Quantising the real drums in PRO TOOLS!

Feb 17, 2006
HELP! I am a newbie with protools, how do you quantize the audio track of the dums there? I have for example the ride ot the snare or the overhead mics track recorded and they need a significant quantization, I heard about the Beat Detective, how does it works? Please it is very important!

that is a fairly good article on beat detective. there is some essentials that he left out when it comes to metal drum editing. For example, there will ALWAYS be times (especially during big double kick parts or complex ride parts) where the hands and feet wont meet up at all. Just remember hands ALWAYS win. Since the kick drum is usually the quietest drum you can usually just draw the feet in later. BUT that being said, You should always try and do all drums together, especially if you plan on using any room mics in your mix. If you track the drums with the drummer, it may be wise to just have him play the double kick parts he cant pull off by playing the hands with the kicks at half speed (say 1/4 or 8th notes instead 16ths) and draw the feet in later. Also listen closely to your cymbals and rides as the doubled hits show up most with those, usually in a fast ride part i'll quantize the ride hits and drums that dont happen at the same time as the ride, then fix the off the kicks and snares afterwards. I could really go on for days with stuff...

As he said though LISTEN to the drums...and dont ever edit without the click going...beat detective is notorious for saying it will quantize to a certain beat and then it'll be a 16th or 8th off even after you've fixed the trigger time. So make sure your listening closely and fixing any mistakes.

hope we helped ya.

for fast kick sections create a group for kit without kicks and a group for just the kicks and do the two separately. You'll get away with it as the kicks will just be a blur in the oh's and room mics. This is what I've been told as I work with professionals that need no correction...cough splutter....

oh and do it in small amounts like 4 bars at a time then consolidate and delete unused regions as you go. Also highlight the area and apple E to separate it before you work on it because it can tend to nudge reagions after the area you are working on if you are not careful.

Andy Sneap said:
for fast kick sections create a group for kit without kicks and a group for just the kicks and do the two separately. You'll get away with it as the kicks will just be a blur in the oh's and room mics. This is what I've been told as I work with professionals that need no correction...cough splutter....

I don't believe surely everyone that gets to a level to work with you must be great! Take Kiss for example man those kids could really play.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The thing that always gets me is that these 'drummers' hit shit for a living - yet they moan when you ask them to hit shit hard! A thwacked drum kit works much better as a whole in my experience than a pussy behind the kit.

Anyway thanks for the tips Andy and everyone above - I've just started looking at beat detective and hope to work on sessions where I never have to use it!

Andy Sneap said:
oh and do it in small amounts like 4 bars at a time then consolidate and delete unused regions as you go. Also highlight the area and apple E to separate it before you work on it because it can tend to nudge reagions after the area you are working on if you are not careful.

cheers for that andy, if i had a penny for the ammount of times ive bd'd half of a song by eye, only to listen back to an aural nightmare... you know the rest. lol, ta