When did Satyricon go wrong?

Worst full-length album? When did Satyricon jump the shark?

• The Shadowthrone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nemesis Divina

• Volcano

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Been listening to a lot of DMT lately, and though this thread parallels this one, I wanted to set up a poll. Comments are definitely encouraged, except impatient ones regarding the poll's initial absence. Which album is their best/worst? Have they improved since their worst album was released?

only heard the first three. SHadowthrone and DMT are both fantastic. I like Nemesis Divina, but you can hear a band starting to lose their way (compared to the first two)

I think they went wrong somewhere around RE. When they started looking at it more as comercial rock than metal.

Satyricon is in my opinion the least essential of all bands considered as the "pionneers" of black metal. Never seen the big thing in their music, that's why I don't own any of their stuff anymore.

Anyway to the poll: "Rebel Extravaganza" obviously. "Nemesis Divina" is still ok, though it has their best song ever ("Dawn of a New Age") and very nondescript material on the other hand.

Ellestin said:
Satyricon is in my opinion the least essential of all bands considered as the "pionneers" of black metal. Never seen the big thing in their music, that's why I don't own any of their stuff anymore.

Anyway to the poll: "Rebel Extravaganza" obviously. "Nemesis Divina" is still ok, though it has their best song ever ("Dawn of a New Age") and very nondescript material on the other hand.
Agreed, except switch Dawn of a New Age with Mother North

Ellestin said:
Satyricon is in my opinion the least essential of all bands considered as the "pionneers" of black metal. Never seen the big thing in their music
i never did

until i got

DARK

MEDIEVAL

TIMES

WALK THE PATH OF

FUCKEN

SORROW

!!!

J. said:
only heard the first three. SHadowthrone and DMT are both fantastic. I like Nemesis Divina, but you can hear a band starting to lose their way (compared to the first two)
agreed

except i've heard a couple of songs from RE and V and i didn't like them

I don't think Satyricon went wrong anywhere, and especially at Rebel Extravaganza. RE is considered a landmark album in terms of it helping to create what is now known as "post black metal". It was one of the first non-electronic BM albums to really have a cold, mechanical, industrial feel.

no matter what anyone does nothing will ever top mysticum's "in the streams of inferno" as far as "cold, mechanical, industrial" goes

yes and i'm aware you would call that "electronic"

Nate The Great said:
RE is considered a landmark album in terms of it helping to create what is now known as "post black metal".

OK. Not by me though. It's plain boring and hollow trad black metal with a very dehumanized realization/execution, but to each his own. Blut aus Nord are much more representative of what I'd call "post"-BM...

Frankly I don't see where this band is GREAT. They are good but not overly talented songwriters save for a couple highlights in the early stages. The media-made charisma helps for sure.

Erik said:
no matter what anyone does nothing will ever top mysticum's "in the streams of inferno" as far as "cold, mechanical, industrial" goes

yes and i'm aware you would call that "electronic"

I've been meaning to get that album for a while.

Ellestin said:
OK. Not by me though. It's plain boring and hollow trad black metal with a very dehumanized realization/execution, but to each his own. Blut aus Nord are much more representative of what I'd call "post"-BM...

Frankly I don't see where this band is GREAT. They are good but not overly talented songwriters save for a couple highlights in the early stages. The media-made charisma helps for sure.

Satyricon was doing "post BM" in 1999. Blut Aus Nord didn't become post BM until 2003 or so.