Purpose-built recording laptop PC's - maybe not such a ripoff?

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Blah blah, get a Mac, don't care, suck my nuts.

Now that that's out of the way :)D), in summer '08 my parents were kind enough to buy me a Rain Livebook, which has been my main computer since then. It was pretty expensive at the time (they've since gotten more reasonably priced), and I must admit feels like it's from 2001 (fat, heavy, plastic, with a fair amount of creakiness/flex), and since then, I've seen so many seemingly better-built laptops with amazing specs for less than half of what I paid for the Rain, so I was a little dubious about their claims of the extra cost going to their selection of components that work well with each other for maximum throughput and compatibility (and tweaking the OS).

However, as it turns out it may not be such BS, cuz I just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e520 (2nd-gen i5 at 2.3 gHz, 6 GB RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD) for $680 (actually, I bought an HP Probook first, but swapped it cuz of the port placement and awful anti-glare screen), hoping it would dominate, and while I love the design and build quality, I was experiencing terrible glitches/pops/clicks with my Onyx 400F, and after calling Mackie Tech Support (and speaking with their digital support dude Sean, who was unbelievably knowledgeable and helpful, hats off :headbang: ), look what I discovered in the IRQ assignments:

IRQretardation.jpg

The Mackie dude said this stuff can't be changed, so back goes the Lenovo, and I'm gonna up the RAM on the Rain and install W7 to limp it along for another half-year or so until I can afford, well, probably another Rain Livebook! (I can get one for like $1,500 spec'ed like the Lenovo, which is acceptable) And I don't want a Mac simply because a) cost of the 15" MBP (not going any smaller), and b) I'm just so 100% entrenched in the Windows feel, application ecosystem, etc., I see no reason to bail! (AND, the current Rain Livebooks look to be a much better design than mine, whereas competitors like ADK still look super dated and cheap, though I'm sure the specs and performance are still awesome)

So what exactly was wrong with the Thinkpad in simple terms - not quite sure I'm getting it here if it had a TI chipset?

Yeah, it's the fact that the IRQ (Interrupt Request) # assignments retardedly are the same for the system drive SATA controller and the expresscard slot (into which I have plugged my TI chipset FW card), so the two are constantly jockeying for bandwidth and causing epic bottlenecking - I guess cuz the expresscard slot was probably an afterthought on Lenovo's part, since most laptops these days don't seem to have them (pretty much only the business-/production-oriented ones as far as I could tell)

And I could try, say, the $850 HP Elitebook (the next model up from the Probook I had and promptly returned), but even if that one doesn't have the IRQ conflict, it still could have issues with the WLAN card, for example (which I've had in the past with the computer I had before the Rain, and I was using USB at the time, not FW), so I think I'll stick to another Rain - check out this sweet program the Mackie guy recommended, DPC Latency Checker though, it's designed to check the overall capability of a PC to reliably and consistently handle glitch-free low-latency streaming audio, so just open it up and let it run in the background while you derp around as normal on your computer, and periodically check it to see how it's running, could be really useful in isolating latency/glitch issues! (by disabling certain devices and seeing if it affects the results, for example)

been there, and you don't want to hear my solution to the problem :D but it crossed my mind that you could check some forums or ask around to see which pc laptop models are commonly used in audio production? i think there was a list of "compatible" laptops floating around the internet at some point as well.

i sometimes like to eyeball pc laptops with nice specs but the chance of shit just not working makes me cringe. around here you don't just 'take back' laptops, and that's exactly why i have a piece-of-fuck acer laptop lying around that didn't choose to work with audio interfaces. :bah:

Ah, thanks for the clarification guys - will bear in mind next time I run through the quagmire of shit that is buying a laptop for recording; probably soon 2ghz dual core isn't really cutting it for me at the moment when I near the end of mixes.

If recording is your #1 priority, buy a Mac and put Windows. Poke around MacOS out of curiosity, and have the best of both worlds. I'm pretty sure macbooks are some of the finest computers you can buy... especially used, in good condition. These Rain computers look great too, gotta give it to them.

The main problem I have with the laptop I use for mobile recording is the major DPC problems caused by my Nvidia graphics card. The highest red peaks every few seconds. Also, for some reason my AC adaptor causes peaks too, I have to disable it in the device manager every time I record.

I have a Nvidia card in my new PC too that causes it to raise from 17 to 340 now and again. Going to put my old ATI Radeon in, got great DPC latency with that.

I'm staring down the same problems in the near future. Having a laptop for audio stuff is pretty essential to me, as I do a LOT of editing at my day job, where taking a desktop just isn't possible.

My current C2D machine is showing it's age, and I'm worried about what I'll find for the future. Currently I have an express slot and dual hard drive bays, both which are hard to come by these days.

When the time comes, I plan on checking out mid priced laptops and USB 2.0 interfaces to go along with it and see if I can get better performance than my old machine.

The cost of a mid priced lappy and a decent USB 2.0 interface is still less than what I paid for my old laptop...hopefully.

Yeah, that thought occurred to me Nate, but the issue is my laptop is my only computer, so thus I would need to get a USB interface that could replace my Onyx, which I don't think I could do for less than the Babyface, for example - so I think my best bet is sticking with FW, despite the headache/cost in finding a computer that can work with it :(

EDIT: Babyface, rather (at ~$750), I don't really need all the capabilities of the Fireface UC

Irq conflicts? Christ that hasn't been something that's worried me since the days I had to delv into config.sys and auto exec.bat.
Both of which I haven't done since, Christ a sound blaster 16 was cutting edge.

IRQ conflicts, the spawn of satan!

I have an hp elitebook actually dude. 8640p core i7 - very nice little machine that. Cant fault anything on it other than the screen. HP really dont have the greatest screens on their machines unfortunately!

Yeah, that thought occurred to me Nate, but the issue is my laptop is my only computer, so thus I would need to get a USB interface that could replace my Onyx, which I don't think I could do for less than the Babyface, for example - so I think my best bet is sticking with FW, despite the headache/cost in finding a computer that can work with it :(

EDIT: Babyface, rather (at ~$750), I don't really need all the capabilities of the Fireface UC

You think the Onyz is that great? If that reads sarcastic, I dont mean it to. For me, I've been seriously looking into the Presonus 1818VSL. I know Presonus seems to be a love/hate kinda thing, but everything I've read about it has been pretty positive. The other one I was looking at was the Steinberg USB 2.0 8 pre interface, the U824 or something?

Both have additional I/O via ADAT, so I could use my current FW interface in standalone mode for 16 simultaneous tracks/preamps, which is appealling.

I'm friends with my Sweetwater rep (SW is somewhat local to me and we both play in bands) and he said the converters are better in the Presonus over the Steinberg, and the drivers were solid. He checked one out of Sweetwaters gear locker (employees can test run gear for periods of time) and he said it was a great unit.

I had a Firepod prior to my Profire2626 and I liked it well enough. If I can get the same results (or hopefully better) from the 1818, I'll be happy.

But the big thing they are touting with it is the stability of the drivers and I've read good low latency things about it too, so if I combine that with a newer quad core laptop, I'm *hoping* I'll be better off than I am now. The main thing I'm running into with my current laptop is topping out my CPU with bigger projects...And the occasional blue screen on a variety of different things (audio, graphic design, etc.).

My laptop is my main recording computer, but also is my only computer as well...So I get you on your concerns. I paid 1700 for my current HP laptop, and it's about 5 years old. There's just no way I can justify that cost right now, but if I can increase my simultaneous track count and end up with a core i7 laptop and a USB 2.0 interface all for around 1200, that makes a lot more sense to me. I just truly hope I can see better performance with the better/newer processor over USB...I'm still unsure about USB.