My Protools/Quickeys Tutorial Part 1

C_F_H_13

Protools Guru
Mar 21, 2006
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
My Protools/Quickeys Tutorial Part 1

For those of your who don't know, Quickeys is an amazing application that allows you to program incredibly complex commands within any application for streamlining workflow. I thought I'd share with all of you a few my commands in hopes that it helps some of you out. While all my examples are in Protools, similar commands could be programmed for any application. I have to add that this isn't a tutorial on how to use quickeys. I'm going to assume that already know how to do that, and I'm also going to assume you have at least medium experience with protools.

SETUP PRIOR TO USE:

Here's a couple very important things to do prior to using any of my commands. Not all the steps are necessary for all commands, but overall if you spend the 30 seconds it takes to do this it'll speed up your workflow tremendously. So here they are:

1. If you are using a trackball or other programmable mouse, disable all pre programmed buttons. For my kensington mouse I do so by going to the kensington logo at the top right of the screen, and switching all the buttons to "do nothing" as I have here.

KENSINGTONSETTINGS.jpg

2. Make sure Quickeys is open and on. Seriously....someone actually forgot this and complained about it not working.

3. Open Protools. From this point on, everything else is within PT.

4. Open Beat Detective and place it in the TOP LEFT corner EXACTLY as it is here.

BEATDETECTIVE.jpg

5. If Available, Open AutoTune Audiosuite and place it in the TOP RIGHT corner EXACTLY as it is here.

AUTOTUNE.jpg

6. Open the Batch Fades settings box match the settings to this pic, varying the fade type and size however you like. The big thing is to disable the fade in/fade out box.

BATCHFADES.jpg

7. Set NUDGE to 100ms.

You are now ready to use my quickeys command set. Now I'll show you some basic commands I have setup. The video below will actually show the commands/how they work, but I will type out detailed instructions, because I hate talking and working at the same time, and I'll probably stutter and say ummmm way to much hahahaha.

COMMAND SETUP 1- EDIT WINDOW VIEW SETTINGS

On my keyboard, Ctrl 1-5 control inserts/sends/IO within my edit window. It basically follows this order:

Ctrl 1-inserts a-e
Ctrl 2-inserts f-j
Ctrl 3-sends a-e
Ctrl 4-sends f-j
Ctrl 5- I/O

Here's the video...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/338356/VIDEOS/EDIT WINDOW VIEWS.mp4

So what I have done is I've told Quickeys to go into the "VIEW" menu, then "Edit Window Views" and then it selects whichever preset I selected.
Why is this useful? Well if you're like me, you like to have as much screen space as you can when you're editing, so I like to make all that dissapear quickly. Could I use the Window configurations within protools? Absolutely and it's probably faster then this is you're used to using that. However, I've had these commands (minus the f-j sets) for years and don't plan on changing.

COMMANDS SETUP 2- DELETE FADES AND CLICK TRACK

On My keyboard, Ctrl/Option/Apple and just about any letter does something. I've used these commands because digi hasn't used them (yet). Two of the more useful ones are my delete fades and create click track.

For the click track it's pretty simple. I've told Quickeys to go to the "TRACK" menu, then "Create Click Track". I have a feel digi will make a shortcut for this soon, but for right now it saves you a few extra clicks. The command is Ctrl/Option/Apple C

The delete fades one is probably my favorite. How many times have you got to smooth or Beat Detective a section of audio and have gotten that unholy prompt saying this:

SELECTIONHASFADES.jpg

For me, It's one of the most annoying things ever, so I programmed the little known delete fades command so I never have to track down where said random fade is. For those of you that don't know here's where the actual command is:

DELETEFADES.jpg

So I programmed Quickeys to select this option and now, when I hit Ctrl/Option/Apple F it does a little something like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/338356/VIDEOS/DELETE FADES.mp4

COMMANDS SETUP 3- SAVE AS/ SAVE SESSION COPY AS

Pretty straight forward commands, again programmed with quickeys menu selections.

Save as...= Ctrl S
Save Session Copy as....= Ctrl/Option/Apple S

Looks like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/338356/VIDEOS/SAVE AS.mp4

COMMANDS SETUP 4- SMART TOOL AND ZOOM TOOL

This one is a little wierd. This one is definitely not for everyone. I've overridden 2 PT commands to allow for my zoom tool to be on the " ` " key and my smart tool to be on the " 1 " key. I just did this because for the way I work it made sense in terms of feel and speed,and so I'm not having to touch the Fkeys almost ever. No video necessary for that one.

COMING SOON IN PART 2

I'm lazy and it's new years eve, so that's all for now but here's a teaser video of a few other commands I have to show you that start to get a little more complex. Also, at the end of the tutorial I'll upload an export of all these commands so you all don't have to go through and program them....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/338356/VIDEOS/TUNER AND BD.mp4

Cool stuff. Now we need one for Logic.

Yeah once I actually figure out logic enough I'll do one for that too.

Whenever I'm not hungover after tonight, I'll do the tutorial for 1 click autotune loading, 3 different quantize and fade commands, automatic beat detective smoothing, and a custom sound replacing command.

I'm hungover as fuck, but here's 3 short videos.

The first one is a cool way to switch between triplet/non triplet grid settings for editing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/338356/VIDEOS/TRIPLET TIME.mp4

The second is auto-smoothing with beat detective.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/338356/VIDEOS/AUTO SMOOTH.mp4

The third is the automatic audio suite autotune loading.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/338356/VIDEOS/AUTOTUNE.mp4

Excuse my voice/lack of any energy in these videos...I'm hurting pretty bad, but I still gotta work.

dude, in my opinion, this is the ONLY way to use pro tools

this is how i use cubase, tons and tons of shortcuts compiled into macro's, one button hits to do lots of things in one go

i couldn't believe this stuff wasn't already in pro tools when i first fired it up.

everyone using pro tools should pay attention to this thread if you want to be fast and efficient.

yeah that's the one for sure.

I've actually come up with a couple of new ones that'll really blow people away....despite one of them being the most simple stupid thing that protools doesn't have.

I got a challenge for all you PT/Quickeys guys.

The person who can figure out a key command that'll automatically make a new playlist on a track/group of tracks, will get 10 songs worth of free drum editing from me.

I want to be able to just make a new playlist without having to scroll up to the "duplicate" or "new..." menu selections every time. I've tried for weeks to get any set of commands to work but I can't....

So that's the challenge...anyone up to up?

I got a challenge for all you PT/Quickeys guys.

The person who can figure out a key command that'll automatically make a new playlist on a track/group of tracks, will get 10 songs worth of free drum editing from me.

I want to be able to just make a new playlist without having to scroll up to the "duplicate" or "new..." menu selections every time. I've tried for weeks to get any set of commands to work but I can't....

So that's the challenge...anyone up to up?

I think shan on the DUC figured that one out

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=207585

this last one boggles me from the start

why is your drumagog WAY off?

running it in advanced mode. Since PT LE, has no delay compensation, everything but live mode has a delay. The delay on my system is something like 72 ms or something. U can just nudge it backwards the delay amount, but some of the samples still don't line up. I clearly skipped a few steps, but hopefully it still makes sense....

running it in advanced mode. Since PT LE, has no delay compensation, everything but live mode has a delay. The delay on my system is something like 72 ms or something. U can just nudge it backwards the delay amount, but some of the samples still don't line up. I clearly skipped a few steps, but hopefully it still makes sense....

oh i see

did you ever see my post about stabilizing the hits to sample accuracy?

it would work with your nudge deal

its in production tips, i'll see if i can find it and edit in the link