Metal Releases with programmed drums

Mutant's cd was all programmed, i couldn't really tell until i started listening to the cymbals and realized they were exactly the same every time.

Putrid Pile's first full length was programmed except for the cymbals, shaun did those live which is something you may want to look into.

For me, one of the most realistic-sounding programmed cymbals I've ever heard is the ride on Fuge86's track (he uses AD, I believe) - there's a point where a lot of stuff cuts out, and there's a pretty prominent pattern on the ride, and it sounds so realistic to me (that song is just so fucking good, I've turned so many of my friends on to it :lol: )

There was a dude that posted here that always used programmed drums on his productions and it sounded good...I can't remember his user name, but he recorded the Devil Wears Prada, at the Throne of Judgment, etc...He's like an exclusive producer/engineer for Rise Records now...Joey I think was his name. He lives not too far from me, his studio is called Foundation Recording, IIRC.

Yea that was Joeymusicguy on this forum and yea he has programed a lot of good bands and they sound great! Joey Sturgis is his name i belive and he also used a Pod xt on all the guitars he does. Very good at what he does and I wish he still posted here....

wow. I really like your drum sound on that album. Well I think the production overall is awesome. What did you use? DFHS? What snare sample did you use? I like that snare a lot. Also, how do you program them? Do you do a lot of humanizing?

Thanks! I used Native Instruments Battery 3 to fire drum samples, and we did the album at my home studio. The snare was taken from BFD but I re-pitched it in Battery and messed with the decay a bit. As far as programming goes, I quantize everything hard and I randomize the velocities within a range between 123-127.

Most of all, I try to write drum parts that would come naturally to a seasoned metal drummer. Even though I don't play drums very well on a real kit, I still pay a lot of attention to what drummers are doing in terms of technique and arrangement, and I have a lot of drum influences. Raymond Herrera is probably obvious, but also Gene Hoglan, Martin Lopez, Dirk Verburen, Daniel Erlandsson, Frost, John Bonham, Eric Kretz, Ed Toth, the list goes on.

Weren't a couple of Nocturnal Rites albums done with DFHS? I think it may have been played in with an ekit though.....Also not sure if it was mentioned earlier in the thread as I haven't checked this for a few days, so sorry if it has been.

I believe they did something similar to KTDrumTrigger on mic'd drums, converted the drum parts into midi hits, and put them into DFHS. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard some Slayer and Nevermore demos with programmed drums.

I think all the demos that Jeff produces (Slayer) have drums on them... Kerry isn't so much.
It's a 57 on the amp, and to a 4-track iirc! no bass, no drums, no vox.

Jeff though brings full songs into the studio, with programmed drums and vox ideas.. maybe (and probably) bass.

I believe they did something similar to KTDrumTrigger on mic'd drums, converted the drum parts into midi hits, and put them into DFHS. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sure about DFHS, I know they've a demo on the website for EZDrummer where they re-did part of Cuts Like A Knife. Not sure if they used any samples on it originally, if so it sounds pretty sweet. But I'm certain they at least used an electronic kit on the last few albums.

Wow, Born of Osiris' "The New Reign" and Veil of Maya's "The Common Man's Collapse" used programmed drums? I would have never guessed. They sound as if they were recorded live to me. Cool. Keane did a good job on them then.

I'm still reeling over the drums on the Threat Signal album. And yeah, The Veil of Maya drums sound live and sort of natural, so I never would have guessed either.

Hey guys! Thought I'd bump this thread, as the topic has become very important to me in the last few weeks.

I googled "Albums with Programmed Drums" and found this here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsvXQXD3kq4
Those are supposed to be programmed?

If yes, how do you get your cymbals and snare to sound that realistic?

My Band is going to record their first album soon and we are going to program everything.

I doubt Cult of Luna ever programmed their drums. It's just... not their style. That would be the most surprising thing in this thread for me.