ProgPower USA X: Date & Info

This is now called the "W Midtown" or something under the new "W" brand name. Ugh. It's where I have my reservation, but it's super expensive, so I'm hoping to squeeze into the Residence Inn once they start acting like a business who wants customers.

We're at the W as well. I stayed there when it was the Sheraton and the walk was fine. I've stayed in the W in Time's Square, and it is a very nice hotel. I don't know that with the convention going on that the Residence is going to be much cheaper than the W anyway.

Hey Glenn, as a sponsor last year, I figured I'd be on the Gold Badge list. I didn't, however, get the email. Fortunately, I bunk with Curufin, so we have a room booked at the Granada already, is there any way to get on that list? Should I choose not to sponsor this year, I'd like to make sure I've got the GB :)

edit: also if anyone has a 2br suite at the granada they'll be giving up (lol) let us know.

I am in the same boat. First I heard about it was getting back into town last night - the Inn at Peachtrees is all booked up - grrr, that has become our regular hangout. I know a lot of people here are just holding reservations until we cross the threshold and other hotels start opening up but I don't like not having things booked way in advance. I'd rather call em every two months and make sure they still have my reservation.

I think we have to email Glenn about getting back on the GB list after being sponsors - but I was waiting to hear from him on a general sponsorship thing anyway after things settle down for him, so I may try to get back on the GB list at that time. Regardless of being either a condo-dweller, taxi-cab rider or homeless - I will be there with at least a GB :) The Inn has a cool little courtyard - worst case scenario I will tell them tha I have a room but prefer sleeping outside ;-)

Cheers
Jeff

For those 100% sure they're going and are willing to walk, there's always Priceline.com
$65/night at The Georgian Terrace Hotel (3 1/2*). Right next to Hotel Indigo which was a very nice European boutique hotel we stayed at this past PP. Unfortunately neither offers a complimentary breakfast but there's a Dunkin Donuts nearby. It's also about a 20-25 minute walk. I can easily suffer the walk and no breakfast for half the price of the nearby hotels.
On Priceline, you can choose the hotel star rating, general location of the hotel (Midtown Atlanta is unfortunately a large area). The location is pretty nice and the walk home has at least three places to eat open late at night. Including a 24 hr diner that was no more than 2 blocks from the hotel.
Obviously you aren't guaranteed that hotel if you bid but there's only 2 or 3 per star rating usually and this website/forum lets you know what hotels are typically offered under the different ratings.

Got a room at the Granada. We would prefer the Residence, so if something opens up there, we'll likely switch.

dt

Why would you rather have the Residence over the Granada? I have never stayed at either and just booked the Granada so I was just wondering if it sucks or what.

FatesFan, we just prefer the Residence because we like having the kitchen. I have an odd diet, and like being able to put stuff in the room that I can eat, especially when coming back from the show at 1 AM. While we've never stayed at the Granada, we've been in the hotel and it is perfectly fine. There's nothing you should worry about.

dt

Did Inn @ the Peachtrees last year - great people, great hotel, lots of food choices close by & MARTA... And the shuttle was great!!!!

got our space!!!!

FatesFan, we just prefer the Residence because we like having the kitchen. I have an odd diet, and like being able to put stuff in the room that I can eat, especially when coming back from the show at 1 AM. While we've never stayed at the Granada, we've been in the hotel and it is perfectly fine. There's nothing you should worry about.

dt

Thanks for the info. :kickass:

The greatest thing that the Residence offers.... is no charge shopping! You get a card in your room, fill it out with whatever you want from the local Krogers... they run out that day, and buy up whatever you want, and deliver it to your room. There is no charge for this service, and they simply add the items to your room tab. Great perk for those in the area without a car!

$65/night at The Georgian Terrace Hotel (3 1/2*). .
Stayed at the Georgian Terrace first year at PP. Very very nice hotel and should be rated higher than 3 1.2. They are a bit "uppity" and strict.

We first made our trip to the liquor store/food run and was told we couldn't bring in 2 12paks of beer.... the concierge would hold onto our beers and we can have a 6 pack at a time. This did not sit well with us, so we put it all back in the car and came back later, tipped a bell hop and got it all upstairs.

The greatest thing that the Residence offers.... is no charge shopping! You get a card in your room, fill it out with whatever you want from the local Krogers... they run out that day, and buy up whatever you want, and deliver it to your room. There is no charge for this service, and they simply add the items to your room tab. Great perk for those in the area without a car!

They do, however, question you regarding the amount of bananas on your room's groceries list. That's unacceptable.

:lol:

Booked at the Granada for the first time. I'll have 2 PPUSA virgins with me rooming so it should be interesting.

Least I'll be closer to raise some hell with SwordLord this time! :kickass:

Stayed at the Georgian Terrace first year at PP. Very very nice hotel and should be rated higher than 3 1.2. They are a bit "uppity" and strict.

We first made our trip to the liquor store/food run and was told we couldn't bring in 2 12paks of beer.... the concierge would hold onto our beers and we can have a 6 pack at a time. This did not sit well with us, so we put it all back in the car and came back later, tipped a bell hop and got it all upstairs.

I'm not surprised since it's considered a little bit of a "historic landmark" hotel. I let others host the parties so not allowing me to bring beer up doesn't bother me much and I can always revert to my college years of book bag beer stashing. And the price for a 3 1/2* hotel certainly can't be much better, especially with already talked about hotel issues for this coming year. I'd probably be annoyed if I paid their regular prices, though.
Hotel Indigo next door has a nice patio and a bar downstairs that I'm sure guests of the Georgian could stop at. When we got back from PP each night there were people hanging out on the patio drinking even though the bar was long since closed (I know on Thursday it was last call at midnight) so they're a place that seems pretty cool with people hanging outside ala RI.
With the Roxy right across the street I may think about seeing a show on Wed or Thurs night depending on my interest in the bands/whatever is going on and what is at the Roxy. This year Les Miz was there and had I known in advance I probably would have skipped the Helloween show.

With the Roxy right across the street I may think about seeing a show on Wed or Thurs night depending on my interest in the bands/whatever is going on and what is at the Roxy. This year Les Miz was there and had I known in advance I probably would have skipped the Helloween show.

Did you mean the Fox Theater? The Roxy is up in Buckhead, and is currently closed for renovations.

So this is my first time going to Progpower and I have a question about food in the area near the venue. Since I don't know how to drive, I'm limited to where I can walk. Is there places to eat (it doesn't have to be fancy) near the venue or nearby hotels? An in-hotel restaurant would be nice but not required :)