Problems with programmed drums.

RunesS

Fighter for Bragi
Jul 7, 2007
Hey

I've been searching around the forum looking for a solution, or a push in the right direction, and didn't find one, so i'm posting this.

I'm doing a project with programmed drums. MIDI. I have some samples i think work, and i have NI Battery 3.

So i load up the samples in Battery, and run the midi file. It is very high paced, grind-ish, agressive black metal, and the snares and HH's are sounding extremely artificial. It is working quite well on the occational slow passage, but when blasting it is very articificial, becuase of the rapid repeating of the snare, for example.

Then i'm thinking multi samples, and have 3 samples loaded for each drum(and having a lot more available. But somehow it isn't triggering the others. So i try playing with the "humanize" function. No help there! It appears to have done nothing!

Is the only way to get a more "realistic" approach to manually tamper with the velocity in the midi file?
Do you guys have any other tips, to a more fluid sound which doesn't sound so repetetive (i'm lacking a better expression)?

I have noticed some bands using a drum machine at extreme tempos are not having the same problems with this very "repetative sound". How do they overcome that?

Best regards Rune B

i'm using a program called 'drumsite'.

but i dunno if is good for fast songs. :/

clip using it with some sneap/chimaira/erkan samples:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2002321/muffin man lextac.mp3

Thanks for the tip. If i can't get this to work i may give it a try. Just for the EP maybe? But for now i want to make it work with Battery. It was quite a big step getting it, so i'm not that keen on changing.

A thing i might add, is that i don't have a very large knowledge on the techniques behind mix and master... yet. So i was wondering if there is some things i could improve on that field? I'm currently using a bit of highpass on the cymbal samples, and thats kind of it. :oops:

Best regards Rune B

With NI battery, you have to select the humanize option, turn up the velocity knob, and make sure your multisamples are set for a certain range of velocities in the appropriate tab. You won't get it sounding THAT human, but it will be an improvement. That's what I had been using before I got the SSD:EX deal two weeks ago.

With NI battery, you have to select the humanize option, turn up the velocity knob, and make sure your multisamples are set for a certain range of velocities in the appropriate tab. You won't get it sounding THAT human, but it will be an improvement. That's what I had been using before I got the SSD:EX deal two weeks ago.

That is what i have done! But when playing through the midi file, the red linie in the mapping tab, that shows the hits velocity is dead still, at the same velocity.

:/

What do you think about SSD:Ex?

Change the midi note designation for blasts. Then use a different panel in battery to trigger off a quiter sample with more dynamics, less vol and verb etc