Progressive Nation Anyone?

Prog_Please

Apr 25, 2008
San Francisco
I went to Progressive Nation in San Jose, and Dream Theater was amazing as usual. They played a killer setlist (always wanted to hear Hollow Years and In The Name Of God). Only complaint on their side was that I'd have switched out Right Of Passage and in Shattered Fortress.

But the real surprise of the show was Zappa Plays Zappa. Outstanding. The son could play the guitar up there with the best of them, shredding away. They also flawlessly encorporated their jazz style with hard rock and progressive rock. My poor writing skills can't do them justice, but they were truely impressive. Even the lady playing the sax was killer!

The other two bands were meh, average. I'd have rather seen Pain Of Salvation, personally. Scale The Summit were good and all, but their music just seemed too generic. Nothing that really stood out. I guess thats not too bad for an opener to Dream Theater tho.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the tour. Hope the others who've gone have enjoyed it as much as I have, or if you haven't gone, GO! You won't be disappointed.

Edit: Thanks, I'm a noob. Next time I'll proofread.

It was my 53rd Dream Theater show. I have seen worse, and I have seen better. Didnt you think they were a bit....subdued? It was great, as always, but there was some element of energy missing, I thought.

CDW
Futures End Cheese Grater

Flew out for the Vegas show yesterday. The sound at he Hard Rock venue, The Joint, was a little bottom heavy, but other than that it's a nice venue.

I really enjoy Scale the Summit. I think it's pretty ballsy for a band to not have a singer. I have added them on my list of future purchases.

Bigelf was a surprise like for me as well. I really like the psychedic undertone ....takes me back to the early 70's. :p And the lead singer/keyboardist was great! The old style keyboard and organ were freaking awesome, and that dual playing...I've been playing keys since I was 5 and I seriously doubt I could dual it like that.

ZPZ- I'm an old Frank fan from way back, and I thought Dweezle really is his fathers kid. Everyone he has on board in the band is simply amazing. It really made me miss Zappa..

Dream Theater- Mike was in a great mood, everyone had lots of energy, and it was a good set list. John P's wife and kids sat just a few rows in front of us, I didn't see anyone else's family.

I do have a question for anyone that might now...I'm sure I just missed the information/talk...but when did they start changing the lyrics to Hallow Years? I'm singing away and all of a sudden I don't know the words. At first I thought James had an epic fail, but then he and Mike both sang the same lyrics again the on second verse. But on the final time around, they sang it as recorded.

Oh, and it is SO freaking HOT here in Vegas. Was 114 yesterday. ugh. Only thing keeping me sane is the frozen slushy drinks from Fat Tuesdays. With 5 shots of 151 course....;)

Scale the Summit is anything but generic.

Though I will forever hold a grudge towards them since they replaced Pain of Salvation.

We were at the San Jose Show and Dream Theater was amazing. One of the best DT shows I've ever seen. Loved the new stuff and old.
Zappa Plays Zappa was phenominal, wished they have played some of MY favorite songs, but what can anyone expect. I really was happily surprised with Big Elf. Their 60s/70s vibe was awesome and they maintained thier own signature as well! Just cool...

i bought my ticket
then weeks later heard about pain of salvation cancelling
so i sold it
wasn't worth the 80 bucks just to see DT
i didnt have that cash to waste especially since prog power was weeks after:erk:

Saw it a week or so ago. DT were fantastic. The Count of Tuscany might very well be DT's best song since Space Dye Vest. Hollow Years was a bit rough but I wasn't really bothered. The opening bands bored me silly. Especially Zappa who seemed to go on and on for almost 2 hours.

Scale the Summit is anything but generic.

Though I will forever hold a grudge towards them since they replaced Pain of Salvation.

Actually, Scale the Summit replaced Beardfish and Bigelf replaced Pain of Salvation. I too was pissed when they couldn't make the tour, but at the time when they announced it, I took a listen to Bigelf and Portnoy made me a new fan of theirs, so it's really hard for me to say if I'm pissed about that or not. While Scale the Summit was decent, the problem I have with them is some of their songs run into each other, so I would've rather had Beardfish.

I was going to go mainly to see Pain of Salvation and Beardfish so I skipped out. I've seen Dream Theater a few times already. I really wanted to see Bigelf, but I didn't want to pay 50 bucks to see them play 40 minutes. Plus the merch is expensive...$20 for a CD last year...come on.