Pyramaze = FUCK YEAHS

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So yeah, I love that I've been finding these metal bands that have clean vocals but are still heavy without being overly power metally or cheesy (IMO of course). First it was Mercenary, and now it's Pyramaze:

I know that intro riff is generic, but it's amazing how much cooler it gets with the layering going on. And yes, that's Matt Barlow doing vox :D (their first album he wasn't on apparently, haven't gotten around to spinning that yet). But yeah, does anyone have any other recommendations for bands like these guys and Mercenary? Slightly power metal without too many cliches? So no Dream Evil, no Hammerfall, no Helloween, etc. please ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you would like them (because they are cheesy and power-metal haha) but Symphony X has some awesome material, really. IMHO of course.

Yeah, Symphony X teeters on the edge of being too cheesy for me, but I've heard some great stuff by them, so I really need to delve deeper!

BTW, production reminds me of Jacob Hansen again.

EDIT: My ears didn't deceive me :lol: it's on Hansen's official website.

Coolness, I dig the prod on this, though the guitars are a bit too "dense" in the upper mids, reminds me of some Marshall tones I haven't liked too much - oh well, no biggy, I'm just nitpicking! Hansen did some Mercenary stuff I take it?

And definitely get your hands on this album Erik, I think you'll dig it!

I know another band like that, my band :lol:
www.myspace.com/mindfeeder
We are just an amateur unsigned band of course, the songs on myspace are from our first EP, we are currently recording our first full album in my recentely built home-studio... Pictures and samples will follow as soon as i have some time :loco:
I have been here on the forum a lot, mostly searching and learning with all you guys so i have to say thank you for all your indirect help, the little i know i learned mostly here :headbang:

Now on the subject there is a band i love that i think also fit's your description but unfortunely they split already, it's Stygma IV, also know before as Stigmata:
http://www.myspace.com/stygma4

Keep feeding your mind... With Heavy Metal!

Coolness, I dig the prod on this, though the guitars are a bit too "dense" in the upper mids, reminds me of some Marshall tones I haven't liked too much - oh well, no biggy, I'm just nitpicking! Hansen did some Mercenary stuff I take it?

And definitely get your hands on this album Erik, I think you'll dig it!

I'm digging what I'm hearing in youtube! Nowadays I barely have the time to listen to some music :(

Just added a few songs from the EP to Myspace, for some reason one of the MP3 vanished, the song name was there but no file and another song completely vanished also... Myspace is strange...

I think that you would like Dream Evil, Hammerfall and Helloween! :)

.. No, but i dont really know anything in this genre, but its pretty damn good!

I really like mercenary, but this too power metal/generic sounding for me. Mercenary do there own thing, but this just sounds like just another power metal band to me (imho).

Maybe they`re too soft or too cheesy for you, but I like em:

I think it`s a Fredman recording, at least their older stuff was.

Slough Feg = Awesome Powermetal from SF

I really like mercenary, but this too power metal/generic sounding for me. Mercenary do there own thing, but this just sounds like just another power metal band to me (imho).

+1, but hey, different folks, different strokes.

So yeah, I love that I've been finding these metal bands that have clean vocals but are still heavy without being overly power metally or cheesy (IMO of course). First it was Mercenary, and now it's Pyramaze:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wquboYw-acY

I know that intro riff is generic, but it's amazing how much cooler it gets with the layering going on. And yes, that's Matt Barlow doing vox :D (their first album he wasn't on apparently, haven't gotten around to spinning that yet). But yeah, does anyone have any other recommendations for bands like these guys and Mercenary? Slightly power metal without too many cliches? So no Dream Evil, no Hammerfall, no Helloween, etc. please ;)

thats funny.. you said this band wasnt cheesy but then said matthew barlow was singing. perhaps your confused??? lol :loco:. this is still cheesy power metal to me. not AS cheesy, ill give you that.

Lately i´ve been diggin this band a LOT

ALMAH

and i just discovered this band on youtube and i really like it

Pursuader

Im sure you will love this one, metaltastic