Progtology

I believe he only uses 4-string basses. The Kubicki Factor and the Fender Jazz Bass. He DOES use the Hipshot-D tuner type things and that drops the Low-E to a D.

Asmogriff

Just a 4 string Kubicki Factor Bass for Progtology. I drop tune to D in that one as Petrucci 914 says. I had a Fender Jazz 5 I used on Time Lost.

NP : Our set list for the upcomong tour on disc. :OMG:

Thanks,

I'm currently trying to tab out Progtology and I have soon tabbed most of the keyboards and guitars but since I'm not really good at playing the bass I don't know how I'll work that out. You wouldn't happen to have any tabs lying around somewhere?

Erik

Sorry no Tabs lying about Erik.

The bass follows the guitar pretty closely throughout this one though. Like real closely. The crazy bass slap fills are kind of strange, I kind of made them up while Doug and I were recording the tune.

I can tell you that they start in C and D. They are all thumb finger pull off type slap / snap fills.

This is truly an oddball tune but fun to play.

NP : CG3 Melrose Ave

We'll see what I do when I get to those :cool:

Hopefully they won't be too big of a problem.

Ah, I thought he recorded the slap fills separately and used a pick on the rest. I still have some parts left on the guitar/keyboard parts and have unfortunately not started the bass yet.

Actually I do use a pick at times to follow some of the guitar lines and to get a differant tone. Mostly during some recordings. But really not that often and not in Progtology. Thats all fingers following the riffs. Same thing with Prognosis.

Chris Squire is a major influence of mine and his pick style playing is the main reason I have used one. I do use a Pick when we cover Tempus Fugit.

Yes where to keep the pick can be a problem :tickled:

Asmogriff said:
Ah, I thought he recorded the slap fills separately and used a pick on the rest. I still have some parts left on the guitar/keyboard parts and have unfortunately not started the bass yet.

Hi Ed,

you were just mentioning "prognosis". In fact I just wanted to start a thread with that topic. In my opinion "prognosis" is by far the better instrumental regarding the dynamics, the atmosphere and the riffing. What is your opinion about it and, masterquestion:
Is there a chance to listen to it live anywhen? :)

Slowhand

I agree totally myself, thats just my opinion and preferance. Prognosis to me is a total barn burner. Progtology is great too but I think Prognosis flat out kicks ass. Even though it does not have the solo sections the dynamics and atmosphere and heavy riffing makes it the deal for me. Thats just me.

Hmmmmmmmm to your next question? your in Munich right, so what shows are you coming too :Spin: your putting me on the spot man :Spin: note the faces are smiling so don,t miss it!

slowhand said:
Hi Ed,

you were just mentioning "prognosis". In fact I just wanted to start a thread with that topic. In my opinion "prognosis" is by far the better instrumental regarding the dynamics, the atmosphere and the riffing. What is your opinion about it and, masterquestion:
Is there a chance to listen to it live anywhen? :)

ebass said:
Slowhand

I agree totally myself, thats just my opinion and preferance. Prognosis to me is a total barn burner. Progtology is great too but I think Prognosis flat out kicks ass. Even though it does not have the solo sections the dynamics and atmosphere and heavy riffing makes it the deal for me. Thats just me.

Hmmmmmmmm to your next question? your in Munich right, so what shows are you coming too :Spin: your putting me on the spot man :Spin: note the faces are smiling so don,t miss it!

Hi again, Ed!

Thanks for your quick answer! That's exactly the point: an instrumental does not define itself with solo passages and stuff like that. Even if "proctology" is nice, "prognosis" stands more alone also regarding influences.

Hmm...if I read your answer the way I think it supposed to be right then I have to manage to come to Aschaffenburg at the first of April....I'LL DO MY VERY BEST! :) :worship:

Hey Progtology rocks as well my friend. It is a totally differant monster. Very differant for us, it is a bit odd in a totally kick ass way, kind of like some of Rush,s instrumentals. I love them both.

Hey for anyone thinking of coming to shows that one on 4/1 is one NOT TO MISS! thats a great venue and will be a kick ass show!

We are really looking forward to it. See you there.

NP : Jeff Beck "Lead Boots"

slowhand said:
Hi again, Ed!

Thanks for your quick answer! That's exactly the point: an instrumental does not define itself with solo passages and stuff like that. Even if "proctology" is nice, "prognosis" stands more alone also regarding influences.

Hmm...if I read your answer the way I think it supposed to be right then I have to manage to come to Aschaffenburg at the first of April....I'LL DO MY VERY BEST! :) :worship:

Hmm, sounds like I need to check Prognosis out too. I have only found and bought Tug Of War so I haven't really heard any other songs. :err:

"Blink of an eye" rulez!
But be carefull, the song is only on the extended version of the cd! :)

@ Ed!

That's what I mean... if I listen to "proctology", I have immediately some Bands in the back... there's Saga, there's Rush and in the middle there's a bit that reminds me of "hall of the mountain king" from Savatage...this...err... chromatic tune...know what I mean?

I KNOW, that you guys NEED definitely NOT other bands to write your songs...but if there are reminders in the songs...it's simple not that original for me..
Huh...hard to explain...bythe way:
I have really ALL of your CDs and I guess I'm the biggest fan you have there in my area.... :Spin: ...

Hope you did not misunderstand me! :)

AND I LOVE THE CALM BASS-PASSAGE AT MINUTE 2:36...this is so brillant...and then Dougs guitar slowly arriving...the riffing....*GOOSEPIMPELS* :worship:

And finally the guitar/keyboard parts are complete.

21 pages for a tab is rather nice :OMG:

I will start working on the bass someday...

slowhand said:
AND I LOVE THE CALM BASS-PASSAGE AT MINUTE 2:36...this is so brillant...and then Dougs guitar slowly arriving...the riffing....*GOOSEPIMPELS* :worship:
I think we can all agree that this whole section of the song absolutely kills. Actually, the whole thing does... one of my favourite instrumentals ever.