ProTools Transport Question

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

Bit of a n00b question here, but it's something I never looked into.

How do you get ProTools to insert the playback cursor anywhere in a session, without affecting the left and right locator locations?

So for instance if I had a whole chunk of audio selected to audition with beat detective and I didn't want it to play from the start of the selection each and every time.

Basically: how do get independent insertion/locators ala Cubase?

Thanks!

if i understand you correct, what you are looking for is called Dynamic Transport mode in PT - on a mac it's: Control+Command+P

you'll see the Bars&Beats Lane, or whatever lane is your main counter choice, double in size when you enter it. click in the part of the lane that expanded, moving around the blue, right-pointing triangle, to change your point of playback.

While I'm sure there's a way to do it the way you are asking, here's an alternative way that I use.

1. Highlight the selection you want to edit.
2. Hit ENTER on the number pad.
3. When the menu comes up to add a marker, select "selection" instead of marker. and choose a number (I start at 20)

Now you can click anywhere, do whatever you want, and all you gotta do is click .20. or just .20 if you use classic transport. The other plus side to this is it makes copy and pasting whole sections way easier cause you can save all these selections by section of song (example pre chorus fill).

yeah..
what they said.
Although i have NEVER used dynamic transport.
but thats probably because i learned on tools before it had that.
or elastic audio.... probably why don't use that either!

While I'm sure there's a way to do it the way you are asking, here's an alternative way that I use.

1. Highlight the selection you want to edit.
2. Hit ENTER on the number pad.
3. When the menu comes up to add a marker, select "selection" instead of marker. and choose a number (I start at 20)

Now you can click anywhere, do whatever you want, and all you gotta do is click .20. or just .20 if you use classic transport. The other plus side to this is it makes copy and pasting whole sections way easier cause you can save all these selections by section of song (example pre chorus fill).
yeah, i use that method to save my Bounce To Disk selection. it's called a non-time-based Marker.... i use another kind of non-time-based marker to recall groups of tracks, at specific zooms and group enables... like say, all my rhythm guitar tracks with their group on, or all the vocals tracks with their group on.... no clicking around in the hide/show panel anymore once you've set those up.

dang.
It's amazing, that despite the fact that I've used Tools for god knows how long, and like to think i know a hell of a lot about it, there's always something new to learn.
Cheers guys