PROGPOWER UK CANCELLED!!!!

J-Man

Old as Yoda
Jan 11, 2005
Texas
Just read this on a message i got from the guys and gal in TO-MERA. This is really a shame, to bad it had to happen. This is a direct statement from PPUK.

"This is the hardest decision we have ever had to make, but it is with great regret that we must inform you of the cancellation of ProgPower UK 3.

We have made no secret of the financial difficulties that have dogged our first two years, which is why we had to make a significant number of changes before we decided to commit to a third year. However, ticket sales have been extremely poor – just about 50% of what was required to break even, in fact. As a result, there is no way we can stage the festival without losing a substantial amount of money again, and given the losses incurred in 2006 and 2007 this is something we just cannot afford to do.

This decision has not been taken lightly. We have worked very hard to build up ProgPower UK and keep the dream alive, but the reality of the situation is staring us in the face and we simply cannot afford to keep pumping money into the festival. We are obviously extremely sorry for the disappointment and inconvenience that this decision will cause you, and although it is of no consolation, we can assure you that we are as disappointed about this as you are.

ProgPower UK LLP will cease trading with immediate effect. As the festival will now not be taking place, any monies due for performing will not be paid. In due course, a liquidator will be appointed if appropriate.

Please direct any enquiries to enquiries@progpoweruk.com All enquiries will be dealt with, but please be patient.

It is hard at this point in time to convey in words our own disappointment at having to make this tough decision and we do fully appreciate the difficulties that it will cause you. We would however like to sincerely thank you for working with us on ProgPower UK over the past few months. "
The ProgPower UK Team

Yeah read that this morning. A shame. I was fortunate enough to be a part of PPUK1, and it was a great time.

UK gets some good stuff. Bloodstock , and Firefest are 2 that I always wanted to check out. Especially Firefest thats right up my alley.

Damn, that sucks. I guess it it probably harder to get a draw there since most bands on European tours probably hit the UK anyway?

Hi,

It really is a sad that the guys in the UK had to cancel ProgPower, but I know how much money they have invested in this festival and this year didn't look that good at all. We simply have to deal with an overkill of gigs, festivals and big tours here in Europe, that is something we can't change. In the UK there are a few big tours in March by bands as Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, etc so there is some huge competition. It is damn hard to attract enough people for a festival like ProgPower, we have the same problems in The Netherlands but luckily we mostly break-even so we can continue. The scene is just very small and like I said, there is a lot of competition.

Too bad that this happened, but we fully understand the decission the organization has taken. They have our support.

Greetings,
Rene Janssen
ProgPower Europe
www.progpower.eu

Saddly, it appears as this is the fate of Texas Madfest as well. Without the financial support from John and yet-to-be-seen sponsorship offers I do not have the resources to gather the money I need to pump into the event to make it better than last year, or equal at minimum. I'd rather not do the show if I can't do it better than the last one, but I just simply do not have the financial means to continue. Not at this point, anyway.

It's too bad that there are eager people able to produce the kind of show we all want but are limited because of finances. I can truly and deeply sympathize with the PPUK folks. This was the hardest decision I've had to make in my life because it effectively squashes my only real aspirations and dream. Sounds melodramatic, but I assure you it's no exaggeration. Glenn has been blessed with the ability to persevere through the hard times and the financial tumults and I sincerely hope that his success continues for as long as he can possibly foresee! Best wishes to the PPUK folk.

That really sucks for both Madfest and for PP UK. What was the ppuk lineup looking like?

My heart goes out for folks who really want to do something special like this and have to give it up because of money. :<

That really sucks for both Madfest and for PP UK. What was the ppuk lineup looking like?

FRIDAY 28th March 2008
Vanden Plas (Headline)
Circus Maximus
Andromeda
Thy Majestie

Elixir Strings Acoustic Stage:
To-Mera

SATURDAY 29th MARCH 2008
Evergrey (headline)
Brainstorm
Thunderstone
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Power Quest
Voyager
Serenity

I blame internet pirates for this. Actually I just blame the internet.
I just blame you....personally. :devil:

Seriously, damn shame to hear this. That was one on the list of which fest will I travel to this year. Still trying to see Vanden Plas, Circus Maximus and Brain Storm again. :( Well, it does narrow the choices...

This is a total bummer. With just booking small local shows I know that everything involved with making a show happen is very hard unless you have the money and are enough of a sellout promoter to book a band like Slipknot.

FRIDAY 28th March 2008
Vanden Plas (Headline)
Circus Maximus
Andromeda
Thy Majestie

Elixir Strings Acoustic Stage:
To-Mera

SATURDAY 29th MARCH 2008
Evergrey (headline)
Brainstorm
Thunderstone
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Power Quest
Voyager
Serenity
HOly shit! What an awesome lineup! Hard to believe that it didn't sell like crazy over there. But I guess times are tough everywhere and so many good shows and festivals these days, it makes it difficult to sustain all of them. My condlolences to the PP UK group. :(