Question about Progressive/Tech Metal Genre...

OffSet

Let's 16/9-ize that!
Nov 18, 2002
Barcelona (Spain)
www.iespana.es
Hi over there...

I'm writin' an essay about the birth and developement of the Progressive/Tech Metal genre for my fanzine "Era del Metal" and I've got some doubts or curiosities I would like to share with ya to see if you could help me with some info...

First of all... does anyone know when did the description "Tech Thrash" appeared for describing the early sound of the original-era of WATCHTOWER? I mean, when they ended covering stuff...

And another question is... do you know who created the expression "Progressive Metal"?

BTW, any contributions, ideas or stuff you could find useful is welcome. P.e. which are your descriptions for the Progressive Metal genre?

Thank you so much guyz ^_^

I think maybe it would be interesting to look at the different perspectives of the term 'progressive metal' - ie as the metal evolution of proressive rock vs metal which is focused on progress - unique sound etc. As we all know, lots of different people interpret this concept of progressive metal very differently.

As for facts etc, don't think I can really help with that, or much else, sorry :(

Progressive Metal has totally lost its true meaning over the past years. You may find it easier to just name some albums that were the first to be PROGRESSIVE and METAL at the same time and at the same level (and explain why).
Names of genres are generally created by magazines (most of the time). Someone used the description "prog metal" or "tech-thrash" for the first time, and then others used it, so it became a genre to put some bands in. I think that Watchtower were simply called "thrash metal" back there.

it seems that you're on the right track with Watchtower, and i would make a point to identify them as the pioneers of the genre of tech that we have now in all its different forms. it could be good to talk about some current bands who are adapting those inovations into more extreme forms, like Ion Dissonance and The End. Additionally, i would have to second the comment about "progressive metal" being a fairly innaccurate term, and some one needs to make the point that Spiral Architect and Symphony X cannot be grouped together in a category where most bands are, as Ron would say, 'keyboard metal', and not very 'progressive' or 'tech' but are running a style of music descended from Yes, into the ground.