Prototype Announces RETROSPECT Demo Collection Digital Album Release

Mar 24, 2003
www.prototypeonline.com
ATTENTION PROTOFANS

Prototype Announces RETROSPECT Demo Collection Digital Album Release

On Tuesday, November 20th, 2012, Prototype will release the digital album RETROSPECT. A collection of the 4 "official" Prototype demos, RETROSPECT includes all 6 tracks from the now out of print Cloned CD plus 8 previously unreleased demo tracks recorded before the release of the Continuum and Catalyst albums.

14 tracks in all, RETROSPECT takes the listener on a journey back in time to hear the original recordings of these classic Prototype songs from the most recent 2008 Demo to the very first demo Seed.

The release can be pre-ordered on the Prototype Bandcamp site (http://prototypeonline.bandcamp.com/) and will be available through iTunes, Amazon.com and other digital retailers on November 20th, 2012.

Retrospect [Demo Collection] Track Listing:

01. The Chosen Ones (Demo)
02. Into Oblivion (Demo)
03. Cynic Dreams (Demo)
04. The Ageless Heart of Memory (Demo)
05. Heart Machine (Demo)
06. Half Life (Demo)
07. Serpent (Demo)
08. Devotion (Demo)
09. Transcendent Velocity (Demo)
10. Mind In Motion (Demo)
11. Synthespian (Demo)
12. Shine (Demo)
13. Seed (Demo)
14. Dead of Jericho (Demo)

RETROSPECT on its own is only $10.

HOWEVER, if you purchase RETROSPECT + a PROTOTYPE CATALYST T-SHIRT for only $25 (FREE U.S. SHIPPING, paid shipping for Rest Of World) you'll get a PROTOTYPE CATALYST CD for FREE. Just purchase the digital release and the T-Shirt and we'll include the CD at time of shipping. No waiting until 11/20/12 for the T-Shirt and CATALYST CD, we'll ship those IMMEDIATELY. KILLER DEAL!

http://prototypeonline.bandcamp.com/

Hey guys, I just bought Retrospect on Itunes. I haven't listened to everything on it yet, but from what I have heard so far -- and let me just say I REALLY hope I don't piss you guys off here -- I think I may actually prefer the demo versions of the Catalyst songs to the album.

I hadn't listened to the demos in such a long time (since late 2009 I'd say, when they were pulled from your old Myspace page) that for the most part I'd forgotten what they'd sounded like in comparison to the album versions. Once you guys announced the demo collection though, and put up the full version of The Chosen Ones demo on bandcamp, I listened to it and realized two things:

1. I thought the mix sounded a little more "balanced" (ie. vocals not quite as pushed to the back, overall sound not as overpowering) despite being much more raw.

2. Vince sounds AWESOME! The best he's ever sounded IMO. I don't know why, but his voice on the demos just sounds so much more powerful and evocative to me.

Also, not to discredit Pat in any way (God forbid I ever do that!) but Nic seriously played the hell out of those drums. Major props to him.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Catalyst and think it's a great album all the same, and really appreciate all the hard work you put into making it, but from hearing the demos once more after the fact... I just think I may prefer them a tad more.

Hey Unholy,

Thanks so much for buying Retrospect on iTunes and sharing your initial thoughts on it!

Sometimes people prefer the demo versions of songs to the final album recordings and that's absolutely fine with us. We would never be upset about that. That's exactly why we released the demo collection. There were some things from the demos that couldn't be reproduced, and details that we changed or tried to improve (like the solo in Into Oblivion) during the album recording. Sonically things changed as well due to the personnel and also the studio environment.

Regardless of which versions you prefer we are just glad that you're enjoying the music. :)

Since we're on the topic... I've seen a number of people comment on iTunes, YouTube, etc. that "The Way It Ends" sounds different on Guitar Hero III than it does on Continuum. Those people are all correct. The mix that appears on GHIII is different than the album mix. Vince and I had to make a new mix of the song at our studio specifically for the game so that the developers had separate instrument tracks to work with in the game. We will probably open the vault and release that mix as well as some other goodies in the coming months.

Cheers!