ProgPower USA X: Date & Info

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Hello all,

This year is going to be different for all of us. The gold badge holders have had this information for 24 hrs so now you understand one of the major perks of that program. I booked this show back in August. Since then, a city-wide convention was booked for the same
weekend. There is absolutely no way I can change my date for obvious
reasons. This is how it affects us:

*The Marriott Corporation will not book any rooms more than three months in advance of the show. That means the Residence Inn and Courtyard are going to tell you they are sold-out. That does not mean they truly are, it just means they will not accept any reservations at the moment.

*The Granada Suites is under renovations at the moment. My understanding is that they will accept reservations, but cannot guarantee you a rate at the moment. Be prepared for it to be going up from the year's past due to the renovations and continued area cost hike.

*The Inn at the Peachtrees is ready to accept you now. They will have
their shuttle again. Singles are $129 and doubles are $139.

*There are several other hotels in the midtown area that I do not have
listed on my website. They are 2-4 blocks away (thus walking
distance..just a bit longer). Google Maps is your friend.

The date of the festival is September 9-12, 2009.

Good luck.

Glenn

The Marriott Corporation will not book any rooms more than three months in advance of the show. That means the Residence Inn and Courtyard are going to tell you they are sold-out. That does not mean they truly are, it just means they will not accept any reservations at the moment.

I can confirm this. I tried calling and they are indeed not taking reservations, stating they are booked. I tried both the Residence Inn and Courtyard. The closest one the reservations person told me of was 2 miles south, closer to downtown.

Her suggestion was to keep calling closer to the event.

I already checked the Best Western website and it shows no rooms available at the Granada either.

So it looks like we're really going to have problems this year. :erk:

Right now I have a reservation at the Super 8 and the Inn at the Peachtrees..... not terribly happy that Marriott is pulling rank here. I have a very large collection of Marriott reward points, and they will be hearing from me..

Right now I have a reservation at the Super 8 and the Inn at the Peachtrees..... not terribly happy that Marriott is pulling rank here. I have a very large collection of Marriott reward points, and they will be hearing from me..

I just made a reservation at the Super 8, just in case I can't get anything else. It isn't a bad hotel, but not a great hotel. Oh well.

Yah. If I was a gold member I think they'd give me the room. But a lowly silver member.. no can do.

I just made a reservation at the Super 8, just in case I can't get anything else. It isn't a bad hotel, but not a great hotel. Oh well.

be careful with the super 8. at PPV my friend and i reserved a room there and it was over booked. they moved to some flea bag motel about 4 miles further than we wanted.

i reserved at the inn at the peachtrees with no problem. i met some new friends at PP IX and they stayed at the 12 hotel. said it was really nice but not within my budget for 2 people.

Yep this isn't great news and I don't want to buy a ticket and airfare before I know I have a hotel room. Oh well, I know I have a business trip in Tucson during that month so that might have conflicted anyway.

It is a conspiracy set up by the taxi companies to make a ton of business that weekend. Little do they know how we will mess up the cabs in our 2 mile trip back to the hotel. Spilled beer, farts, vomit anyone?

Yah. If I was a gold member I think they'd give me the room. But a lowly silver member.. no can do.

I am a gold member and they would not book a room for me either. I filed an official grievance (wooo) through the parent company and the hotel has 3-5 business days to come up with a damn good reason why they cannot book me NOW, when they will be able to book me in June/July.

In the meantime, our fallback plan is to stay here: http://atlantaregency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/rooms/room-description.jsp

Almost two miles away, but has a MARTA station right outside the door. Don't know if that is an advantage or not.

Lord I hope we don't have to stay there--it has none of the amenities we are used to at the Residence.

Guys, there is also a hotel (Twelve) across 17th street, plus, as kittybeast can probably fill you in on, there are condo rentals as well. I highly suggest getting a group together and booking one of them. The hotel is a bit more expensive, as it's a high end spot, but it is maybe a 10 minute walk, probably less, from Center Stage. If you're wanting a place just in case, there are a couple of hotels along the Marta line, up near the lindbergh station and the lenox/buckhead stations.

Well, I just booked us a room at the Super 8. Seems to be the only thing remotely close to the venue that is taking reservations. I've been trying to get a room since I got Glenn's e-mail yesterday and that's the first luck I've had finding a room anywhere near Center Stage.

I understand the circumstances and believe me I'm not blaming Glenn at all (it's not his fault there's a conference in town), but I'm just so freakin' bummed out right now, because this year PP will actually be on my birthday (Sept. 11) and it will be the only time since the first year we started coming to ProgPower (PP V) that we haven't stayed at the Granada or Residence. (And although it was still enjoyable, that first year was certainly the least enjoyable of all my years at PP). :erk:

I really hope we can find another spot closer before the show, but at this point I'm not too hopefully. Guess I better mark it down to start my weekly calls to the Granada and Residence to see if anyone from that convention cancels there. **crosses fingers**

Lousy news....on the other hand, note that the Marriott hotels in the area (Residence, Courtyard, and that other one down P'Tree St) are not already sold out per se....just holding off. If the "city-wide conventions" are centered in the downtown area -- which is likely -- then the hotels up by Center Stage won't be the first booking choice for attendees of those conventions, and we can hopefully slip reservations in when they open their bookings.

BTW, the Hyatt Regency is a decent hotel, but pricey for what you get. We've used it as the primary headquarters hotel for Dragon*Con for over a decade.

Speaking of Dragon*Con, it will be ending right before ProgPower starts. If you want to take a loooong vacation.... :lol:

Us too. Called the hotel and reserved with no problem. I initially tried to book it using credit card points. They couldn't do it. They said they weren't showing any availability. Call the hotel itself.

Good point. They might still have rooms.

When I booked there, the lady at the desk (completely aware of ProgPower, of course :)) said that she had 99 rooms available. They were booking them at the rack-rate, and if a lower PP rate is offered later, we'd have to cancel and rebook with no guarantees.

Greetings Glenn, et. al.

The 9th of September 09 is a Wednesday. So, these dates (9 - 12 Sep) are valid?

Good point. Glenn, are we doing anything "official" on Wednesday night in 2009? As I recall, you'd said you were dropping the pre-party.....

i got mine at the inn @ peachtrees. 2.5 miles away but 139.00 a nite beats the residence 250.00 plus we can stop by the dragoncon hotel for their KILLER breakfast bar...THEN walk to the venue or shuttle. w00t