Putting v30's in a Peavey Ultra cab?

Deaf Ear

Feb 25, 2007
I have two Peavey ultra cabs sitting around, and I thought about putting v30's in one of them. Is the wood good enough to make this a great cab? I'm not a guitar player, so I thought I'd ask around before I thought further about it.

You guys crack me up. Is there a place where I can get educated on every important aspect of a cabinet besides the speakers. I know that the wood and the size and how well it's sealed make a difference, but what difference or how much I honestly have no clue. I just have 2 4 12 cabs that sound too dark for my taste, a bit muddy, and thought that might be a cheaper alternative to buying a new cab. I just don't want to spend less money and not get a good sound.

I say try it. If you like the tone, you can always sell the old speakers for cheap. If you don't like it, you can sell the old speakers and the new cab as "v30 loaded!!!". Then you could afford a purpose built v30 cab.

Same question- but i have a marshall 2x12. Will taking out the old speakers, buying V30s, learning how to solder, soldering in said V30s make enough of a difference to my tone to make all of that worth it?

Or should i just wait for a few more paydays and get a new cab (my head sounded soooo meaty through a Krank straight 4x12 i borrowed a few gigs ago)

I don't know, but I will say this: the V30 and G12T75 combo is fucking classic and you'll get the best of both worlds with one of each. Soldering is not difficult at all - it's poking metal things with a hot thing and melting stuff onto them - and if you do upgrade (I would upgrade to an Avatar, they're well-built and frighteningly cheap... like under $400 for a Celestion-loaded cab) you can take the speaker(s) you like out of that Marshall and start swapping things around.

Jeff