Queen of the Informed

The Wickerman

Where's the Beef?
May 12, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
So, I was listening to "Queen of the Informed" the other day, and as a (sort of) part of the group of people Ted is targeting in this song, I can't help but feel like maybe it's not quite being fair to both sides. As a very liberal-minded person who opposes the Iraq War, I too feel like the other side is always trying to shove their opinions down my throat, and the song (while obviously not meant to be taken too seriously) just feels kind of one-sided. I'm sure it most likely wasn't Ted's intention to do this, but I don't know, it just sort of rubs me the wrong way. If Ted and I don't see eye to eye on this or any other issue, I want to make it clear that I do in fact respect other people's differing opinions, and would like to ask him to remember that there are "queens of the informed" on both sides of the coin.

Anyway, just wanted to get that out of my system. Anyone by chance happen to agree? I still like the song musically, of course.

This song could have been called the Queen of the Un-Informed actually :heh:

I think had a certain type, or individual in mind. And I can relate, the really opinionated "in your face" un-informed dummy that only sees it one way. I knew one well, what a pain in the ass she was.

If I am correct this covers more than the war it is someone who knows nothing and hears all this crap from other people and then thinks she knows it all. Kind of like a person that has a bunch of people around her that she listens to and simply repeats the things she has heard never really being very educated herself but just repeating opnions what she or he would hear?

I forget who this was but Doug explained it too me I will have to ask Ted again but I think I am pretty much on the mark here.

Don't let it rub you wrong bro Ted was not targeting you or intelligent people more the fools that just spew forth and do not have a clue. Yes this applies both ways. :heh:

So, I was listening to "Queen of the Informed" the other day, and as a (sort of) part of the group of people Ted is targeting in this song, I can't help but feel like maybe it's not quite being fair to both sides. As a very liberal-minded person who opposes the Iraq War, I too feel like the other side is always trying to shove their opinions down my throat, and the song (while obviously not meant to be taken too seriously) just feels kind of one-sided. I'm sure it most likely wasn't Ted's intention to do this, but I don't know, it just sort of rubs me the wrong way. If Ted and I don't see eye to eye on this or any other issue, I want to make it clear that I do in fact respect other people's differing opinions, and would like to ask him to remember that there are "queens of the informed" on both sides of the coin.

Anyway, just wanted to get that out of my system. Anyone by chance happen to agree? I still like the song musically, of course.

Yep, gotta go with Ed on this one.

In a culture where “you have to stand for something, or you’ll fall for anything” culture we get a lot of queens (and kings) on either side of an issue. And then we have the folks in the middle preaching tolerance.

C’mon, they all can’t be right! :saint:

But seriously, I have always thought that the song was influenced by a specific event, whether it be a news article or an actual altercation and based on the emotional response at that specific point in time.

I know when I’ve written “things”, it’s usually based on my feelings at that specific moment in time.

If parity is what you need
Maybe it’s time you breed

Gotta love those lyrics, any parent has to appreciate them.

Your Daddy drowned in tuition fees
Your MBA in THC

Awesome line!!!!

We all knew that outspoken patchouli wearing 'informed' female in college that would jump down your throat if your views weren't of her ideals.

Yes I take as there are plenty of outspoken queens of the informed who simply take stances just b/c they are deemed liberal or conservative. People need to take a step back, logically think about what's right and wrong, and not let their emotions take over.

Yeah, polarizing based on political party can get so absurd. I mean, look at all these republicans claiming that global warming is a myth, just because of Al Gore trying to raise awareness about it. I mean, there is overwhelming scientific evidence that global warming is real, and it's pretty obvious that the only reason they argue against it is because a democrat said it. If someone like Rudy Giuliani had made "An Inconvenient Truth", they probably wouldn't question it for a second. No one's willing to listen to anyone else. They just assume if you're from the other party, you must automatically be wrong. It's ridiculous.

Problem is, the "global warming" debate is far from over, in spite of what those on one side proclaim.

I'm not saying I know all the answers, but there are a lot of questions remaining to be answered in a way that will convince me one way or the other.

It has become a political debate, and I hate that. I want it to be a scientific debate, but there are many actual scientists who have been shut out of a debate that one side has determined is over.

It's not over.

Well, as I understand it, there is almost no debate among scientists about whether or not it exists. This is what I have heard, not just from Al Gore, but from college professors and people who extensively study this stuff. The only dissent for the most part that I have heard is from people who seem to only oppose it for political reasons.

A while back, Al Gore came here to give a speech about this subject, and there was this group of Young Republicans who protested outside, and claimed that he was just lying to make money off of people. And of course, they made no secret about the fact that they were republicans, which is practically admitting that they're only there to disagree with the horrible evil democrat who works for the devil. I suppose I don't have to add that they offered no scientific rebuttal of their own, they just said "He's lying, and he only wants your money", and that's it. Yeah, that's really thinking critically.

Of course, no one wants to believe that we're slowly destroying the planet, and that we're all in grave danger. I sure as hell don't. However, you can't deny the overwhelming evidence. With all the CFC's and other shit that we're pumping into the atmosphere every day, and the noticable increase in temperatures and severe weather, that's obviously enough to raise a few eyebrows. And furthermore, did you know that we are the only superpower in the world who hasn't signed the Kyoto Agreement, an agreement to take active measures to reduce the amount of CO2 and other harmful gases into the atmosphere? And we're obviously responsible for a considerable percentage of that. All of the other countries with large populations have signed it, but we haven't. I don't know about you, but that kinda ticks me off. Even if somehow most scientists are wrong and global warming doesn't exist, we're definitely going down a bad road here.

But anyway, I don't really want to get into a big debate about this. I was just using this as an example of how people make arguments based on nothing but partisan politics. I just find it really frustrating when people are just stubbornly dismissive on this, or any other issue. I'm not claiming to know everything about the subject, but I have taken the time to try to educate myself on it, and have actually thought about it, and I can't possibly deny that we're doing a lot of things to fuck this planet up. Not trying to preach or anything, just giving my perspective based on what I've learned.

mind if I chime in?

First off let me make clear that I am not a very politcal person. I find gaping holes in the logic and objectivity of both sides as one leans further to the right OR left. I have a hard time getting behind either party which is why when a political conversation arises I jokingly refer to my self as a registered cynic. The tone of this song was indeed argumentative and for that I apologize. My stance on this and any issue these days is Romans 12:18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men

When I wrote QOTI, I was inspired by specific and local events. For the first couple of weeks after the war began college students were flooding the streets of SF in protest and basically shutting down commerce to do so. Being self employed, it offended me that people were prevented from pursuing the means to take care of their family because these students thought that waving signs would sway opinions.

When writing a song it's always more effective to be specific so I did target a certain group but I'm offended by anyone who thinks "noone but my kind has an open mind" or that obnoxiousness and sheer volume is going to change opposing viewpoints....to me it's just noise pollution.

not sure how we got here but:

I can't think of any monetary reason to promote the knowledge of global warning but there are obvious monetary reasons to suppress it. That alone should redirect ones skepticism. The Arctic ice shelf IS shrinking at an alarming rate....that's not politics, that's just math.

I personally appreciate that Enchant fans and prog fans in general are intelligent beings and enjoy this kind of discourse. It also seems to be pretty friendly so keep it up.

Shalom,
Ted

The trouble with the maples,
(And they're quite convinced the're right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light.
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made.
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade.

There is trouble in the forest,
And the creatures all have fled,
As the maples scream `Oppression`
And the oaks, just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights.