Protools 10 to 11 Upgrade

People complaining about 300.00 need to just go download reaper or something and never open a real studio, because you honestly piss and shit 300.00 on stuff every month. Protools helps me to afford all my bills, so I have no problem throwing out 300.00 on a SICK upgrade to 11.

You people should know by now that if you buy software, they might just release a new version at some point, and you will not get it free or cheap. Not the case with all software company', but you should still know this and expect it regardless.

A+ post, would read again!

People complaining about 300.00 need to just go download reaper or something and never open a real studio, because you honestly piss and shit 300.00 on stuff every month. Protools helps me to afford all my bills, so I have no problem throwing out 300.00 on a SICK upgrade to 11.

You people should know by now that if you buy software, they might just release a new version at some point, and you will not get it free or cheap. Not the case with all software company', but you should still know this and expect it regardless.

THANK YOU.

10 came out 2011.

Was it really?! My, how time has flown the past year :lol:

Oh well... still.

Those of you saying to stop complaining - Obviously you don't have to upgrade, it's just the fact that Avid devalues their previous versions so much that they don't even seem to respect their customers, who are the people who keep them afloat.

THIS update is quite the big one, but then again, still seems like a "transitional" version, because they're giving you a PT10 license with it. If they were confident enough in their product that developers would adopt the new format and update their plugin lines quickly, I don't understand why they would still be tying themselves to the past by offering the second license with it.

Don't get me wrong - As a consumer, I'd be happy to get both, but this is also kind of a testament to them releasing an update too soon, yet again. Had they waited a few months and provided a stable build to their plugin developers, 11 could have been released with a slew of updated 3rd party plugins, and people wouldn't have to be stuck choosing one or the other.

Either that, or they could've just developed some kind of 32 bit bridge like most of the other DAWs have had for years, that would allow people to transition to 11 and still use their RTAS/TDM plugins until they're updated, or something better is released on AAX. I really don't know anything about the coding aspect, but it seems to me that if they wanted to really satisfy their customers, they would've developed something that allowed users to use the newest software version, rather than having to use the old one if their plugins don't work...

No matter - I'm really just playing the devil's advocate here. Personally, I would have no problem paying the $300 to upgrade to 11, but there's no way in hell I would've paid the $400 they wanted to upgrade from 9. I've used 10 quite a bit - There were improvements... mainly for me in stability, but anyone who thinks that should've been a paid upgrade is just plain crazy.

That being said, I'm actually quite excited about Pro Tools 11. In fact, I just built a new computer and don't plan on installing any other DAW this go around, in an effort to force myself into Pro Tools, now that it finally has most of the options I've been wanting for years.

Ok I tried to stay out of this thread as hard as I can but reading some posts, it's no longer possible...

Those of you saying to stop complaining - Obviously you don't have to upgrade, it's just the fact that Avid devalues their previous versions so much that they don't even seem to respect their customers, who are the people who keep them afloat.

Ok bad new for you, it's Avid, not Digidesign.
Avid big customer are not who you think. It's not you, or me, or anyone in the music industry. Their customer are post house like Skywalker ranch.
PT10 and now PT11 as part of HDX is what post house dreamed about for many years.
That said, if they really wanted to disrespect their customers; do you think they would have released PT10 first?
They supported HD TDM for 10years. Look around to really see what even respect their customer look like (Sony and their whole pro line (oxford console for exemple), or Apple with logic).

THIS update is quite the big one, but then again, still seems like a "transitional" version, because they're giving you a PT10 license with it. If they were confident enough in their product that developers would adopt the new format and update their plugin lines quickly, I don't understand why they would still be tying themselves to the past by offering the second license with it.

We have many problems. They are confident with the new product but it's 2013 and not 2000 anymore.
PT11 run AAX and only AAX. Now, PT user's way for Waves porting their plugins to AAX.

Don't get me wrong - As a consumer, I'd be happy to get both, but this is also kind of a testament to them releasing an update too soon, yet again. Had they waited a few months and provided a stable build to their plugin developers, 11 could have been released with a slew of updated 3rd party plugins, and people wouldn't have to be stuck choosing one or the other.

Either that, or they could've just developed some kind of 32 bit bridge like most of the other DAWs have had for years, that would allow people to transition to 11 and still use their RTAS/TDM plugins until they're updated, or something better is released on AAX. I really don't know anything about the coding aspect, but it seems to me that if they wanted to really satisfy their customers, they would've developed something that allowed users to use the newest software version, rather than having to use the old one if their plugins don't work...

Again PT11 don't run RTAS. That why they switched to AAX. New architecture with HDX...etc. RTAS and TDM don't work under 64bits.
And no, they couldn't release a 32bits bridge. 32bits bridge isn't a stable and pro solution.
Seriously, how many peoples are happy with 32bits bridge in logic for exemple?:lol:

I think about the bridge he was also referring to Reaper which has a solid bridge solution in the box, i have never had a single problem either running a 32b in my 64b sessions or the other way around, it just works, which means it is possible. It is not a stable and pro solution for being non elegant, but it can work.

I think about the bridge he was also referring to Reaper which has a solid bridge solution in the box, i have never had a single problem either running a 32b in my 64b sessions or the other way around, it just works, which means it is possible. It is not a stable and pro solution for being non elegant, but it can work.

If that work fine for you, why not...
Most complain I read here come from peoples running home studio/project studio herself (not a bad thing). But I doubt those peoples record more than 16tracks at the same time, have rig running 5 days non stop at high speed and that with 100+ tracks sessions. With clients and deadline...

Why we don't see Andy, James, Mark, Lasse and many others complaining about that?