Tech metal listening suggestions...

weedly-wah bullshit
meandering pretentious bullshit

fredrik thorendal's special defects - sol niger within

wat.jpg

Definitely feel the need to mention to capharnaum again. Its suecy with heafy from trivium (screaming his brains out) and daniel from martyr, as well as jasons super ridiculously awesome brother jordan on drums. One of the most underrated tech albums of all time in my opinion. But maybe thats cuz i used to jam with jason and jordan-when we all had time-and it was just beyond sick.

Get it!

Definitely feel the need to mention to capharnaum again. Its suecy with heafy from trivium (screaming his brains out) and daniel from martyr, as well as jasons super ridiculously awesome brother jordan on drums. One of the most underrated tech albums of all time in my opinion. But maybe thats cuz i used to jam with jason and jordan-when we all had time-and it was just beyond sick.

Get it!
Shit I didn't realise it was Daniel from Martyr too!

- -
-
If you're gonna mention Decapitated then you may as well mention Kronos and Hour of Penance. More brutal than techy techy, I reckon.

Someone may have snuck these in without me noticing, but I'm just trying to think of some good tech stuff that I never hear anyone talk about....

Cerebrum. They just put out their debut not too long ago and it's great.

Hieronymus Bosch the Russian band. Pretty technical and they have an interesting sound. They remind me a little of Gorod, which I know was already mentioned. But I never hear anyone talk about this band.

Last edited by a moderator:
because everyone is more concerned with weedly-wah bullshit like brain drill and meandering pretentious bullshit like the sound of perseverance (does christy ever know when to shut the fuck up?) as opposed to bands who can write songs. these songs just happen to have technical parts.

gonna have to recommend these:

deathspell omega - si monumentum requires circumspice
deathspell omega - kenose
deathspell omega - fas ite maledicti in ignem aeternum
deathspell omega - chaining the katechon
ulcerate - everything is fire
immolation - close to a world below
mayhem - grand declaration of war (say what you will but it's not an "easy" record to play by-far)
darkthrone - soulside journey (imo one of the forerunners of scandinavian tech dm, may not be "tech" compared to shit like brain drill or behold the arctopus but in the proper context it is)
fredrik thorendal's special defects - sol niger within
gigan - the order of the false eye
intronaut - prehistoricisms (technical sludge, especially drum/bass wise)
keep of kalessin - kolossus (some of that shit is ridiculous, technique wise)
mithras - worlds beyond the vale
quo vadis - defiant imagination

All of these kick ass, especially Intronaut, one of my favorite discoveries of this year.

Hieronymus Bosch the Russian band. Pretty technical and they have an interesting sound. They remind me a little of Gorod, which I know was already mentioned. But I never hear anyone talk about this band.
You know what, I thought about adding HB but then I had this feeling that nobody would get into them, so I refrained. Interesting band for sure.

meandering pretentious bullshit like the sound of perseverance (does christy ever know when to shut the fuck up?)
the fuck? :zombie:

Don't fuck with TSOP. Such passion and amazing technicality in this record.

quo vadis - defiant imagination

This kind of makes up for it. :headbang::)

Add Augury's 2 records to this. Pretty cool stuff, espectially their latest (I'm not a big female operatic singing fan in metal).

my new favourite shit haha

also awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a fan of the new BTDAM style of tech metal. Because it isn't going anywhere. The TRUE challenge of tech metal IMO is to make it sound incredibly intricate and also be VERY MUSICAL.

BTBAM is pretty empty and is basically a 100 riffs/solos thrown together to make one song.

All my opinion of course.

But this is more challenging because it is more textured:

http://www.myspace.com/mantricofficial

Haha, well you'll get no argument from me, I can get the same effect by just randomly switching between Rudess-era Dream Theater and Whitechapel songs! :loco:

All of these kick ass, especially Intronaut, one of my favorite discoveries of this year.

it's a really great album, I'm pretty pissed that I missed their set on the mastodon tour this year.

P-E said:
the fuck?

Don't fuck with TSOP. Such passion and amazing technicality in this record.

I'm not a big fan of that album. I used to like it back when flash impressed me but now I realize that chuck basically didn't write any songs on that record, just strung a whole bunch of flashy riffs together. for the record I felt that the fragile art of existence was a much better effort on the whole, and the songs generally felt like songs and not just riffs.

and christy knew when to shut up on tfaoe. on tsop he did not.

P-E said:
This kind of makes up for it.

Add Augury's 2 records to this. Pretty cool stuff, espectially their latest (I'm not a big female operatic singing fan in metal).

defiant imagination is an amazing melodic dm record, and digiorgio is at the top of his game imo.

forest is also at the top of his game on the two augury records.