Prometheus (spoilers inside)

This movie was unfinished: needed better writing, better actors.

Whoever it was that played the android guy was well-cast. Charlize Theron stuck out like a sore thumb (along with the boyfriend guy who dies, I think it was "Holloway," or something; he was way to bro-y for a pioneering scientist), she clearly was cast for her hype.

...and what's with the old Weyland guy? Could they have made his prosthetic old-man face any more obvious? He looked like Johnny Knoxville's old-man-sketch from the Jackass movie. And what was the opening "disintegration" scene? Man, so many holes.

Also the new Alien looks stupid.

On the bright side: the CGI was phenomenal, and the obligatory black character was fairly well-developed despite knowing absolutely nothing about his background.

It seems like those who liked the movie, actually understand what Ridley Scott was trying to accomplish.
Those who don't like it seem to miss the meaning behind what is going on. The title of the film should give you a clue.

There wasnt a single cool character. and with a plot that shitty and scientists that want to be mommy to an alien snake. It was retarded.

wait what? what kind of unabridged version were you watching D:

I also wonder - did the Nostromo really wake its crew to investigate a "signal of unknown origin," or do all future Weyland-Yutani ships have secret programming to respond the the distress signal that the lifeboat from the Prometheus would broadcast, to find out what ever became of the original Weyland and his quest for immortality?

I would assume that the general technology for distress signals didn't need to change or would at least be backwards compatible in some way. That said I don't think its the same ship as the one in the original movie.

This movie was unfinished: needed better writing, better actors.

Whoever it was that played the android guy was well-cast. Charlize Theron stuck out like a sore thumb (along with the boyfriend guy who dies, I think it was "Holloway," or something; he was way to bro-y for a pioneering scientist), she clearly was cast for her hype.

...and what's with the old Weyland guy? Could they have made his prosthetic old-man face any more obvious? He looked like Johnny Knoxville's old-man-sketch from the Jackass movie. And what was the opening "disintegration" scene? Man, so many holes.

Also the new Alien looks stupid.

On the bright side: the CGI was phenomenal, and the obligatory black character was fairly well-developed despite knowing absolutely nothing about his background.

I think the movie did an absolutely amazing job portraying the different characters, as important or unimportant as they were. Most of the acting was pretty good and covered a broad spectrum of personalities, instead of limiting itself to a HEY WE'RE ALL BADASS cliché that alot of movies have.

Charlize Theron played an interesting role of a character that tried her hardest to not be effected by her surroundings and always keep up a straight face no matter what. Both as an attempt to show her father she is worthy and probably because she's a huge bitch. But she was shown as human after all. I'm not sure what you mean about bro-y but I'm puzzled as to why a dedicated scientist can't have a personality as well. The others sure did.

Weyland looked like he did as a result of of massive amounts of different processes that attempt to keep him alive and not aging.

The opening disintegration scene can be interpreted in many ways, the most simple one being that what we saw was the creation of human life, where his DNA was disintegrated and the water built up new life. We are, you know, mostly water and dependant on it to survive :)

And it's not a "new" alien, it's pretty much what it started as. It's interesting if you compare it to the "modern" aliens from the previous movies, as their look is reminiscent of the Engineers armor. A few conclusions there gives a good hint on what happened in between Prometheus and Alien.

Good connections to Jesus <3

Good connections to Jesus <3

I wasn't saying that the cast was selected poorly because they weren't "all badass":

I meant "bro-y," in the sense that his character was a total bro; he spoke with that lazy-city-drawl that I automatically associate with people who aren't revolutionary archaeologists/intergalatic explorers. He seems like a T.V. actor, not someone who can engulf themselves in a role. Not believable in the slightest.

And, yeah, Charlize certainly did play an emotionless drone rather well. My gripe was that they could've gotten someone who could really bring out the magic in that role, someone who can play this desperate, emotionally compromised woman. Granted, the script didn't provide much breathing room for her role. The characters personalities had to be shoved down our throats so quickly that there was no room for intrinsic development. The story felt so rushed and frantically put together.

I understood that the disintegration scene was symbolic, it just felt very superficial, there wasn't any real reason behind it. I did appreciate the CGI it provided, however.

And, yeah, after I posted I read a little bit on the movie and found that it takes place in the same universe as Alien, it's only very loosely a prequel.

Nothing you say can convince me that the poopy prosthetics were intentional. That's just what happens when you get someone who's probably ~40 to play someone who's ~90.

The movie was O.K. for what is was. I find myself growing ever more cynical to the point where I have a hard time enjoying any movie because I feel like every decent plot gets edited and marginalized by production companies so much that the story loses itself in hype-casts and impressive CGI. I look forward to the new Alien movie, but only for continuation's sake. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable dumbing down of a probably decent story-line.

This is all just my opinion, of course.
Kinda wish they just made a book instead.

As cute as the android touching everything is, it does not explain why Scott thought XenoJesus is a good idea.

I suppose I'll play devil's advocate and ask why you feel the need to defend it so vehemently? R. Scott will sleep tonight whether Frank liked it or not.

Do you have a better one?
Not my job to write him an explanation when his is lacking.