Progressive Nation 2009

AudioPhile777

Mathew Cohen
Ok, so I just got back from this tonight...

fucking awesome.

I originally bought the tickets to see Pain Of Salvation... but didn't find out they weren't playing until i sat in the seats... whatever...

Basically a rundown of the awesomeness... this is a long read, I take no responsibility for time wasted reading this.

Scale The Summit... Fan-fuckin-tastic... those guys were on their game. Sound was great, performance was spot on... awesome.

Big Elf... i swear these guys own a time machine and came here from the 70s... awesome nonetheless... Portnoy played a song with them...

Zappa Plays Zappa... Dweezil Zappa playin' his daddy's songs... I had no idea Zappa tunes were so fucking awesome... I was literally floored and enjoyed this entire set... Portnoy played a song with them...

Dream Theater... when they first came on, I was like "meh, standard stuff so far..."... third song in was ABSOLUTELY EPIC! ... have to ask my roommate which song it was again (he's a DT fanatic)... half way through the set, drum solo-age ensued... then Portnoy decides that his drumkit is to big for only one person and the drummer from STS comes out and they "duke it out" on the drums... fantastic... then Portnoy invites the drummer from BigElf out and they go at it... then he invites the drummer from the Zappa band on and they duke it out and he gives Portnoy a run for his money... THEN... all the drummer come back out and are playing this ridiculous 4 man drum solo together and a fifth unknown guy come out and joins them playing the cowbell... fan fucking tastic... I was happy.

Then they continue the song... and then Petrucci plays a bunch of solo stuffs, then they invite Dweezil Zappa out on stage... they go back and forth a bit... then... THEN!... they invite out Steve muthafuckin Vai... out of nowhere he comes out and then those three trade off solos... then Jordan Rudess comes out with his Zen Riffer (keytar) and all four of them trade off... this goes on for a long time...

pretty much everything after that was mediocre and whatever...

all in all, I'm definitely glad I went... that was ridiculously awesome...

If you read all this and weren't there, I'm sorry... it was soooo awesome.

BEST. CONCERT. OF. MY. LIFE.

FIN.