ProgPower

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Pre-Party

Theocracy - I was drinking/talking with friends and didn't see/hear a second of their set.

Circus Maximus - the mix was off, but that wasn't their fault. I thought the guitar player sounded sloppy. However, since I couldn't find anyone who actually knows how to play guitar agree with my assessment, it's probably safe to assume I have no clue what I'm talking about (what else is new?). As always, Mike's voice was godly. Can't wait for the new CD.

Leatherwolf - I was drinking/talking with friends and didn't see/hear a second of their set.

Circle II Circle - I was drinking/talking with friends and didn't see/hear a second of their set.

Day 1

Pyramaze - awesome. Perhaps the best opening band in the history of ProgPower (it's between them and Zero Hour at PPIII). Lance sounded phenomenal. The band was very energetic and clearly pumped to be there and the crowd responded in kind. I thought it was quite cool that they requested to go on 15 minutes early so that they could play extra material.

Savage Circus - very tight. Their music works quite well live. If I had one complaint, it would be that the singer kept a lyric sheet on the stage floor in front of his mic. He didn’t spend every second of every song doing this. However, between verses, he would glance down and make sure he knew what he had to sing next. This aside, they’re a very good live band.

Freak Kitchen – musically, they’re tight. However, what separates them from the pack is, Mattias has the coolest, funniest stage persona ever. It’s hard to top playing a guitar solo with a vibrator. As far as post-show buzz goes, they stole the show.

Mercenary - I was drinking/talking with friends and didn't see/hear a second of their set. This was the one band I missed, that I would have liked to have seen. I got a chance to talk to the guys from the band at one of the after-parties (all of which were very cool). Hopefully they’ll tour NYC sometime soon and I’ll get to see them.

Evergrey – two songs and then back to the bar to socialize. These guys just don’t do it for me anymore. First off, their recent change in musical direction doesn’t interest me. More importantly, the last time I went to see them (Jaxx in VA) they decided to get drunk and not pay all that much attention to their musical performance. This time around, I figured I’d return the favor. So, I got drunk and didn’t pay much attention to their musical performance.

Day 2

Zero Hour – first off, if you think there’s a better technical bass player on the planet than Troy Tipton, you’re simply wrong. Given that Jasun is a guitar god and Mike Guy is an absolute machine, it's almost redundant to point out that their performance was flawless. The new vocalist (Chris) is excellent. He's really honed his style since his Power of Omens days. The only thing that detracted from their perfomance was that I hadn’t had a chance to get familiar with their new material. That said, these guys continue to be, hands down, the best pure Prog Metal band on the planet.

Vision Divine – checked out the first song. As chance would have it, it’s the only song I like by them. They are exceptionally tight and polished sounding. That said, they’re music just doesn’t do it for me, so off to the bar.

Thunderstone - I was drinking/talking with friends and didn't see/hear a second of their set.

Epica - I was drinking/talking with friends and didn't see/hear a second of their set.

Jorn – I popped in and out during this set. Basically, the only reason I even bothered was, I wanted to see the “special performance” Glenn had promised. For the finale, the lead singers of Circle II Circle, Circus Maximus, Zero Hour, Pyramaze, Mercenary, and the guitar players from Circus Maximus and Freak Kitchen all joined Jorn on stage and performed the Hearing Aid song “Stars” (from the Dio-led Heavy Metal project for African hunger relief). This was totally awesome. The rest of Jorn’s set was boring and contained far too many cover songs for a headlining act.

Overall, I had a great time. Great people, great venue and even some great music.

Zod

Next year, I swear I will go to this no matter what. People talked about this being the weakest lineup yet, but really I would have loved to have seen about half of those bands.

General Zod said:
For what it's worth, I found them pretty disappointing. And I know Dark One, whose a huge Manticora fanboy, also found them disappointing.

Yeah, disappointing opener for sure. Perhaps if they come back it will be with a bit more focus. The performance downgraded them a notch in my book as well. Still like 'em, but not to the same degree.

Just curious though - did you post your review on the PP forum?

nice review, even though I am only familar with about 2 bands on that list ... bah

any pics from the show?

Pyrus said:
Man, I completely forgot this was happening. That is a pretty weak lineup; admittedly it's more like ProgPOWER for me, so maybe there's some great prog stuff I'm not seeing.

Hopefully Manticora will come back when I have money.

It's been more power than prog since the third installment at least, nothing new there (though last year had the festival's most eclectic lineup)...when can those of us who weren't at PP get their hands on the new Zero Hour?

Pyrus said:
admittedly it's more like ProgPOWER for me, so maybe there's some great prog stuff I'm not seeing.

The Power overload was by design for this year. Glenn has said he intends to tip the see-saw for the PROGpower side next year. If what I've been RELIABLY INFORMED about which guests are already committing is an indication, then PP8 /2007 should be a MUCH MORE GINORMOUS year.

Glenn has also said PP 2008 and beyond will have closer balances.

Btw, best 2 bands at PP this year: Pyramaze and Freak Kitchen.

Never heard a single note by Freak Kitchen before the show (avoided them on name alone) but they turned out to rule. I'm sure the live experience is what sets them apart, however.

If your joking I will kill you.

Dear sweet fucking allah I could die a happy man if they played that fest. I would pay Glen to let them headline.

Well, I'm only offering up what rumours I heard (coming from the sponsors / vendors).

I do know that Glenn has a bunch of bands already booked for next year, but he won't reveal until January.