Progpower X Line Up

SharkBlack

Jul 13, 2005
San Jose, Ca
I am really excited about the line up next year. Orphaned Land, Pagan's Mind, Brainstorm and of course one of my favorite bands of ALL time FATES WARNING!!:kickass::kickass::kickass:

I was also happy to see Power Quest, Tommorow's Eve, Sabaton and Andre Matos on Friday...
Looks like another good year in Atlanta...:headbang: Unless you're Sorrel, cause he hates almost everything...:lol::lol::lol:

Progpower X Video

Friday
Power quest
Tomorrow's eve
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Sabaton
Royal Hunt
Andre Matos

Saturday
Circus Maximus
Orphaned Land
Pagan's Mind
Brainstorm
Fates Warning:kickass:

I am really excited about the line up next year. Orphaned Land, Pagan's Mind, Brainstorm and of course one of my favorite bands of ALL time FATES WARNING!!:kickass::kickass::kickass:

I was also happy to see Power Quest, Tommorow's Eve, Sabaton and Andre Matos on Friday...
Looks like another good year in Atlanta...:headbang: Unless you're Sorrel, cause he hates almost everything...:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: No. I just hate most prog.

Damn! Great lineup...

NOT!

:lol:

Have a great time. I'm sure it'll be a great show. No, seriously. I mean it. Maybe Pagan's Mind will play an original tune. I mean, one not plagiarized from DT. :lol:

Sorry. I guess I wasn't quite done. Have fun Big B!

SS

Have you listened to Pagan's Mind Lately? I don't get the DT comparison. Nil's vocals are so much better than Labrie. You should have heard the guy shredding some King Diamond last year during the allstar jam. Their music has changed a lot through their 4 albums.. Their guitarist Jorn Viggo is pretty damned skilled and plays some heavy shit.

When I saw them a few years back they didn't do a whole lot for me, but they have grown immensely, and when I saw them last year they blew me and everyone else there away... I love Enigmatic Calling.. Original killer album... Listened to it for a month straight...

Oh and I LOVE PROG!!!:kickass::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: No. I just hate most prog.

Damn! Great lineup...

NOT!

:lol:

Have a great time. I'm sure it'll be a great show. No, seriously. I mean it. Maybe Pagan's Mind will play an original tune. I mean, one not plagiarized from DT. :lol:

Sorry. I guess I wasn't quite done. Have fun Big B!

SS

Have you listened to Pagan's Mind Lately? I don't get the DT comparison. Nil's vocals are so much better than Labrie. You should have heard the guy shredding some King Diamond last year during the allstar jam. Their music has changed a lot through their 4 albums.. Their guitarist Jorn Viggo is pretty damned skilled and plays some heavy shit.

Well, I heard their first record. It screamed DT RIPOFF!!!!!!!!

Then, you told me that I needed to hear their new record. I bought it. Yes, they are amazing musicians. Yes, the guitarist makes me look like shit. Yes, their vocalist has an octave of range above mine.

But! If vocal range, guitar acrobatics, and non-stop shredding were the only measures of a great band...NITRO would still be selling records. Lemme guess, you love Nitro too? :lol:

My point is; a disc filled with 1,000,000 notes of pure technical mastery may be a neat trick, but it has NO soul! Sanctimonious prog-shredders make my ass tired!

Clearly, I'm playing to the wrong fucking genre.

I'm sorry. I'm not going to mark-out to a band just to make prog fans think I'm deep. You say "Sorrell hates everything". No. I just have no love for sterile, emotionless wanking.

Case in point: Vanden Plas does a cover of "Gethsemane" from the movie Jesus Christ Superstar. Tedd Nealy made me cry when he sang that song. The whining little bitch that sings for V.P. drained all the emotion, pain and anguish out of that song in favor of singing higher notes and trying to impress. He ruined a beautiful song. I'd bet that die hard prog fans love that version. That's where I part ways with the genre.

Rock on dudes! :headbang: To each his own.

SS

Well, I heard their first record. It screamed DT RIPOFF!!!!!!!!

Then, you told me that I needed to hear their new record. I bought it. Yes, they are amazing musicians. Yes, the guitarist makes me look like shit. Yes, their vocalist has an octave of range above mine.

But! If vocal range, guitar acrobatics, and non-stop shredding were the only measures of a great band...NITRO would still be selling records. Lemme guess, you love Nitro too? :lol:

My point is; a disc filled with 1,000,000 notes of pure technical mastery may be a neat trick, but it has NO soul! Sanctimonious prog-shredders make my ass tired!

Clearly, I'm playing to the wrong fucking genre.

I'm sorry. I'm not going to mark-out to a band just to make prog fans think I'm deep. You say "Sorrell hates everything". No. I just have no love for sterile, emotionless wanking.

Case in point: Vanden Plas does a cover of "Gethsemane" from the movie Jesus Christ Superstar. Tedd Nealy made me cry when he sang that song. The whining little bitch that sings for V.P. drained all the emotion, pain and anguish out of that song in favor of singing higher notes and trying to impress. He ruined a beautiful song. I'd bet that die hard prog fans love that version. That's where I part ways with the genre.

Rock on dudes! :headbang: To each his own.

SS

Well right on dude... You da man for giving it a try:headbang:. I know what you mean about a billion notes for the sake of notes. That's why I've never been able to get totally into many solo artists like Vai and Satriani, hell even awesome players like Jeff Beck. While they can impress me with their talent, and I take away some pleasure in that, but if a song is just platform for a bunch of noodling it gets boring. But with PM, I just think they tow a good line between prog and power. But I don't find that they have an enormous amount of excess notarization...:lol: He can play a lot of notes but I think he can play many notes and give them soul. I really like their song writing and Nils voice just does it for me, the dude is amazing. Plus I've seen them live and they blew down a few doors.

Any ol ways, I totally get where you're coming from, There are a many things that don't touch my music spirit either. To each his own... that why music RULES!:kickass:

Well right on dude... You da man for giving it a try:headbang:. I know what you mean about a billion notes for the sake of notes. That's why I've never been able to get totally into many solo artists like Vai and Satriani, hell even awesome players like Jeff Beck. While they can impress me with their talent, and I take away some pleasure in that, but if a song is just platform for a bunch of noodling it gets boring. But with PM, I just think they tow a good line between prog and power. But I don't find that they have an enormous amount of excess notarization...:lol: He can play a lot of notes but I think he can play many notes and give them soul. I really like their song writing and Nils voice just does it for me, the dude is amazing. Plus I've seen them live and they blew down a few doors.

Any ol ways, I totally get where you're coming from, There are a many things that don't touch my music spirit either. To each his own... that why music RULES!:kickass:

Well said. One's musical taste is such an individual expression. You and I take our music VERY seriously; both likes and dislikes. That's what makes it cool.

I used to think that I had eclectic taste...then I met you. I take my hat off to your open mind. :kickass:

Almost forgot; As much as I tend to be annoyed by "prog", I am still one of the biggest Vai fans in the world. I can't explain it. His music moves me. I think it's his unbridled creativity. I wish I had just a fraction of his ability to think SOOOOO far outside the box.

And, I love to hear a world-class shredder. :headbang: I just believe (as with all things) there is a time and a place. Those (time and place) are not set in stone. It's just whenever the mood to shred strikes me! :heh: I still practice shred licks more than anything else. Mostly, just to keep me in shape...my hands, that is.

As a non-football, hockey, baseball, basketball etc. fan, I really love these topics.

Thanks!

SS

Well said. One's musical taste is such an individual expression. You and I take our music VERY seriously; both likes and dislikes. That's what makes it cool.

I used to think that I had eclectic taste...then I met you. I take my hat off to your open mind. :kickass:

Almost forgot; As much as I tend to be annoyed by "prog", I am still one of the biggest Vai fans in the world. I can't explain it. His music moves me. I think it's his unbridled creativity. I wish I had just a fraction of his ability to think SOOOOO far outside the box.

And, I love to hear a world-class shredder. :headbang: I just believe (as with all things) there is a time and a place. Those (time and place) are not set in stone. It's just whenever the mood to shred strikes me! :heh: I still practice shred licks more than anything else. Mostly, just to keep me in shape...my hands, that is.

As a non-football, hockey, baseball, basketball etc. fan, I really love these topics.

Thanks!

SS

We need to get together soon and drink copious amounts of beer and listen to some shitty music! :kickass::kickass::kickass:

I just don't even worry about shredding, fast playing, 20 minute long songs, concepts, "David Coverdale Vocals", or crap like that anymore. If I hear something and I like it, I like it and I'll play it (and buy it)....but that's all that matters. If someone else likes or dislikes what I like it just doesn't matter to me. My daughter has the same taste as me so we rock out in my truck. I like that.

I just don't even worry about shredding, fast playing, 20 minute long songs, concepts, "David Coverdale Vocals", or crap like that anymore. If I hear something and I like it, I like it and I'll play it (and buy it)....but that's all that matters. If someone else likes or dislikes what I like it just doesn't matter to me. My daughter has the same taste as me so we rock out in my truck. I like that.

:kickass:

Music has to come from 2 places.......... your crotch............. or you heart to connect with me.

Most prog comes from the head with some wanker playing scales to a metronome, that said , give me early Genesis or early Journey.

Sorry I am 50 on Monday.

Sorrell, it seems like Glenn is getting heavier & less proggy with the bands he chooses for PPUSA as the years go by, so maybe in a couple more years he'll come up with a lineup that you'll like..hehe! ;)

Sorrell, it seems like Glenn is getting heavier & less proggy with the bands he chooses for PPUSA as the years go by, so maybe in a couple more years he'll come up with a lineup that you'll like..hehe! ;)

:lol: I'm sure I'd love seeing these bands. It's always better seeing them live.

Actually, I'd like to see the show, if it was on my coast. I'm not willing to travel quite that far for a concert. You guys are true fans! :headbang: Shit, I didn't even go to Texas to see the only Ozzfest show this year. Traditionally, my whole summer is spent counting down the days to Ozzfest.

Have a great time at the show. :kickass:

SS

You should get your arse to BARfest next year then, for the networking opportunities if nothing else..it's right in your backyard. :)

Brett,

I went back and gave the newest record another listen. See? I do respect your opinion.

The band are very skilled. The guitarist is awesome. If he had an instrumental record, I'd buy it. There were a couple of solo sections on this record that had me on the rewind button for another listen.

So, with that said; it's not them. It's me. Their music just doesn't appeal to me. I can't explain why certain music moves me and some doesn't.

I would like to see them live though. I have a feeling their tunes would translate to the stage very well.

SS