ProgPower USA X: Date & Info

It is a conspiracy set up by the taxi companies to make a ton of business that weekend. Little do they know how we will mess up the cabs in our 2 mile trip back to the hotel. Spilled beer, farts, vomit anyone?

Heh... that's why I drive! Of course I like to stay within walking distance regardless! :)

I am a gold member and they would not book a room for me either. I filed an official grievance (wooo) through the parent company and the hotel has 3-5 business days to come up with a damn good reason why they cannot book me NOW, when they will be able to book me in June/July.

Yeah! Don't let the man screw with you! :)

In the meantime, our fallback plan is to stay here: http://atlantaregency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/rooms/room-description.jsp

Almost two miles away, but has a MARTA station right outside the door. Don't know if that is an advantage or not.

It could be an advantage when getting to the venue in the afternoon, but since the system stops running by 1:00 AM, it's not going to help when trying to get back to the hotel.

Lord I hope we don't have to stay there--it has none of the amenities we are used to at the Residence.

A Hyatt Regency doesn't have the amenities of a Residence Inn?

Reminder:

*The Marriott Hotels are not sold-out. They are just refusing bookings at the moment per their corporate directive. I guarantee you there will be rooms available to be booked inside of the 3 month rule. How many? No clue. Pellaz explains this perfectly.

*Freakchylde has listed a *very* good alternative.

*Tenth Dreamer's post makes no sense to me, but to each his own. There are plenty of hotel rooms available to be booked. They simply may not be where you want them. It may cost you a taxi ride back at night, but that's it. If the location of your hotel is more important than the event itself, then you probably don't have any business going anyway.

*I am planning something on Wed. night. Details TBA.

Us too. Called the hotel and reserved with no problem. I initially tried to book it using credit card points. They couldn't do it. They said they weren't showing any availability. Call the hotel itself.
Thanks you for this suggestion. (I was trying the Granada's website last night, which has always worked well for me before, but I think next year I'll skip straight to the phone lines.) I just called and booked a king suite for us a few minutes ago, and thus am much less stressed out. :kickass: :danceboy: :D
For now, I'm keeping my reservation at the Super 8 just to be on the safe side.

What confuses the hell out of me (and admittedly caused me to panic a bit) is that I didn't get the e-mail from Glenn in my inbox until very late last night, like 11 pm, although it's date stamp says it was delivered to my box on Thursday afternoon. :guh: (Stupid Yahoo!)

i also got a reservation at the granada so far their rates for a king suite is 185.00, if they go up i guess we are stuck with the inn at peachtrees at 139.00

Just so people know, I believe at the moment you can get a regular King room at the Granada for $135, as opposed to the $185 suite (rooms with 2 beds are already sold out). Of course, if you specifically *want* the suite, that's different. :)

I apologize for the probably retarded question I'm about to ask, but hopefully I can get an answer here. This will be my first time attending the festival and I was wondering what happens on each of the 4 days listed (not specific to this year, just in general). Since I live in California, I can't make it to the Wednesday and Thursday night events and I was wondering what happens these nights. From what I've read, it seems like the festival is Friday and Saturday, and then a pre-party / concert is on Wednesday and Thursday?

Second, when do tickets for the non-special people typically go on sale?

Finally, on Friday and Saturday, what time does the concert start? I attended BARFest this past summer and the doors opened at around 6PM - 7PM ish, but I thought I read they open at around 3PM for this concert.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well, in fests past, Thursday night was the pre-party concert. It has kept evolving from the point where it was smaller, local bands, to now larger bands, often returns from the previous year, (who can't play the main dates two years in a row.) So, now it's called the Showcase, essentially making it a three day festival. Last year was special with Helloween playing so it was part of ProgPower proper. I suspect this next fest it will be the Showcase again.

Wednesday has typically been a pre-pre-party with a smaller gig ending early and then karoake (or however you spell it.)

Usually, Friday and Saturdays shows start at 5:00, though there were extra bands this year so it started earlier. Usually, doors are at 4:00, if I remember correctly.

i also got a reservation at the granada so far their rates for a king suite is 185.00, if they go up i guess we are stuck with the inn at peachtrees at 139.00

We were quoted $199 for 2-bedroom suite, like previous years. While they might raise the rate after the renovations, that is the rate we were quoted and are suppose to get an email confirming that, so we're going to try to hold them to it. The only thing they said was that if a group rate is put into place for the fest, we would not get a discount, but suites were not included in that last year anyway.

I apologize for the probably retarded question I'm about to ask, but hopefully I can get an answer here.

No apology necessary. The only retarded thing is not to ask!

This will be my first time attending the festival and I was wondering what happens on each of the 4 days listed (not specific to this year, just in general). Since I live in California, I can't make it to the Wednesday and Thursday night events

Heh... how does living in California make it harder to arrive on Wednesday than, say, living in Idaho? :)

and I was wondering what happens these nights.

Orgies! :headbang::headbang::headbang: LOL

From what I've read, it seems like the festival is Friday and Saturday, and then a pre-party / concert is on Wednesday and Thursday?

The festival started out in 2001 being just Friday night and Saturday night. Then Thursday night gradually evolved over the years from a low-key affair to pretty much the 3rd day of the festival, with full sets, sometimes returning bands from the previous years, etc. Wednesday then became an informal hanging out night. Eventually a metal karaoke was added, last year a Jon Oliva acoustic set was integrated into the karaoke event, and this year the originally-planned Zak Stevens acoustic set expanded into a full-on Circle II Circle headlining set. At this point, only Glenn knows what will happen on Wednesday night next year... I'm thinking it might not necessarily be a full set with 3 - 4 bands or whatever. But either way, I'd recommend trying to be there as many days as possible! :)

when do tickets for the non-special people typically go on sale?

I don't think it has been announced yet, but when it is, it will undoubtedly be posted here. Typically it has been sometime in the spring.

Finally, on Friday and Saturday, what time does the concert start? I attended BARFest this past summer and the doors opened at around 6PM - 7PM ish, but I thought I read they open at around 3PM for this concert.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Doors to the outer part of the venue and the vendor room open around 1:00... the last couple years, the doors to the main venue have been opening at 3:00... particularly as there are often 6 sets per night now, and the first band starts playing around 4:00 or shortly thereafter.

Thanks for the information you two! When I meant being in California makes it harder, I guess I should've worded it as "being out of the state makes it harder to attend the weekday night concerts." This is especially difficult since my college usually starts on that Wednesday and Thursday. Usually, missing a few days of class isn't too big of a deal, but if you miss the first day, you're usually dropped from the class. Maybe once I graduate and have a real job, I can take real "vacation time" off to attend the entire thing. See everyone there (hopefully).

We were quoted $199 for 2-bedroom suite, like previous years. While they might raise the rate after the renovations, that is the rate we were quoted and are suppose to get an email confirming that, so we're going to try to hold them to it. The only thing they said was that if a group rate is put into place for the fest, we would not get a discount, but suites were not included in that last year anyway.

I got the same thing, but for some reason my suite was 229 not 199, perhaps I have a higher ceiling or something?