ProgPower USA X: Date & Info

I reserved a 2 bedroom suite at the Granada on thursday.

Same here. :headbang:

A Hyatt Regency doesn't have the amenities of a Residence Inn?

Nope. All rooms at the Residence Inn are suites with (almost) full kitchens, fridges, microwaves, etc. A regular room at the Hyatt -- alas and damnit -- doesn't include a fridge or a microwave.

Guys, there is also a hotel (Twelve) across 17th street, plus, as kittybeast can probably fill you in on, there are condo rentals as well. I highly suggest getting a group together and booking one of them. The hotel is a bit more expensive, as it's a high end spot, but it is maybe a 10 minute walk, probably less, from Center Stage. If you're wanting a place just in case, there are a couple of hotels along the Marta line, up near the lindbergh station and the lenox/buckhead stations.

There are also some other hotel possibilities in downtown (near MARTA P'Tree Ctr Station) that might not be under booking restrictions, including a Days Inn, the abovementioned Hyatt, an Econolodge, and two Hiltons (Atlanta Hilton and Towers, and I believe a new one near Centennial Olympic Park.

And I presume the Sheraton Colony Square at 14th and P'Tree is still open, and it's within walking distance.

i also got a reservation at the granada so far their rates for a king suite is 185.00, if they go up i guess we are stuck with the inn at peachtrees at 139.00

The rates they've quoted me (and I think everyone) were rack-rates; if a lower ProgPower rate comes through later, we have the nonguaranteed option to cancel and rebook.

I got the same thing, but for some reason my suite was 229 not 199, perhaps I have a higher ceiling or something?

Nahh, it's just you. :lol:

My 2-BR suite was actually a bit more than $229, but she said it's a two-story affair. I expect we'll be sharing the space with some others, and if it's too much, I already made a backup reservation at the Inn at the Peachtrees. (The Grenada is infamous for losing reservations. :erk: )

Hey Glenn, as a sponsor last year, I figured I'd be on the Gold Badge list. I didn't, however, get the email. Fortunately, I bunk with Curufin, so we have a room booked at the Granada already, is there any way to get on that list? Should I choose not to sponsor this year, I'd like to make sure I've got the GB :)

edit: also if anyone has a 2br suite at the granada they'll be giving up (lol) let us know.

Nope. All rooms at the Residence Inn are suites with (almost) full kitchens, fridges, microwaves, etc. A regular room at the Hyatt -- alas and damnit -- doesn't include a fridge or a microwave.

Ah, I see what you mean. Though the Residence does have rooms which are not suites... though even those have a small kitchen area by the door.

There are also some other hotel possibilities in downtown (near MARTA P'Tree Ctr Station) that might not be under booking restrictions, including a Days Inn, the abovementioned Hyatt, an Econolodge, and two Hiltons (Atlanta Hilton and Towers, and I believe a new one near Centennial Olympic Park.

Heh... based on past experience, I'd strongly recommend avoiding the Days Inn! :) Heh. There's also a Holiday Inn mixed in there somewhere... not too far from the venue, but just outside of walking range.

And I presume the Sheraton Colony Square at 14th and P'Tree is still open, and it's within walking distance.

My research indicates that the Sheraton has undergone extensive remodeling, and along with that, extensive repricing... to the tune of $285 a night for a single, non-suite room.

I also checked on Hotwire, and they appear to have 2 midtown hotels listed at the moment... a 2-star hotel for $69 / night, and a 3.5 star for $109. Of course, with those, you can't be certain that they will fall inside walking range. It's not like 5 - 6 years ago when you'd find the Residence and Sheraton on Hotwire for $50 - $70 a night, heh.

The rates they've quoted me (and I think everyone) were rack-rates; if a lower ProgPower rate comes through later, we have the nonguaranteed option to cancel and rebook.

I don't understand the "nonguaranteed" option... why would someone cancel their existing reservation unless they knew a room at a lower rate was available at that time?

My 2-BR suite was actually a bit more than $229, but she said it's a two-story affair. I expect we'll be sharing the space with some others, and if it's too much, I already made a backup reservation at the Inn at the Peachtrees. (The Grenada is infamous for losing reservations. :erk: )

Yeah, I still remember the clusterfuck in 2001, heh. I thought all the 2-bedroom suites at the Granada were 2-story though?

I suspect there will still be some shuffling in rooms by the time of the fest though, as the Marriott hotels stop being retarded, heh.

Last year Lance and the guys from Andromeda stayed a few nights at the Days Inn on Northside drive. Althought it is about 11/2 miles from the venue it was a nice and really inexpensive hotel. Clean rooms and a great staff. It was like $50 a night for two double beds, and I think we will stay there this year.

This is now called the "W Midtown" or something under the new "W" brand name. Ugh. It's where I have my reservation, but it's super expensive, so I'm hoping to squeeze into the Residence Inn once they start acting like a business who wants customers.

Ken

Funny, that's what we've had for the past 3 or more years and that's what we requested this year. I wonder why our quote was diff? Maybe we got in right before the memo went out about rate changes? :guh: I'll be surprised if they don't try to charge us more.

Last year Lance and the guys from Andromeda stayed a few nights at the Days Inn on Northside drive. Althought it is about 11/2 miles from the venue it was a nice and really inexpensive hotel. Clean rooms and a great staff. It was like $50 a night for two double beds, and I think we will stay there this year.

I stayed there in 2005, after getting a room for $44 a night on Hotwire... my experience was significantly different... the staff seemed stoned out of their minds, and the first room we got had some weird shit in the corner that might have actually been animal shit. It was actually pretty funny. We told them we wanted a different room and they gave it to us without argument, at least. So, it's good to hear the place has improved. Overall though, I view a hotel room at ProgPower as just a place to sleep and to get ready in the morning. So, I'm not willing to spend the $150 - $300 a night that a lot of these places are charging these days, for various fancy amenities I'm not going to use anyway. But even though it's more expensive than the Days Inn, I'll spend the $69 a night for the Super 8, for the convenience of being within walking distance (the in-room refrigerator is nice too, but not a big deal). It's also convenient not having to drive, so there's no problem drinking when hanging out at the Residence or Granada.

Heh... based on past experience, I'd strongly recommend avoiding the Days Inn! :) Heh.

Which Days Inn? The one by the Inforum at the corner of Spring St and (I think) Harris? Not far from Centennial Olympic Park? That's normally a decent hotel.

I don't understand the "nonguaranteed" option... why would someone cancel their existing reservation unless they knew a room at a lower rate was available at that time?

I'm assuming she meant that if the hotel is sold out and you cancel the old reservation, and someone happens to book in while you're getting the new reservation, you'd be SOL.

Yeah, I still remember the clusterfuck in 2001, heh. I thought all the 2-bedroom suites at the Granada were 2-story though?

It looked to me like the party in Drew's room last year was in a 2-BR, but single-floor suite. I could be wrong about the Grenada, however, since I've never stayed there before.

Funny, that's what we've had for the past 3 or more years and that's what we requested this year. I wonder why our quote was diff? Maybe we got in right before the memo went out about rate changes? :guh: I'll be surprised if they don't try to charge us more.

This is why I booked am emergency backup reservation at a secure, undisclosed location. :lol:

it sucks that The Residence is acting like little kids on this issue.

In fairness to the Residence Inn, this sounds like a corporate decision, not a local one.

It looked to me like the party in Drew's room last year was in a 2-BR, but single-floor suite. I could be wrong about the Grenada, however, since I've never stayed there before.

We were in the RI last year. Every year we've been in the Granada, it's been 2 floors. So you've probably got yourself a 2 floor room. Not quite as spacious, but nice none the less.

Well things are looking good for next year. My friend got us booked at The Inns and The Granada so we have the best of both worlds. Most probably will take The Granada because of proximity to the venue but have the Inn at The Peachtrees just in case the Granada throws a wrench into things. Also, if things work out we can give up the Inn room to someone at PP. Good times!

-Sean Q.

Just booked a suite at the Twelve Hotels at Atlantic Station for $209 a night, only a short walk to the venue.http://www.twelvehotels.com

I know some folks who stayed there last year, and they said it was a fabulous hotel, but that there were quite a few add-on fees to the quoted room rate, which was kind of aggravating.

I've stayed at the Residence the last 3 years, but booked at the Grenada just to make sure I had a room. The lady I booked with told me that my rate was locked, even if rates went up after the rennovations. I'm not holding my breath for the quoted rate -- it sounds like they don't have all the staff on the same page.

I will probably try to get in at the Residence as the date gets closer. Does anyone know if regular rooms at the Grenada (as opposed to suites) have a fridge and microwave? That's part of my attraction to the Residence, since I can eat a little cheaper (and healthier) by bringing my own food into the venue.

Reserved at the Granada....$155/night for a single suite....a Hell of a lot more than I wanted to pay, or might end up paying, but whatever.
This will be my first time staying at the Granada, as we have stayed at the Inn at the Peachtrees the past two years.
I'm so excited!

Nice! Closer together there so more debauchery! Or, there's plan F...

-MetalRose