us a mile or 2 up the road at the "Inn at the Peachtrees"....

Sent a polite but grumbling email to the corporate office saying something about never going to a Best Western again and I had a letter in hand from the Granada manager within a week, comping me for a free night's stay-- so we got a free suite when we were in town for Amon Amarth a few month's back....

So we're rolling the dice with the Granada again this year....