"Progressive Metal" is not a genre.

MajestikMøøse;5804052 said:
99.5% of you have nothing to do with being progressive,

Just for clarity's sake: who are those "you"? Maybe I missed something in another thread, and most likely I completely agree with the mislabeling of bands as "progressive", but I'm just wondering... I've never seen Nevermore being referred to as such, though it wouldn't surprise if someone did, considering the bands being tossed in with what appears to be the general definition of the genre. Nevermore are outstanding in and of themselves, anyway.

It's bugged me for the longest time how bands are labeled as progressive simply because they sound like, or were influenced by, what was referred to as prog rock in the 70s. For that reason, I argued on the Dream Theater newsgroup, way back when IaW and Awake were released, that DT was actually regressive, instead of progressive. Of course I got flamed to no end for that, and I'm sure it was a cheap shot, but I stand by that to this day. The same goes for other bands generally tossed into the genre by the media, like Fates Warning (could argue for them being progressive in the John Arch years) and the others on the seemingly endless list of bands that show no innovation whatsoever.

The bands I'd consider progressive metal do innovate, and they're few and far between - most of them having their exitence cut short for lack of success, accidents, or members moving on to different styles of music. WatchTower (first of all since many of the others are heavily influenced by them), Death, Atheist, Cynic, and I'd go so far as to toss in Necrophagist, Spawn of Possession, and Spiral Architect/Twisted Into Form. A case could be made for some of the original math metal acts, no doubt, as well as for the occasional oddball band like Psychotic Waltz, but most of what's generally labeled as progressive wouldn't make it on my list. But that's just my list (and no it wouldn't contain a lot of Inside Out releases...), as I mentioned, and I'm sure others would argue til they're blue in the face that I'm full of crap. Quite possibly, they're completely correct! :loco:

MajestikMøøse;5804052 said:
99.5% of you have nothing to do with being progressive, and anyone who was truly "progressive" in the true sense of the word would not stoop to associate themselves with these so called "Progressive Metal" bands.

Gentlemen, please stop fooling yourselves.

I think you're a pretentious douchebag.

And I agree with you.

Any time I hear the word "progressive" and it's not referring to Pink Floyd, I want to vomit. Progressive metal is the most boring, trite, arrogant, and stale genre right now. Nevermore are melodic thrash for me, but interpret them how you want.

Progressive metal bands use too many alternating time signatures and an overabundance of polyrhythms because they are out of ideas, but they are very musically educated and able so they do strange things for their "art". That's another thing that bugs me...everyone calling themselves "artists" instead of musicians. When I hear someone call themselves an artist, I automatically think that they have nothing of significance to offer. Pretentious fucks. Lars Ulrich is one of them.

It sounds like shit to me. I'll take 4/4 time any day over Meshuggah. Yes, it's impressive...but so is Yngwie Malmsteen and he's boring as shit.

Whatever happened to melody, harmony, and great riffs? Why is Nevermore the only band doing this at such a great level? Dissonance is impressive if you know what you're doing, but I can't take it very long...it's annoying after a while. Polyrhythms are good if they're done well...but these days they're overdone.

Recommend me some good music without the pretentious asshole-ishness.

Uhh, Pain of Salvation.

I watched their DVD and was not impressed.

I love good choruses, good riffs, and good melodies...but I need to give them more of a listen. Not saying they don't have them, but they just seemed a bit too progressive.

Truthfully, Evergrey is the only recent prog band that I actually like and can listen to.

I'd rather listen to Pink Floyd or Genesis than most of these prog metal bands.

I once read that "the only Progressive bands are the ones that you deem to be so, and that songs should always progress, but so long as they are written in the progressive-vein, they don't necessarily have to..." ??? Just goes to show the mindset of a progressive fan I guess... :lol:
I think Prog-metal is a legitimate genre, otherwise how are you going to categorize bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X and Opeth. THey cover too many genres, and calling them Prog-metal just covers them as a band who do whatever they want. I agree that Nevermore are more melodic-thrash, and I think Evergrey are more Melodic Power/Heavy metal as well. And I don't really like Pain Of Salvation. But that's just my humble opinion...

normally I would, but I'm morally opposed to putting a shitthread.gif into a thread of my own creation.

In my opinion, this thread is hilarious. It evoked exactly the response that I wanted, and the stupidity and bickering of those involved have provided me with boundless entertainment for a day.

This is all I've got.

panda.jpg