PTHD tdm user's: cards question

Mikaël-ange

Nov 7, 2008
I actually have a hd2 accel and i plan to add more card with a magma chassis.
Any of you run hd rig with hd accel and process?
How it work with tdm accel plugin only?
Any difference between hd6 accel and hd6 with 3 accel/2 process buffer wise?

Thanks in advance

Mikaël-ange

I don't think you can mix and match HD Process and HD Accel cards - the system would have to be 1 HD Core card and then the rest HD Accel cards.

I run an HD3 Accel (1 HD Core and 2 HD Accel) with a Magma PE6R4 and it works fine.

According to avid you can (3 accel and 2 process) but somes peoples get crazy shit with tdm accel only plugin. Pluging eat accel dsp first and when you max out dsp, you get crazy lag during dsp use reorganisation. Of course only when using dsp cache...

I ask because i can buy 2 process for 1 accel price. So it look like an interesting ad for an hd4 accel.

Thanks for the reply btw

Mikaël-ange;9938712 said:
According to avid you can (3 accel and 2 process) but somes peoples get crazy shit with tdm accel only plugin. Pluging eat accel dsp first and when you max out dsp, you get crazy lag during dsp use reorganisation. Of course only when using dsp cache...

I ask because i can buy 2 process for 1 accel price. So it look like an interesting ad for an hd4 accel.

Thanks for the reply btw

Avid says you can, but the one and only time I worked on a mix system, I had about 10 crashes in a day. I'm not saying it's cause of the card mis match..but it was suspect, as it was almost whenever I added ANY TDM plugin.

Ok thanks Chris. I will avoid it by security. I can't take the risk to transform a rock solid system into a pile of shit. :lol:

My last HD rig was a PCI Core (effectively a Process card) an Accel and a Process card all running in a P7R4 64bit Magma chassis,
I never noticed any problems, obviously the Accel only plugins would load up on the Accel card only but lots of the digibundled plugins ran fine on the process and core without any trouble.
Now i have an HD3 Accel (in the same magma chassis) so i cant really test anything for you as far as process cards go, but you can use your core card as an example of a process card if you are using a PCI HD system as PCI Cores are just the same power as a process card.
Have alook at what loads up on the Core as opposed to the Accel.

All that said i wouldnt bother buying a process card when the price of a used PCI Accel is so cheap now and one Accel is 3X the power of one process card.

Everything ive said stands for PCI HD cards in Windows XP and W7 PC's

Thanks for the imput man, i appreciate;)
After doing more search and reading all your impu,t i finally decided to go on hd process way.
And as you said, accel is twice more powerfull than process. So after doing the math, the process deal look more like a way to waste money and magma slot.

Mikaël-ange;9941469 said:
Thanks for the imput man, i appreciate;)
After doing more search and reading all your impu,t i finally decided to go on hd process way.
And as you said, accel is twice more powerfull than process. So after doing the math, the process deal look more like a way to waste money and magma slot.

No problem,
Actually I believe an accell card is 3x the power of a process card, I have seen accel cards sell on eBay recently fir around 450 euros so unless you are getting the process cards for about 150 euros each I woulnt bother if I were you, I'd get an accel.

What do you need hd6 for?
I never managed to max out a hd3 Accel system

Some post prod job since most of it max out an hd6.
Infortunatly where I live, hd tdm rig isn't something you can quickly find (only 6/7 pt tdm rig here, and this include 2 pt mix rig. And nobody have more than hd3 ( Elixir and Polygone studio are this one).