Tech metal listening suggestions...

a lot of the stuff I was going to contribute has been mentioned already, so here's a few more...

Obliveon
Division By Zero
Ark (kinda power-y but rather good...especially "Burn The Sun")
Cephalic Carnage
Scarve
Quo Vadis
Psychotic Waltz
Sadus
Starkweather (though in a wierd way...not so much flashy technical, but thought out still)
Cacophony (yes, with Jason Becker/Marty Friedman)
Extol
Vampire Mooose
Unexpect
Textures
Gnostic
Zero Hour
Illogicist
Emperor (Prometheus is a pretty technical album, as is IX Equilibrium)
Morbid Angel (Domination forward has a lot of technical aspect to it)
Exivious

I dunno...just a couple I could think of...

I don't agree with this. "...And Then You'll Beg" is as much a classic as the rest of them. "The Unspoken King" is also a really good album, though it is a little different than thier back catalog.

Meh. The music sounds really really fucking incredible on "...And Then You'll Beg" but those disgusting tough guy vocals are so off-putting. First time I put that album on I wanted to cry, the music just sounds so so so so sooo good but cryptopsy with tough guy vocals just feels so wrong. If they were more gritty sounding maybe it would be a bit more tolerable, but it's too shouty for Cryptopsy imo.

Did not like The Unspoken King at all. I doubt I'll be listening to any future releases from the band, I hated that album that much.

I don't agree with this. "...And Then You'll Beg" is as much a classic as the rest of them. "The Unspoken King" is also a really good album, though it is a little different than thier back catalog.

"...And Then You'll Beg" and "Whisper Supremacy" are top notch for me and were my first listens of "death metal" with a technical side. As far as the Lord Worm debate, I really, really, really never liked Lord Worm.

the reason lord worm owns is because his vocals fucking suck. that and his persona and charisma. the way he just stands on stage with a glass of wine, handing out goblets of worms for the crowd to just munch out on, and the sick, english degree type lyrics about exhuming dead mistresses n shit. it's all fucking genius and is cryptopsy in a nutshell. he IS cryptopsy.

I saw them live in early '05 and I was really more amazed with watching Daniel Mongrain play then Lord Worm eat worms. Honestly, I probably didn't play much attention to Lord Worms muffled mumblings. I did enjoy the show though.

Yeah. I guess it's just a question of preference. But yeah in all fairness, to TC, if you can get past the dirty tough guy vocals, I'm sure Whisper Supremacy and ...And Then You'll Beg are incredible albums.

Yeah. I guess it's just a question of preference. But yeah in all fairness, to TC, if you can get past the dirty tough guy vocals, I'm sure Whisper Supremacy and ...And Then You'll Beg are incredible albums.

Understandable. Some people really dig Lord Worm and only him. But, if you can, ignore Mike DiSalvo's gruffness, you just might like the frantic sounds they make.

I really dig "Whisper Supremacy" personally, "Cold Hate Warm Blood" is an amazing song, though I haven't heard much with Lord Worm (though what I have I really have not liked at all, mostly because of him :lol: )

ive tried to get past it man, i personally cant, those vocals make me want to rage.