PROGPOWER UK CANCELLED!!!!

If I were a beer company, I wouldn't be interested in progressive metal in the UK. The scene just isn't big enough. Most sponsors are happy to lend gear, carry adverts, sponsor things like lanyards etc, but if you said "Hey, I want a big chunk of change so you can have a high profile at an 800 person event" they might not be so keen. If I were a sponsor with serious cash to burn, I'd get in on the Nightwish tour, playing the UK to thousands of people per night.

Volcane, I know from where you speak. Here in the states it is also hard to get a major corporation to sponsor a Progressive/power metal event. They just don't want to part with the money for that kind of event. My hat is off to you guys for at least trying, and for putting on two fabulous shows, hpoefully you guys will return next year. Keep your chin up, and know that we are behind you.

I've seen how hard it is for corporate fundraising at the college level. You'd be surprised of the people that will support you and the ones that won't. We have an entity close to us that you would expect they would give us tons of money only to have to go through some huge deal for only $25-50. And trust me, it's a big name company and they are only willing to ante up that amount. I guess they have their rules and stuff to follow on their end too, but come on now...

It's very hard work.

If I were a beer company, I wouldn't be interested in progressive metal in the UK. The scene just isn't big enough. Most sponsors are happy to lend gear, carry adverts, sponsor things like lanyards etc, but if you said "Hey, I want a big chunk of change so you can have a high profile at an 800 person event" they might not be so keen. If I were a sponsor with serious cash to burn, I'd get in on the Nightwish tour, playing the UK to thousands of people per night.

Corporate sponsors won't even do anything outside of give you their product for free so that it could increase their name recognition status and improve sales. I don't get the misconception that people think sponsors are a charity. Hell, most metal bands with sponsors (like guitar/bass drums/etc) won't get free shit until their name is big enough.

Only if you're Ozzfest or the New England Metal and Hardcore Fest will outside sponsors actually loan large sums of money to book bands and take care of everyone.

Corporate sponsors won't even do anything outside of give you their product for free so that it could increase their name recognition status and improve sales. I don't get the misconception that people think sponsors are a charity. Hell, most metal bands with sponsors (like guitar/bass drums/etc) won't get free shit until their name is big enough.

Only if you're Ozzfest or the New England Metal and Hardcore Fest will outside sponsors actually loan large sums of money to book bands and take care of everyone.

AMEN to that!!!!!
You need to have the willingness to use your own money, invest in a show, and win or lose have fun, and then do it again. Eventually you will either make some money or at least break even. You should not go out and expect people or a corporate sponsor to come along and say "Here is some money do what you want". It is probably not going to happen that way. Now there are some companies who have bands that endorse their products, that will on occassion help with costs(for their endorsees only) or record labels that may help. But in the end you have got to do it yourself, lose money, make money, break even, you have a 33% chance.
Just my $.02 worth.

Nobody said anything about it being easy. (at least not me :D:D:D)

But yeah, the whole "you can't have an opinion unless you do it yourself" argument never really made any sense to me. I never tried to slice my wrists open with razorblades but that never stopped me from thinking that it's an idiotic practice.

No, i wasn't talking about you. And i never insinuated that one cannot have an opinion unless they do it. The exchange of ideas is a great way for fests like this to succeed. It's the fact that certain folks are saying "why not just get a corporate sponsor" when that just isn't how it works. It's not just that simple. even with sponsorship, like sh0kr0k mentioned... you're working for the sponsor at that point and have to "sell out" a bit which most people just won't stand for, expecially the progpower crowd.

The point is that everyone is entitled to share their opinions and ideas, but for those who think that booking and promotion is an easy job, try it out. Go get that huge corporate sponsor to put your festival's logo on the side of their beverage cans... no really, it'll happen just like that.

No, i wasn't talking about you. And i never insinuated that one cannot have an opinion unless they do it. The exchange of ideas is a great way for fests like this to succeed. It's the fact that certain folks are saying "why not just get a corporate sponsor" when that just isn't how it works. It's not just that simple. even with sponsorship, like sh0kr0k mentioned... you're working for the sponsor at that point and have to "sell out" a bit which most people just won't stand for, expecially the progpower crowd.

The point is that everyone is entitled to share their opinions and ideas, but for those who think that booking and promotion is an easy job, try it out. Go get that huge corporate sponsor to put your festival's logo on the side of their beverage cans... no really, it'll happen just like that.

w0rd. I'm just sad you still never made me that sandwich you promised :(.

HOly shit! What an awesome lineup! Hard to believe that it didn't sell like crazy over there. But I guess times are tough everywhere and so many good shows and festivals these days, it makes it difficult to sustain all of them. My condlolences to the PP UK group. :(

Well, it's not like it was in a major city like London. It was in Bristol, which probably turned off some people. It definitely would have made it more tricky for me to get there, but for that lineup?!? No doubt about it.

HOly shit! What an awesome lineup! Hard to believe that it didn't sell like crazy over there. But I guess times are tough everywhere and so many good shows and festivals these days, it makes it difficult to sustain all of them. My condlolences to the PP UK group. :(

Great lineup indeed. It's a damn shame. Best of luck to the PPUK folks, hope they can resurrect this again sometime soon...

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Bristol is about 2hrs drive, or 90mins on the train from London, and is a major City on the UK, but yeah, it isn't London... But then most festivals in the UK are out of the capital.

I've been just watching this thread for the very reason you mention here. The exchange of ideas can be great and very helpful at times but ...
You probably put this into the basic terms that I could not seem to find the words for. As I watched this thread I kept thinking, "One of you back-seat promoters should start the Put Your Money Where Your Mouth is Metal Fest, then you can all have a chance to show us all how easy it is to get people/companies to throw money at you for a festival.

My best wishes to those on the PPUK staff. I'm sure you guys/ladies/whomever will keep persevering and bring us another great festival in the (hopefully not to distant) future. I hope one year I can make it over to England for the festival.