Tech metal listening suggestions...

MindsinK

Not a team player
Jan 13, 2004
Akron, Ohio, USA
www.bakulian.com
For some odd reason, lately I've been going through a major tech metal collecting stage and I was wondering if I'm missing any great bands in the genre... I'm a fan of great production, odd times, melodies embedded in the heaviness, and arpeggios up the ass...

I already own (and love...) everything by the following:

Aghora, Agonist, Arsis, Atheist, Brain Drill, Cynic, Death (latter period), Into Eternity, all of Ron Jarzombek's stuff, Mekong Delta, Martyr, Necrophagist, Neuraxis, Nevermore (not really tech...), Origin, Pestilence, Psycroptic, Scale The Summit, Sceptic, Sieges Even (early), Sleep Terror, Spiral Architect, Theory In Practice, Thought Industry, Twisted Into Form, Watchtower...

Cheers!

The Faceless - Planetary Duality
Born of Osiris - Both their EP and full length
Jonas Hellborg - Art Metal
Between the Buried and Me - everything from The Silent Circus onwards. Production is not always the best, but it's not bad at all either, and it has everything you want: Melodic, heavy, brutal, plenty of arpeggiated guitar stuff

This isn't metal, but get everything by the band Ohm: if you're into tech, seriously. They have former Megadeth guitarist Chris Poland, and in the jazz fusion environment, he shines like never before. Amazing melodies, technical, and stunning compositions and amazing bass and drum work too.

Spawn of Possession is pretty good tech death.
Jeez I was scrolling down worrying that I was gonna be the first to mention these guys. Compositionally amazing.

Also Anata are awesome, Capharnaum (Jason Suecof played guitar in this band before he got busy with mixing), Decrepit Birth maybe? Esqarial!

+1 to Gorod and Augury.

Decrepit Birth, Dysrhythmia, Cephalic Carnage, GORGUTS, Cryptopsy (but pretend anything without lord worm doing vocals doesnt exist,) Praxis (well, turntable technicality, these guys are too funky and awesome to leave out of the list even if theyre not metal)

edit: huge +1 on behold the arctopus. some people seem to have trouble getting into them but i dunno man. listen to nano-nucleonic cyborg summoning a few times and let it sink in. its actually melodic and beautiful as hell even through huge walls of noise.

editedit: oh, another one, negativa

no it isn't. it's the most horribly structured, gratuitous wank i've ever heard.

this guy seems more fucking discerning than that. he listed athiest. technical music with substance anyway? PTH is all flashyness, zero fucking soul, they have nothing to say, no statements to make. fuck them.

another one: indricothere
i was gonna suggest sleep terror but then i scrolled up and saw it in your list. props
blotted science is good too
SunnO))).... nah jokes.

LISTEN TO OBSCURA AND YOUR BRAIN WILL EXPLODE AND YOU WILL LOVE IT
PLZ DO IT
YOU WILL HAVE A SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE AND BECOME A CHANGED MAN
I CAN VOUCH FOR THIS
<3<3<3<3