Tech metal listening suggestions...

[Blasphemy] Even the first half of the latest Cryptopsy is pretty good. [/Blasphemy] But when he's "singing" clean, it's all over.

THE ARUSHA ACCORD.

ooo yeh +1

and also check out against the flood

and gareth and co i see your point about the protest seems like they are trying 2 show off, but to my ears it sounds great, it flows, like the way sikth stuff does, however im more into their earliler stuff, anywhoo...

yeah but sikth actually does flow. kezia has its moments of brilliance, ill give them that. blindfolds aside solo is amazing. I do actually WANT to like protest the hero, because they show that they can occaisionally set aside their overwhelming desire to show off and just write amazing music. but yeah, fortress is an abomination of an album with zero flow and zero soul and I'm not going to budge on that one, but yeah, as long as you prefer kezia dude, i can respect that at least

same thing with sikth's first album as with fortress for me. sounded like they were putting jigsaw puzzle pieces and yelling "YOU WILL FIT GODDAMNIT" rather than taking 5 extra minutes to find the correct piece.
death of a dead day is a 9.5/10 for me, very very close to being in my pantheon of perfection (which stands at 4 albums.)

and phil, i dig once was not quite a lot. carrionshine is a beast of a track. award for most hilarious subdrop as well. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM *song proceeds to violently clip and pump for like 5 seconds*
cracks me the fuck up every time.

yeah but sikth actually does flow. kezia has its moments of brilliance, ill give them that. blindfolds aside solo is amazing. I do actually WANT to like protest the hero, because they show that they can occaisionally set aside their overwhelming desire to show off and just write amazing music. but yeah, fortress is an abomination of an album with zero flow and zero soul and I'm not going to budge on that one, but yeah, as long as you prefer kezia dude, i can respect that at least

same thing with sikth's first album as with fortress for me. sounded like they were putting jigsaw puzzle pieces and yelling "YOU WILL FIT GODDAMNIT" rather than taking 5 extra minutes to find the correct piece.
death of a dead day is a 9.5/10 for me, very very close to being in my pantheon of perfection (which stands at 4 albums.)

and phil, i dig once was not quite a lot. carrionshine is a beast of a track. award for most hilarious subdrop as well. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM *song proceeds to violently clip and pump for like 5 seconds*

well i do like fortress, but nowhere near as much as kezia, too much powermetal riffing, but it has its moments

see with sikth im the rather way round, i do really like death. but trees are dead..., is perfection for me, it sounds so....organic to me, and seeing them and playing with them cemented them as one of my favorite bands

Once was not was a good record but i hated the way it sounded and lord worm's vocals only sounded good to me on none so vile. but thats just me

Somebody mentioned Symphony X before?
It's technical as fuck, when you want to play it:D
And Tool is not so tech-oriented but they've got some odd time signatures.
The most of the technical bands you know already. Spiral Architect is wicked:)

iwrestledabearonce
All Shall Perish
Periphery
Scale the Summit
Veil Of Maya
Between the buried and me's new album is savage

+1 blotted science
+10 Textures!

Don't know if they've been mentioned yet but check out
Unmerciful - Unmercifully Beaten

WHY NO ONE HAS MENTIONED DECAPITATED.

because everyone is more concerned with weedly-wah bullshit like brain drill and meandering pretentious bullshit like the sound of perseverance (does christy ever know when to shut the fuck up?) as opposed to bands who can write songs. these songs just happen to have technical parts.

gonna have to recommend these:

deathspell omega - si monumentum requires circumspice
deathspell omega - kenose
deathspell omega - fas ite maledicti in ignem aeternum
deathspell omega - chaining the katechon
ulcerate - everything is fire
immolation - close to a world below
mayhem - grand declaration of war (say what you will but it's not an "easy" record to play by-far)
darkthrone - soulside journey (imo one of the forerunners of scandinavian tech dm, may not be "tech" compared to shit like brain drill or behold the arctopus but in the proper context it is)
fredrik thorendal's special defects - sol niger within
gigan - the order of the false eye
intronaut - prehistoricisms (technical sludge, especially drum/bass wise)
keep of kalessin - kolossus (some of that shit is ridiculous, technique wise)
mithras - worlds beyond the vale
quo vadis - defiant imagination

I have to +1 Blotted Science for sure!
One of the best technical death instrumental metal bands of all time! Hail to Ron Jarzombek and Alex Webster! :kickass: :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator: