Programmed drums/ velocity starting point

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Nah, but just sounds like a raw DHFS drums, what can I say ? :)

Heheh. Just pulling your leg a bit.

It was really just me learning how to use DFHS as I'd just installed it that day, so I didn't spend a huge amount of time with the final sound.

Muttley

Paul Steen said:
Yeah right, link works now.
You nailed it!!!
It makes me wanna play along....
Good job! Good rolls on the toms.

The beauty of semi-official drum tabs. ;)

Paul Steen said:
Are you going to finish it?

Nah, it was really just a little test to learn how to use DFHS. Besides, I'm not that good a guitar player. :(

Muttley

I guess in this topic it would be appropriate to ask - what methods and software do you guys prefer using when you are trying to make programmed drums sound realistic?

i would say some general guidelines would be:

1. error.
we humans are not perfect, we make errors. we can't hit drums with precisely the same velocity every hit, so vary it, and the idea of raising the velocity during intense sections like chorus is also good.

more on error, not just velocity - drummers make mistakes. they're not going to be exactly on the beat all the time. i'm not saying make your drummer suck, but an occasional miss or slightly (very slightly) late hit might make it sound realistic. keep them to a minimum to make your drummer sound "good".

also repetition... if it sounds too "looped" that might be a clue something isn't natural about it, and real drummers tend to vary it up a bit.

2. limitations
drummers have 2 arms and 2 legs. try to keep at a maximum of 4 simultaneous actions, perhaps 5 or 6 stretching it with cymbals and toms. they're human, not octopuses.

3. tone
this is highly, highly subjective unlike the first 2 points. personally i'll kick out a midi, save it as audio, and bring it back into the mix. i'll then mute the midi version, and add subtle effects like a bit of reverb to the audio version to make the set sound real. sometimes you don't have to do this if the samples already have it, or if the program can do it for you. lastly EQ/pan- just the basic point that your different drum kit pieces should not all sound the same volume or velocity or sound like they come from one place...

Kenneth R. said:
personally i'll kick out a midi, save it as audio, and bring it back into the mix. i'll then mute the midi version, and add subtle effects like a bit of reverb to the audio version to make the set sound real. sometimes you don't have to do this if the samples already have it, or if the program can do it for you.

Like when using VSTi samplers in Cubase or Nuendo, then they act as normal audio channels...

10x Kenneth, I'm pretty much aware of the things you've mentioned, my idea was rather how to do these things. I've tried changing velocities manually but I wasn't very satisfied with the result, not to mentioned that it's a lot of work.Well, not that I'm too lazy but there just has to be a more simple way...or maybe not?

there are different tools if you're using Cubase for example, I know there are different "shapes" you can draw, and if you get a squiggly one, it's easy to draw varying velocity like /\/\/\/\/\/\/ instead of just ----------