Quad tracking question

RichS

none
May 19, 2008
Just how close do you get your tracks to one another? Does anyone have an example of quad tracks, Clean, not distorted, unprocessed ??

Thanks!

Well in all honesty I've never found it necessary to quad so maybe someone with more experience can answer for sure. Buuut as far as I know there shouldn't be much more too it aside from maybe the two high gain tracks and two lower gain tracks for clarity but as far as how they line up you want them to be very tight you don't want anyone to know there's more than 1 track it's supposed to sound like a wall of sound do a search I'm almost positive this has been posted before otherwise idk how I would know all this information.

Check out the Rose of Sharyn DI's for a good example of how tightly quadtracked guitars sound.

What I do to check is pan them all to one side and listen without the click - it should sound like one massive, overly smooth take.

Close enough so that you can't tell there's 4 guitars playing?

Like koalamo's saying, so tight that you percieve it as one guitar playing..
However.. The tracks can be played with different guitars and/or different amps/cabs/mics.. that gives a different flavour..
Just get the DI's tight..

Quad tracking is such a pain in the dick if you're someone like me with a (not so good) sense of rhythm

I'm in the same boat :( even with tight dual-tracking i have some problems...
i always thought i`m a not-so-bad guitarist, but since i`m recording myself, i feel like i`m the shittiest guitar-player in the world. any tips for becoming better and get a better sense of rythm? (besides parctice with click and record myself over and over again)

regards, markus

I think the bottom line is that no band should enter a studio before practising their songs to click. It just gets frustrating when a muso can't play something they wrote properly. I'm currently stuck in studio with a band just like this. (I shant be doing it again) spending weeks on a song (guitars) is rediculous IMO!

I'm in the same boat :( even with tight dual-tracking i have some problems...
i always thought i`m a not-so-bad guitarist, but since i`m recording myself, i feel like i`m the shittiest guitar-player in the world. any tips for becoming better and get a better sense of rythm? (besides parctice with click and record myself over and over again)

regards, markus

Yeah dude I guess it's just practice. I'm getting better at it. I can shred like there's no tomorrow but doing it to a click sucks

I think the bottom line is that no band should enter a studio before practising their songs to click. It just gets frustrating when a muso can't play something they wrote properly. I'm currently stuck in studio with a band just like this. (I shant be doing it again) spending weeks on a song (guitars) is rediculous IMO!

THIS!!!

My band is recording ourselves.....8 song EP.....and we're limited on time (like maybe 2-3 days a week, 3-8 hour days, depending), but we have all the time in the world to take to make it right. I have pretty much experience with tracking myself, sitting at home, take after take after take after punch in after punch in. It came to the point where our other guitarist basically couldn't cleanly play barely even a measure of a song he wrote, and has been playing for like 5 years. It was very disappointing to say the least. If we had booked real studio time, we'd be fucked.

Practice by yourself. Turn down the gain really low, or unplug your guitar from the amp, and play. This helps with picking precision and attack. Hit the strings like you mean it, don't be a pussy about it. I find that even 30 mins every day will help overall, and within a week or 2 you really start to notice improvement.

Boo. Call me a snob, but I feel that if a band can't play the song right, they shouldn't be recording it.

I disagree. Back when I used to play in bands and shit I used parts that I could pull off live but took forever to track in the studio. Luckily we tracked in our singer's studio

Thanks guys, I downloaded Rose of Sharyn DI's and realized my playing is the same.

If you monitor the recorded tracks in mono it's VERY easy to hear if you're out of time. If the takes sound like one, then check in stereo for string noise, weakly fretted notes and that kind of stuff.
If the takes passed those test, they're ok.

I'm surprised to hear that, seeing how YouTube proves they actually pull it off live flawlessly

With Necrophagist, it's more for the effect of having little-to-no pick attack and it ends up sounding super smooth. Veil of Maya does the same sort of thing, but partially for tonal reasons and partially because Keene is a lazy dick.