Putting a pair of V30's in a 1960a?

CJWall

Oct 21, 2005
Southwest Florida, USA
Has anyone done this and did you like it?

I'm starting to grow very tired of the GT-75, phasey mess kind of sound.

My question is, do I need 8ohm V30's or 16ohm? I'm assuming 8 if I am replacing two of the GT75's and I run the cab at 16ohms.

Thanks for any clarification!

Charlie

EDIT: Would it be possible/safe to just put ONE V30 in the cab with 3 other GT's? This cab is strictly for recording purposes

hey CJ just check the back of the Gt12t-75 if it says 16 (as all marshalls cabs like mine) buy the 16 version, if not, buy the 8 version, better not mix different ohms, I think you can but you have to rewire maybe... uhm I'm not an expert by any means.
When I replaced my stock G12t75, I've bought V30's with the same ohm rating .
Andy says 8 versions sounds better.
I got a harley benton (8 ohm) and the marshall 1960A with V30's (16Ohm) 8Ohm sounds creamier on the harley benton, we all know Marshall has got a little bit of fizz compared to other cabs.

some people love the x pattern and others hate it

i've got two splawn cabs with eminence manowars/governers in an x pattern (the gov's are similar to v30's...the manowars are damn near identical to gt75's) that have been my main cabs for general use for years now

before i got the last splawn, i had a marshall 1960a that was stock and i swapped two gt75's out for governers...the cab was warmer and more full sounding with the X pattern, and i think it was a big improvement

however the benefit of the x patter shows mostly in the room sound, and it can really play tricks on your ears for recording...if you just wanna record one speaker and you're hearing two it can really throw ya off, also for me it was quite a PITA to mic multiple speakers and make it work

what i ended up with was having the 4x12's for live use, and another oversized 2x12 with v30's for recording

Keep in mind that even if it's just for recording, you're going to want to replace all four speakers.

You'll hear bleed from the others, even with an SM57 right up against the grill, and it'll alter the tone :(.

CJ, I've got my 1960A running with an x-pattern like you described. All 16 ohm speakers. As far as recording goes, people talk about bleed from the 75s, but I have not noticed any. I also have a 1960 Vintage with V30s at a rehearsal space but when it was at home, there was negligible difference in recorded tone....period. Running one V30 would probably do you the trick just fine.

Keep in mind that even if it's just for recording, you're going to want to replace all four speakers.

You'll hear bleed from the others, even with an SM57 right up against the grill, and it'll alter the tone :(.

For Recording on my 1960B Cab, I only changed 2 bottom speakers and wired it so that the 2 vintage 30's were on the same circuit when switched in Stereo mode.

I just plug into the first input on stereo mode and I am only hearing the 2 Vintage 30's at 8ohms.

Cj i got a real old 1960 Marshall but i also did 2 v30 with original g12's and mine are all 16ohm speakers and cab is wired for 16ohms.....

I love the sound also i must admit.:headbang: :kickass: :headbang:

Thanks for all the help dudes!!!

I think I'll go ahead and get a pair to see how I like it.

Worst comes to worse, I'll just sell the whole lot and get a Mesa Recto cab :)

For Recording on my 1960B Cab, I only changed 2 bottom speakers and wired it so that the 2 vintage 30's were on the same circuit when switched in Stereo mode.

I just plug into the first input on stereo mode and I am only hearing the 2 Vintage 30's at 8ohms.

i tried that with a stereo 2x12 i had and the tone of just one speaker didn't work well at all for me unfortunately