UM's Top Albums of 2006

Melecesh is definitely 2007, and I was one of the people that sold out The End. They won't be shipping them until Jan. 3, though.

Ruun is definitely 2006.

I have the Ludicra CD, but I just haven't listened to it enough yet. I really like it, though.

UM is looking for new writers, so if anybody knows of anybody that wants to help us fill in the holes in our metal tastes, let us know.

My penis is 8 inches long . . . . . . . . . in a cold shower.

Tom Strutton

As usual I spent most of my year trawling through the last 35 years of popular music history, playing catch up. However, I did find the time to listen to and appreciate several outstanding releases of 2006. No doubt the early part of 2007 will be used to familiarize myself with the great albums of 2006 that slipped past me unnoticed. :) Only two albums released in 2006 really made my jaw hit the floor so far, these being the first two on my list. As for the other four…I would recommend them strongly but not above anything that the other writers have put on their lists.

1. Jeniferever – Choose a Bright Morning
Jeniferever are a post-rock band from Sweden, and Choose a Bright Morning is their debut album. This is by far and away one of the most intelligent, sensitive, musically complex and self-assured albums I have ever heard, and if this was the only album to have actually been released in 2006 I would be a happy man. Every track is magical and the songs will stay with you for a long, long time.

2. Decapitated – Organic Hallucinosis
Hands down my favourite and most highly recommended metal album of 2006. Decapitated are in a league of their own and this is a monumental leap forward from 2004's The Negation. New vocalist Covan fits remarkably well into the band and his anxious vocal delivery adds a much-needed sense of urgency to the furiously technical compositions. I worry that Decapitated are a little misunderstood and underappreciated in the metal world; in my mind Organic Hallucinosis has cemented their rightful claim to legendary status. This album is a shining beacon of hope amidst the gloom of mediocrity that threatens to envelop and extinguish the good taste of metal fans everywhere.

3. Yyrkoon – Unhealthy Opera
With this follow up to 2004's Occult Medicine, Yyrkoon look unlikely to ever disappoint. No-nonsense, hard-hitting death metal with an emphasis on grooves that bring a smile to the face. The world is a better place for Yyrkoon.

4. Disillusion – Gloria
This simply oozes class and sophistication. On top of that it is incredibly self-assured for an album that takes a stylistic departure from its predecessor when arguably one wasn't necessary. This won't be to everyone's taste, but if you like your choruses sumptuous and memorable then Gloria was made especially for you.

5. Negura Bunget – Om
Om inhabits its own little world, and I was more than happy to dwell in that world soaking up its rich ambient soundscapes. Very pleasant indeed.

6. Dragonforce – Inhuman Rampage
Okay, these guys get boring really fast and their live show is as boring as…well, just really boring. But they sure as hell know how to make a happy, catchy, adrenaline-fuelled eight-minute long pop song. This is included in my list because it is a guilty pleasure. I am not interested in how fast or technical the band can play, what impresses me the most is how their songs are constructed. I won't go into detail here but any composers out there may know what I'm getting at. Oh, and the production value is superb, ideally married to the style of music.

:wave:

Agalloch doesn't tour near enough to ever get a following anywhere near Opeth's level. That alone will keep them from any real commercial success. I realize they are touring more than ever now, but it still doesn't come close to the amount Opeth tours. In general an undergournd band's success is directly related to touring (there are exceptions - Darkthrone).

Agalloch doesn't tour near enough to ever get a following anywhere near Opeth's level. That alone will keep them from any real commercial success.
Plus, the vocals. While some may like Agalloch's vocals, they're simply not as accessible as Opeth's. I think Mikael's clean vocals have gone a long way to bringing new fans into the Opeth fold.

Zod

My impression is that, nowadays, Opeth is mainly hailed for their ability as musicians, hence the numerous new fans since a couple of years. Hell I think I saw several threads on the Opeth forum about Mikeal and Peter's guitars..brand/model/custom wtf.

Agalloch aren't near as complex or 'musical' as Opeth is . People would often complain about their lame production or the bad drumming. There's no risk I tell ya.

I read that interview of Agalloch at the release of Ashes Againt the Grain where they said that they would take their time for the next one. The less expectations you have, the more it blows you away :kickass:

I agree with the points being made here, I'd also add they take enough time between albums to slow down momentum in the commercial sense, Agalloch may have won a few fans from outside metal circles with AATG (which may have been part of their intention), but I wouldn't worry about them diluting their sound and winning an Opeth-like following in the process just yet, nothing in their music has suggested such a direction...as for the regressive comment, I hope it's the exact opposite and they become less conventional than usual and release something that would alienate the scenesters (of course, I know "regressive" probably means raw and black metallish in that conext...which would also work...).

No no no I didn't mean commercially, I was talking more about Agalloch becoming the darling band throughout the realms of UM. It wasn't long ago when they didn't have a website or forum, and most Agalloch die-hards hung out at the TER forum.

Touring and 'commercial' success is less of a problem to me -- it's when you start seeing threads about the length of Haughm's hair, his John Lennon glasses, or how many bass strings they went through to record The Grey EP....that's when it becomes Opeth-like.

By the way, I never realized the new Disillusion was a "love it / hate it" affair. I thought it was unanimously dismissed, but I suppose I was wrong.

Perhaps I should give it another try.....but I could barely make it past track 3. Compare to the previous release, I thought my ears were deceiving me.

By the way, I never realized the new Disillusion was a "love it / hate it" affair. I thought it was unanimously dismissed, but I suppose I was wrong.

Perhaps I should give it another try.....but I could barely make it past track 3. Compare to the previous release, I thought my ears were deceiving me.

Terrorizer gave it 2/10 and called it an "embarassment", among other things.

It's really not THAT bad. My first listen I got to track 3 and stopped, but I put it on later and realized it's a mediocre album. There is some real quality stuff in it, specially the build ups and the atmosphere.

I think the main problem is that "Back to Times of Splendor" is just so MAGNIFICENT, they could never have topped it....so they decided to go off on a tangent.

Maybe this is a case of where a band peaked too soon, if there is such a thing.