Queensryche

She Wolf

Iced Earth Rules!
Jan 10, 2002
New Hampshire, USA
Visit site
Okay, I'm braving my first "new thread", so be nice. (he he)

What can you tell me about Queensryche, as I've been told by Spawn that many people on this board like them. I have most of their CD's. Things that you could tell me are items like: Which CD's are concept albums (except Operation Mindcrime, that one is obvious, and I believe Promised Land is as well); the stories they're telling in them (I know OM's storyline); about the band members; and whatever else tickles your fancy.

I went to their website and got very little information, so anything you could supply me with would be instantly obsorbed and very appreciated. :headbang: :loco: :err:

I can tell you Queensryche is good and that I only own the greatest hits and Operation Mindcrime (so far!) but im sure there are some more knowledgable people here on this matter........ :D

Another question: What is that symbol they use called (and if it's called a queensryche, then where did they get it from and where is it used, other than the band, of course, or whatever?)

Come on in everyone and take a bite at this, please, please, please! It's driving me insane! I gotta know! (And, patience is NOT a virtue!!!)

:mad: :lol: :mad: :lol: :mad: :lol: - my split personality - another crazy American...

:lol: Dont worry, its only 930am here at the moment!

You wait until Wrathchild gets here, he is the resident Queensryche fanatic! :headbang:

I believe that the symbol is the tri-ryche, whatever that is.

In my opinion the only concept album is "Operation: Mindcrime". I don't know why people think "Promised Land" is a concept album, because I can't see any concept behind it. Awesome album, though, except for a couple of dud tracks.

I don't think they have any other albums, which could be considered 'concept' albums - not in my opinion, anyway.

Oh, and my favourite Queensryche album is now "Q2K" - excellent album, EXTREMELY underrated. "Hear in the Now Frontier" is their only weak point, I believe - the rest of their stuff rules.

Dunno about stories. "Bridge" is about when Chris DeGarmo's father contacted him out of the blue quite a few years after walking out on his family when Chris was a kid, not bothering to call him until he was a famous rock musician. Good song, that. Can't be bothered remembering the others at the moment :)

There nams comes from one of there early son's on the Queenryche EP call "Queen of the Ryche". And I think that Mindcrime is there best work as well as Empire, but whatever you do don't bother with Live Evolution, it is horrible.

Wrathy for your informaion Verandah's did have the version of Livecrime with the two bonus track for $42.

Does anyone know were I can get a copy of there version of Scarbough Fair, It was a B-side to Empire.

Originally posted by 9mm
Hey koichi, one of my friends said this guy Devin Townsend was a good musician, but I am unsure. What is your educated opinion on aforementioned artist?

Your friend is obviously a fool for not owning a complete devin townsend collection,tell him to go buy everything now,without listening to it,and if he is to stupid to like,he can always sell them to somebody with inteliigence.

Originally posted by Spiff
I believe that the symbol is the tri-ryche, whatever that is.

In my opinion the only concept album is "Operation: Mindcrime". I don't know why people think "Promised Land" is a concept album, because I can't see any concept behind it. Awesome album, though, except for a couple of dud tracks.
I don't think they have any other albums, which could be considered 'concept' albums - not in my opinion, anyway.

Thank you for your answer, Spiffy! *LOL* The reason I think Promised Land may be a concept album is the following:
- The album starts with someone dying, then being reborn and immediately kicks into "I am I."
- The subject of the album (man) is then Damaged, put into a mental hospital (for drug/alcohol abuse?) with a "little girl" (Lady Jane?) and an old man (DeGarmo's Dad? - they mention him "shouting and cursing at someone who clearly isn't around") in Out of Mind.
- Bridge (the old man?) who never gave a shit about him.
- Promised Land is about an alcoholic struggling with his downfall.
- Disconnected - he once again discusses his pills and his loathsome state.
- Lady Jane - at first I thought this was about molestation - yikes!. Now I question if she's actually the little girl in Out of Mind that sits in the corner. I think he might have showed her the "real" world, since she had locked herself into her dead world (her mind.)
- My Global Mind - he discusses his helplessness and frustration in the state of the world. Reason for his drug/alcohol abuse to deaden his mind?
- One More Time - he wants another chance at life
- Someone else - he talks about his fall from grace (drugs) and how he's changed and even though he's straight now, he takes a look back once in a while to see another person, "someone else not me."

Plus, the title Promised Land, implies that we were promised something we didn't get. That's briefly, IMHO, why people think this is a concept album. I'm surprised that it might not be, as there's definitely a continuing theme/story throughout it. I just know myself, I have a way of seeing things that may not be there (*LOL) and wanted to get it straight. Also, on their website, they say that they're currently working on a new concept album - so I wondered if they had done others except OM.

I have The Warning (excellent), Rage of Order (ex...), Operation: Mindcrime (ex...), Empire (ex..), Promised Land (ex...), Greatest Hits (there's a theme here folks, excellent), and Q2K (current opinion is not good, but I'll have another listen.) I think I'm only missing 2 (Demo CD and Hear in the Now Frontier.) I love this band almost as much as Iced Earth!!!! Note Spawn, I said ALMOST.

:lol: :rolleyes: :lol: ;) :cool: :headbang: :hotjump:

Ahem, I'm sorry, but I talk alot.

To be honest I don't really follow concepts in albums anymore, I just listen to the music - especially if there isn't an obvious story there.

Q2K is an great album. I don't compare it to their 80s stuff, because I'm not into that stuff anymore, but I love Q2K quite a bit. Songs like "Beside You", "Liquid Sky" and "The Right Side of My Mind" are awesome... in fact, they all are! I didn't like it at first, and left it sitting there for quite a few months, but went back to it after hearing a few tracks from it on "Live Evolution" and liked them so much I checked out the album again. Glad I did now!

I don't know if someone who only owns four Queensryche CDs can be called a fanatic, Spawn, but thankyou anyway :headbang:

Just my two cents She-Wolf, but stay away from Live Evolution. Things are in a sorry state indeed when I can do a better job of hitting the high notes than Geoff!

Duellist: Thanks for the tip about LiveCrime. I'll go and hassle the store where I've had it on order for the last four months and see what excuse they come up with this time :mad:

Koichi: The only Devin Townsend-related album I own is a tape copy of "Sex and Religion" by Steve Vai. Not bad, but it doesn't do much for me.

W

It was a reflex :lol:. I hyphenate every word that calls for it, along with correcting people's split infinitives and outlawing the use of adverbs- a sure sign of linguistic laziness!

I am a good speller I am. G-U-N P-O-W-D-E-R = Tobacco :)

But Henry, Father's Day...

W