Quadtracking hurts!!!

With the center one significantly lower, and even drastically low-passed if you so wish. The danger with 3 is having the center one cloud the space for your vocals, so you need to have it a lot lower.

Tape them shits up. Best quad tracking results i've ever gotten was taping up strings I wasn't using in certain riffs rather than the sock approach which works great but hits every single string.

Hmm, intriguing - with what kinda tape? And just wrap it tightly around the string a few times?

vlcsnap-180447.png

vlcsnap-179596.png

i second this

if you plan on reamping, record with more gain than you'll need later on, so you can hear even more possible crappy noises

it will get annoying as hell, but if you're in the business of being precise, this is an extra check for your self.

I disagree with the "more gain" statement.
Guitarists tend to play softer when they hear more gain. After re-amping you will end up with guitars that were not played hard enough.

That's true. Recording with less gain you tend to get tighter and more aggressive tracks. Forces the guitarist to work harder.

I think simply track as close to what you expect to be the final tone as possible. If you use a moderate amount of gain you'll hear both the transients AND muddy ringing notes, so there's no need to do any crazy shit.