ProgPower USA X Bands

VERY cool line-up, the best line-up in years! :)

And I think having Fates Warning and Andre Matos as headliners is REALLY cool.... If you think about it, they are the only classic prog/power metal bands to never have played Prog Power... And prog power 10, Glenn has got them all (well, execpt Rhapsody, maybe)... :)

Surprised to see Tomorrow's Eve so far down the list, but oh well.

After being unable to make a first appearance for the 2005 show, and being on hiatus from college since, I do I will do everything in my power to attend this! Dolamite, get the Jager ready.

WTF?? No Mystic Prophecy, AGAIN!!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love Fates, Brainstorm, PM, CM but I was expecting more form a 10th anniversary show than all of these repeats.

This is a pretty smokin line up. I've no complaints. Fates and Pagans Mind in the same night. Glad I have a badge and dont have to fight in the ticket bastard line.. ;) Oh yeah, Rob Rock is gonna tear the place down tonite. : )

does Matos have a lot of solo albums or something or basically an Angra set?

Matos has managed to create four superb albums with four different bands over his 20-year career, a feat that ought to make him a lock as first-ballot Hall of Famer:

Viper - Theatre of Fate (1989)
Angra - Holy Land (1996)
Matos/Paeth - Virgo (2001)
Shaman - Reason (2005)

Don't know how much (if any) of that stuff makes it into his solo set, but it should!

Neil

I'd imagine we'll get a good smattering of everything.

However, I too, am a little shocked by Circus Maximus' slot choice. I won't question it, since I find them to be incredibly booring, but with their high popularity in the PP world, I figured they'd get an hour this time. Still, with the Talent lined up for Saturday, I have to say they're playing with some Hardcore heavy hitters of PP's past, and it just shows how much Glenn really thinks our opinions matter. Fucking Brainstorm and Orphaned Land are going to KILL.

Definitely pleased with Andre Matos and Orphaned Land.

And the samples of all the bands I'm unfamiliar with sounded pretty good.
I'm definitely intrigued by this Diablo Swing Orchestra.

The only question is will Royal Hunt throw a hissy fit and quit PP? With their past rep, and knowing how Glenn feels about them, I am shocked that they are in this lineup. Otherwise, I NEED to be there next year!

Brainstorm is going to tear the fucking place down, especially since they have put out two awesome cds since they last played. I love all the bands on Saturday, but I really don't want to see Fates Warning unless Zonder is on the skins, unless Jarzombek is going to be the fill-in, then I will just have to be more than happy with that. Royal Hunt will be great, as long as they stick to the paradox cds and it would be very cool to have D.C. come out, if so, that would steal Friday, but Brainstorm steals the whole fest.

My first impression was that Glenn Salvaged ProgPower UK, which had an excellent lineup before being cancelled, to make up PPUSA X.

Suprises:
No Astral Doors. I had thought that confirmed.
Orphaned Land. Considering the cost from Isreal.
Royal Hunt. Reasons are well known to most here.
Circus Maximus. Not in Glenn's good graces -at all- last we heard.

No Brainers:
Sabaton. Told several people they would play. Too big a buzz to be ignored.
Brainstorm. Expected them to headline, however.

Breakdown: Should be Heaven for Prog fans.
Oddball- DSO
Power Metal- PowerQuest, Sabaton, Brainstorm
Prog- Circus Maximus, Orphaned Land, Pagan's Mind, Fates Warning, Tomorrow's Eve, Royal Hunt.
Prog/Power- Matos.

Not being a Prog fan I'm somewhat underwhelmed, especially by Saturday night. There is, however, enough interesting stuff in the overall lineup to get me there.

Tarot?
Falconer?
Venturia?
Seventh Wonder?
Astral Doors?
Suspyre?

There are quite a few very worthy bands that have been bandied about on the boards that may be slated for an appearance at Showcase. So everyone who's noted their absence from the Friday/Saturday line-up may yet be able to see at least one of them next year.

I haven't seen Fates in at least four years (I think they warmed up for Queensryche at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago a number of years ago). Prior to that (maybe in 2001 or 2002), I saw them in Grand Rapids at a very sparsely attended show. It was great for die-hard fans like myself because I stood directly in front of Jim Matheos the entire night and watched his fingers fly. I'd love to see them again.

The sad part about Tarot is that September is the beginning of the school year in Finland. Zach is a "Youth Leader" (Guidance Counselor) in the schools over there. If it was later, I think Tarot could have pulled it off.