Punk guitarist number 18 of all time?!

Listener1254

May 19, 2003
http://www.scaruffi.com/music/guitar.html

According to this, Greg Ginn of Black Flag is the number 18 best guitarist of all time. Malmsteen is 67, and john from dream theater is 90. And Kirk Hammett is number 17, only one higher than Greg Ginn. How is it possible to have a power chord guitarist in a shitty band like black flag be number 18 and put malmsteen all the way down to 67? or to have hammett just one spot higher than ginn. These people don't know much about music. Also john from Dream Theater is really good too. Ginn could never write or come close to playing like any of these guys.

That list is seriously fucked in the ear. Fripp all the way 30? David Gilmour 121? Malmsteem, Santana, Ritchie Blackmore all pushed way back. No-No, and one of the worst: Iommi isn't even on the list. Bah.

Soulless Wanker? So I take it if you got good at guitar and could play really fast and people said you were awesome, I can call you a souless wanker? Maybe I should stick to power chords and sing about six packs and rising above so people will think im awesome!

According to this, Greg Ginn of Black Flag is the number 18 best guitarist of all time. Malmsteen is 67, and john from dream theater is 90. And Kirk Hammett is number 17, only one higher than Greg Ginn. How is it possible to have a power chord guitarist in a shitty band like black flag be number 18 and put malmsteen all the way down to 67? or to have hammett just one spot higher than ginn. These people don't know much about music. Also john from Dream Theater is really good too. Ginn could never write or come close to playing like any of these guys.

So I guess the mass influence has nothing to do with it. The seer ignorance of this post boggles my mind actually. Just power chords!?!?!?! How many Black Flag songs have you heard, or have you heard his solo stuff.

Technically there are better guitarists, but a lot of them remain faceless because they never contributed anything really interesting to music. Someone could be the best guitarist in the world but have nothing but pure shit when it comes to writhing songs.

Listener1254 said:
Soulless Wanker? So I take it if you got good at guitar and could play really fast and people said you were awesome, I can call you a souless wanker?
If I made music like Petrucci or Malmsteen's, then yes, you can.

Some metal fans are really funny. If it's simple, they say it sucks cause not much goes on there, if it's complex, they whine and say it's soulless because apparently nowadays you can't put emotion into something that has a certain number of notes or a certain speed (Who knew?). Yet noone ever talks about anyone who's just a plain great guitarist in between somewhere either, like Rock'n'Rolf or Manni Schmidt or maybe Chuck Schuldiner. It's just piss an' moan, piss an' moan. Can someone tell me how this kind of sheepiness and closed mindedness is any better then the traits of the average mainstream music fan who shuns metal for the most part? :Spin: