PYRAMAZE Parts Ways With Guitarist, Bassist

Metalmilitia2000

UM's Resident Asshole
Apr 22, 2003
Maplewood, Minnesota
www.facebook.com
Danish/American metallers PYRAMAZE have parted ways with guitarist Michael Kammeyer and bassist Niels Kvist.

Commented Kammeyer: "I have for a long time now struggled to find the mental surplus as well as the sheer time to put into the large endeavor that PYRAMAZE has become.

"Back when I created the band in 2002, my private and professional life looked a lot different than it does today, and it has become increasingly taxing on me to find the energy that is needed to do all the stuff that I have to do. In fact, it has become difficult to the point where it's not justifiable anymore.

"I have had to take a long hard look at what I must do, to avoid a mental meltdown, and, unfortunately, I have had to make a hard decision — in fact, probably the hardest decision I've ever had to make. I feel the time has come to stop my journey with PYRAMAZE.

"The band has been a very important part of my life for the last 8-9 years. I've built it from scratch, and I've been working my ass off to get PYRAMAZE to where it is now. So it is truly with a heavy heart that I now close this chapter.

"However, PYRAMAZE will go on. Jonah [Weingarten, keyboards], Urban [Breed, vocals], Toke [Skjønnemand, guitar] and Morten [Gade Sørensen, drums] have decided to carry on, and it is with a sense of comfort that I now leave the rudder in their capable hands. They are all great musicians, and I'm convinced they have some tricks up their sleeves in the songwriting department. I therefore hope that all of our awesome fans will continue to support PYRAMAZE.

"I want to thank everyone who has helped the band through the years, fans as well as friends, family and business partners. I have always greatly appreciated your support. But most of all, thanks to my band brothers, who have made PYRAMAZE special to me.

"I hope the songs that I've written will continue to inspire, continue to put a smile on your faces and continue to make you raise your metal fists to the sky shouting PYRAMAZE!"

Added Jonah Weingarten: "This is a truly a sad day for PYRAMAZE, with Michael and Niels announcing their departure. You will both be missed, and, of course, remain my lifetime friends. You have both made a tremendous mark on establishing PYRAMAZE as an institution in the underground power/heavy metal world. I love and respect you both as though you were my own blood brothers. You guys have created so many memories that I will cherish forever. I speak for all of us when I say these things.

"With that said, PYRAMAZE will carry forth, and the remaining members will carry the task of songwriting and orchestrating band responsibilities. We will do so with the intention of staying true and pertinent to Michael's vision; A vision of brotherhood and creativity indicative of musical integrity and honesty.

"To me, PYRAMAZE stands for something rare in the music industry, with so many bands so quick to sell out with just a whiff of a big record deal or a few extra album sales. We will continue to honor our true fans, those who have been there since the beginning with 'Melancholy Beast' and 'Legend of the Bone Carver', in addition to those who joined the PYRAMAZE fellowship upon the release of 'Immortal'.

"I am humbled and honored by Michael's faith in the remaining members to shoulder the responsibility of carrying on his vision, his creative child, if you will.

"I would hereby like to announce that my performance and writing input on our forthcoming album is dedicated to you, Michael and Niels."

Vocalist Urban Breed (TAD MOROSE, BLOODBOUND) joined PYRAMAZE in July 2008 following the departure of ICED EARTH singer Matt Barlow.

Barlow handled the vocals on PYRAMAZE's last album, "Immortal", which was released in the U.S. on June 24, 2008 via Locomotive Records.

"Immortal"'s vocal sessions were helmed by producer Jim Morris, who has worked with ICED EARTH on the group's last few releases. The CD was mixed by Jacob Hansen (RAUNCHY, INVOCATOR, MERCENARY).

Barlow originally joined PYRAMAZE as the replacement for Lance King who left the band in November 2006.

(Originally posted on Blabbermouth)

Fuck.

That is one word but its probably the only way to describe my reaction properly.

Micheal and Niels, you will be missed. The bass lines ripped, and the guitar screams forever in the stereo.

That being said I hope that there will still be at least some bits and pieces of anything you have written will be on the upcoming album.

Otherwise I know Jonah, Morten, Toke and Urban share the same vision you guys had for the band.

PS. Try to find a minute every once in while to keep in touch on the forum. That includes you Niels.

Wow! I just puked, shed a tear and managed a smile at the same time...the latter being that the band will continue on.

Thank you- thank you- thank you Micheal and Niels for what you made part in Pyramaze. I wish you both success, health and happiness moving forward. You both will be missed bigtime and will be in our PYRAWARRIOR metal hearts forever! And thank you both for your graciousness. Not that I was or it was important- but when I first found out about Pyramaze I use to email and bug you guys, ask questions, your thoughts about the band, metal in general, families, lifes meaningful things. You both were kind enough to take the time outside of the FORUMS and communicate with me as I'm sure you've done to countless fans. Us fans appreciate it and I will take those little memories with me as well as the music given going forward.

And to Jonah- we love what you stand for. Your musical integrity, your statement and comments regarding the current band situation is nothing but a total class act! To the current band members moving forward- best of luck and please keep this Pyra-machine running full throttle. You know you have our total support and following...nothing out there is quite like the music that is Pyramaze!

ok...I'm done sucking up and being all sentimental. NOW GIVE US SOME NEW FOOKIN PYRAMAZE! lol

That's news, but not quite the news I expected or wanted to hear...

Well, Muz, you summed up my feelings quite well.

Pyramaze is my favorite band and I always will love the three albums they have released up to now. Michael and Niels, I really would like to thank you for the great music that you wrote and recorded! And I truly wish you all the best for the future! You will be missed for sure!

As sad as I am about Michael and Niels leaving, as happy I am that Jonah, Urban, Toke and Morten will carry on and keep Pyramaze alive! Thank you guys! :)

I know that Jonah's and Urban's songwriting capabilities are amazing, and I'm pretty sure Toke and Morten will also come up with great ideas. The new album will surely be different, but nonetheless I'm sure I will easily be identified as Pyramaze.

We loyal Pyrawarriors will support you, Muz is surely right about that!

:kickass:

Wow, I wasn't expecting this... Michael's awesome songwriting capabilities and the cool bass fills that Niels threw in here and there were obviously an integral part of Pyramaze. I never would have expected the creator of the band to leave! I'm glad that Pyramaze is continuing, every album they've done has been special and kicked ass... but I think Michael and Niels presence will be missed on future releases.

Nevertheless, keep the metal flowing Jonah, Toke and Morten.

I guess I should probably weigh in now, as opposed to just posting the article. Having known Jonah for several years, I know he is a good songwriter, so I know he can keep the boat afloat. Michael was the mast of the ship, but it takes more than just a mast to keep it going. While disappointing, and somewhat surprising, as I know how much of a child this band was to Michael, I don't think this is the end of the road for Pyramaze. This band has endured bad luck, bad label support, an ever evolving roster of vocalists, and they will endure this. I can't imagine Michael and Niels closing the door on this forever, so who's to say that maybe there wouldn't at least be a collaboration down the line, if not a rejoining of the lineup once they feel rejuvenated (and this is PURE speculation, even though I am a moderator of this board, I am not privy to any inside information to that degree). Time only can tell what will happen now. For now, Jonah, Urban, and the rest of the guys have my full support and open-minded thoughts about this.

Brent

Although this is one of the saddest and most unexpected things I have ever heard, I am happy to hear the the band will continue on. I can't say how impressed I am with Michael and his forward thinking attitude. He created the band, and thus he is the best one to decide who will carry forward his vision. I am excited to see the new material despite being melancholic that Michael and Nils will not be present. I will always support you guys, and I hope to see some new stuff sooner rather than later.

Well, Thank you to all the former members of Pyramaze.. The Album "The Bone Carver" has had an incredible effect in my life. I'm incredibly grateful for the passionate song-writing that went into that album... it's a moving concept album, really.
I look forward to the continuance of Pyramaze.
Pyrawarrior, forever!

Right on CARBON and I should've mentioned...agree with your "BONE CARVER" comments. That truly is a masterpiece and one that is in my all time elite category...be it metal or any other genre.

I guess now we can wonder atleast two things...

-will there be a (new) 2nd guitarist added to the band...keeping the duo format?
-and unless I missed it...did not see mention of a new bass player?

Thanks Michael and Niels for your major contribution to the metal scene. When I first listened to "Melancholy Beast" it brought me back to the mid '80s and will always be one of my all time favorite metal albums. "Legend of the Bone Carver" is a metal masterpiece and "Immortal" is a perfect combination of the first two.

Jonah, Morten, Toke, and Urban, I know your vision will keep the Pyramaze journey moving onward and upward. Some false prophets say that Rock is dead but not to the righteous warriors like us who maintain the foundation of the true metal movement. I know we can all press forward during these challenging times in the Metal Music Industry.

Damn, I fall behind on news for only 2 weeks and THIS happens while I'm gone. This makes me one sad panda:cry:. I can still remember that feeling of pure bliss back in the winter of 2004 when I got the Melancholy Beast album in the mail and listened to it for the first time. I don't even know how many times I listened to Legend Of The Bone Carver in the first couple weeks after it came out, I just can't count that high. The same thing goes for Immortal. Those first 3 albums are going to forever be in my playlists. I'm still fucking glad that Pyramaze will continue though, and I'm excited and nervous at the same time to see what the future holds.

Damn... That's really too bad. Pyramaze has become one of my favorite bands around. I wish Michael and Niels nothing but the best, and I look forward to what the guys remaining give us next!!!

Thanks for everything Michael and Niels! You two will be missed!

Although this is one of the saddest and most unexpected things I have ever heard, I am happy to hear the the band will continue on.
Ditto. Well, I'd like to thank Michael for starting a band that has had me hooked since the beginning, and has been a tremendous contribution to the melodic metal scene/community. Aside from my own fandom, I introduced my guitar-playing cousin to Pyramaze a year or two ago, and he is now collaborating with another friend at college in writing their own power/prog metal, and Pyramaze is one of their foremost influences (and they're writing good stuff)...thought you'd like to know that.