My Protools/Quickeys Tutorial Part 1

isnt that just holding down cntl when in grid mode for PT?

no

not the same thing

slip mode in pro tools is a way of sliding regions around freely. (well almost freely, its actually sample locked @ 1 sample highest resolution)

slip editing is something entirely different in cubase. its when you freely move audio wave form inside region boundaries

pro tools has a way of doing this but its fixed by using a value (lowest value is 1 sample) and keyboard only. even if you wanted to slip edit in pro tools all day long, and do it "freely", you'd be holding down the plus or minus key for 10 - 30 seconds each edit. this is why slip editing in cubase is awesome because you do it with the mouse.

in example, you could hover your mouse pointer over a snare transient, engage slip editing key, then drag with the mouse where you'd like that snare transient to be. as you move it, the wave form moves on screen as well, so you can see where you're moving it to. the audio around it moves as well, within the boundaries of a region / start and end points.

its kind of hard for people to grasp because very few daws have this tool, and most of the time the tool is hidden (you hold down a select few keys to engage the mode, its never on a menu or anything)

and i know on the surface, to a lot of people, this sounds like slip editing in pro tools. but its not. slip editing in pro tools is just editing regions without being locked to the grid. slip editing in cubase is moving audio freely within region boundaries without moving region boundaries via mouse.

are you trying to make some point to me? you quoted me...so i'm guessing that little tirade at the end there was pointed at me....

look, i said it seemed cool... also said i didn't miss it... and i edit and engineer just fine without it. anyway, i also said people should request what they want... that's what i do. not sure why you are ranting at me about this... i get the impression you are trying to dislike PT as hard as you can, and trying to make yourself believe i'm arguing with you about it's perceived shortcomings.. i'm not.

and i say "perceived" because each user has their own "wish list" of changes... i have mine, you have yours, and i'm sure there's some crossover bullet points on our respective lists... but right now, that "slip" mode, isn't one of them.

if it's ever added to PT, i may get used to it and find it's advantages in my own workflow... but as of this moment, i most certainly can "argue" the point, since i edit quickly without, and have never once found myself wishing for such a feature.

end of story..

and i'll repeat... it seems like a cool feature.

sorry, not trying to take shots or start anything. i just get super annoyed that the world doesnt know about this awesome editing tool. it actually doesnt just annoy me, it pisses me off a bit. if i had enough money, i'd literally give it to avid to implement the feature into PT.

I would like to bump this and ask if anyone has had success finding an easy to use PC program that is pretty similar to quickeys?
as AudioGeekZine said, Autohotkeys is such a PITA

I got a challenge for all you PT/Quickeys guys.

The person who can figure out a key command that'll automatically make a new playlist on a track/group of tracks, will get 10 songs worth of free drum editing from me.

I want to be able to just make a new playlist without having to scroll up to the "duplicate" or "new..." menu selections every time. I've tried for weeks to get any set of commands to work but I can't....

So that's the challenge...anyone up to up?

I accept this challenge! I have a similar hotkey program called Keyboard Maestro. Here's a video of how I created a macro to make new/duplicate playlists:

Basically I just have my mouse hover over the playlist button, and then program it to click at current position, then type N-E-W (to select 'New Playlist'), then hit enter twice. I wish it could recognize the playlist menus, but this is the only way I could figure out how to do it. Not ideal, but still saves a good amount of time.

Also keep in mind that PT will let you create a new playlist, or a duplicate WHILE you are recording new audio to that track. Don't be afraid of hitting record before you have a new playlist ready, you can always make a fresh one while the red light is on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, don't underestimate the power of the Mac OS built in keyboard shortcuts. I see that you created a macro just to make a click track. You can set up a hotkey for any menu item that exists within a program. Just go to your system preferences > keyboard >keyboard shortcuts. Here's a vid:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, just realized the original post was from LAST year, totally thought this was recent.

Hey I'm trying to have some fun with QuickKeys and I'm already running into a problem... I want to use QuickKeys to change my Nudge Set (to make sure it's in Min:Sec) and Value (to set it to 1 sec), but can't get it to work. Why? Because whenever you click on Nudge, the drop-down list is displayed at different position depending on the current value. Any tips to get it to work? Thank you :)

sorry to dig up this thread from the dead. I'm looking for a decent PC alternative to Quickeys, mainly for the Quantizing and smoothing macros that the OP demonstrated in his videos ...

Anyone able to help?

Just stumbled across this thread, with these quick keys it really helps to make up for Pro Tools' lack of proper slip editing!

Does anyone have a quick keys file they could send me? (old link is dead) Really want to try this stuff out!

Just stumbled across this thread, with these quick keys it really helps to make up for Pro Tools' lack of proper slip editing!

Does anyone have a quick keys file they could send me? (old link is dead) Really want to try this stuff out!

I may have just moved it in my dropbox folder. I'll update the link at some point tomorrow.