QUEENSRYCHE "AMERICAN SOLDIER"....

GZ, you broke off your 40 day fasting from outside music to embrace a list of 2008 standouts...
LOL. As of this morning, I've officially abandoned that endeavor.

...further you broke your TEN year abstainence from Queensryce's music to review a recent release by the epic band...
Actually... I bought Tribe.

...maybe just maybe, we can lead you FROM a Lifelong ban from Jesus as the Christ...=)...
Quite honestly, atheism is not a religious position for me. If the evidence was ever to suggest something to the contrary, I'd be open to it.

btw eager to hear what your input is on "American Soldier"...
I'll queue it up later today.

Zod

I guess the point I was trying to make was that it seems like people expect a band to reproduce their "original" sound on modern releases, and if they've changed direction over time, then their material must suck.

If that were true, then I wouldn't like most of what I like. Marillion for the biggest example. Plenty of people who aren't digging this or some of the more recent material do like Promised Land, HitNF, even Q2K, none of which can possibly be considered Queensryche's "original" sound. Hell, not even RFO can if you want to get right down to it. Very few people commenting on this are saying "damn, I wish they'd just release another RFO/OM/Warning" by any stretch. So the argument doesn't hold water.

I like change, I hate change that sucks. Period.

It just seems that this old argument is trotted out with no real basis in reality. It's much the same as "well, if you don't like <this band>, you must just not *get* it." It gets very old and I get tired of it.

My favorite albums by the band have always been "Rage For Order" "Operation Mindcrime" and "Empire". However, "American Soldier" isn't that bad in my opinion (I couldn't stand some of their other more recent releases). Just because it doesn't sound like their original sound doesn't make it a bad album.

I agree 100%. Because it sucks is what makes it a bad album.

It's all opinion.

I spent way too long pondering if 'it sucks' is ever factual, or always an opinion. And if saying 'it sucks' is a more arrogant statement than 'its brilliant'. Both statements I've made.

So I've now listened to this twice. And it seems that as with most things, the truth about Queensrÿche's latest effort, lies somewhere in the middle. This disc is neither awful, nor worthy of purchase. Truth be told, it's probably more worthy of purchase than criticism. The reality is, this band will forever be both haunted by and the beneficiary of, their glorious past. It's simply impossible to listen to a new Queensrÿche release devoid of context.

In the plus column, Geoff's vocals are strong and passionate, the music and lyrics mostly feel inspired, and the music is solid. If I had to compare this disc to a prior Queensrÿche release, it would be Promised Land. The pacing, layering and production are almost eerily similar. In the minus column are the overly prominent Pop sensibilities, the endless soldier voice-overs and the lack of aggression. In all fairness, the former and latter complaints speak more to what I want Queensrÿche to be, and not really to a flaw intrinsic to the music. The truth is, Queensrÿche hasn't been a Metal band, arguably, since Operation: Mindcrime. However, to their credit, there are aspects of this disc that feel more progressive, than much of what gets dubbed Prog around these parts.

Without question, the disc's worst moments occur during "Home Again". It's here that Emily Tate, Geoff's ten year old daughter, does a duet with dear old Dad. The song is just awful. And the idea of featuring the voice of a ten year old in a duet, is something even the Manowar guys would find absurdly cheesy.

All in all, this may be the best thing they've done since Promised Land. Unfortunately, that's sort of like saying Jessica is the more talented of the Simpson sisters.

Zod

I kind of thought you might go down the middle on this one .. although I expected you might pan it a bit more. I honestly didn't expect a full hit piece from you.

Bottom line ... do you feel compelled to listen to it a 3rd time? If you do I'd say you have to give it a thumbs up ... if it could easily get placed on the shelf never to be heard from again you'd have to grade it thumbs down. Personally I'd go thumbs down .. I listened twice .. found nothing memorable, and probably will never spin it again.

Did you find any standout songs? I did not. I though it was just a bunch of songs that kind of ran together. I did think the first half was much better than the second half, but more often than not Queensryche found a way to ruin potentially decent tracks.

By the way ... Mindcrime 2 is much better than this in my opinion. I know you have no plans in ever listening to it though .. ever.

Britt

I kind of thought you might go down the middle on this one .. although I expected you might pan it a bit more. I honestly didn't expect a full hit piece from you.
Yep... you probably have as good a read on my tastes as anyone.

Bottom line ... do you feel compelled to listen to it a 3rd time? If you do I'd say you have to give it a thumbs up ... if it could easily get placed on the shelf never to be heard from again you'd have to grade it thumbs down. Personally I'd go thumbs down .. I listened twice .. found nothing memorable, and probably will never spin it again.
I'd say that's a fair way of judging it. I am curious to give it a spin on headphones. As I said, there seems to be a fair amount of layering within the production. If after that listen, I feel compelled to go back for a fourth listen, I'll buy it. If not, than I'd agree, it's a dust collector.

Did you find any standout songs? I did not. I though it was just a bunch of songs that kind of ran together. I did think the first half was much better than the second half, but more often than not Queensryche found a way to ruin potentially decent tracks.
I'm not sure I find elements that ruin songs. As I said, the soldier voice overs are a bit much and the daughter duet thing is a complete train wreck. But overall, I don't find little things creeping into songs (and ruining them) that I would have otherwise enjoyed. As for standout tracks, I'm bad with track titles. But there were moments I enjoyed, and I thought the overall vibe of the disc was a nice change of pace and somewhat unique.

By the way ... Mindcrime 2 is much better than this in my opinion. I know you have no plans in ever listening to it though .. ever.
Nope... never. :puke:

Greg

I think they ruined "Sliver" (first track) with that shouty stuff like .. Welcome To The Show .. bit. I think the second track was ruined because of spoken word soldier stuff intermixed during the song. That one song you mentioned was ruined by a 10 year old, etc.

Britt

I think they ruined "Sliver" (first track) with that shouty stuff like .. Welcome To The Show .. bit. I think the second track was ruined because of spoken word soldier stuff intermixed during the song. That one song you mentioned was ruined by a 10 year old, etc.
That shouting didn't distract me during the first song. Though it probably will now. Thanks. :loco:

Greg

<snip>

I like change, I hate change that sucks. Period.

<snip>

So, getting off topic for a sec, I'd be curious to know your opinion (and anyone else's) on the new Facebook layout since FB was mentioned here.

Oh, and I used to post on RMAQ occasionally back in the day - I can't remember if I used this handle then though - that was ages ago. :lol:

We can now resume our original bashing, er, I mean programming.

So, getting off topic for a sec, I'd be curious to know your opinion (and anyone else's) on the new Facebook layout since FB was mentioned here.

Eh, I'm not hating it like some people, but I'm not crazy about it either. Part of that is because I had gotten used to the old layout, so I try to discount that part of it, but some of it is that some things just aren't as good. It's hard to find things sometimes, and it seems that you can't remove something without removing all things from that person. That's probably my biggest gripe.

As long as I can play Packrat and be a voyeur, I'm a happy Facebooker! :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Invisible Guest

Nope... never.

Greg

As a QR fan I think the only 2 discs I can't stand (original music) are Q2K and Tribe..

OM II was pretty good - I really liked it... Got to see both performed live.. And there are memorable tunes on it... If ya gave 'American Solider' a try, why not OM II... It's a definite improvement after listening to AS.. (not that I think you'll be convinced to do so by this but I had to take a shot :cool:)

And as far as Facebook - as soon as I get use to what they did after the last 'revamp' they 'revamp' again.. it's starting to piss me off...

Oh, and I used to post on RMAQ occasionally back in the day - I can't remember if I used this handle then though - that was ages ago. :lol:

We can now resume our original bashing, er, I mean programming.
No kidding ... I was GRBAYPACK, and then Go Pack a little later on.

Britt

Eh, I'm not hating it like some people, but I'm not crazy about it either. Part of that is because I had gotten used to the old layout, so I try to discount that part of it, but some of it is that some things just aren't as good. It's hard to find things sometimes, and it seems that you can't remove something without removing all things from that person. That's probably my biggest gripe.

As long as I can play Packrat and be a voyeur, I'm a happy Facebooker! :lol:

I gave it a 3rd listen after Greg gave it a half way positive review. I don't like the disc ... it's too slow, and has little in the way of catchiness, but there are some interesting moments. My favorite track is easily At 30,000 Feet.

I'm not much of a pothead, but I bet if I was this disc would be the shit. There is some atmosphere to be found ... too bad it just doesn't rock out enough.

Britt

OM II was pretty good - I really liked it... Got to see both performed live.. And there are memorable tunes on it... If ya gave 'American Solider' a try, why not OM II... It's a definite improvement after listening to AS.. (not that I think you'll be convinced to do so by this but I had to take a shot :cool:)
The very idea of Operation: Mindcrime II is anathema.
And as far as Facebook - as soon as I get use to what they did after the last 'revamp' they 'revamp' again.. it's starting to piss me off...
I hate it. Not sure why they felt the need to mess with it.

Greg

There's a third sister? I only know of Lisa and Maggie.

:lol: :lol: Thanks for posting the same thing I thought of yesterday when I read that. :)

Not a fan of the new layout...of course, Facebook itself has some significant organization and clutter problems.

The incessant app notifications and -- the Big Thing right now -- all the "5 whatevers I love" posts clog up the Live Feed, making it next to impossible for me to see back more than a few hours. Frankly, it's far easier to 'keep up' with friends right now on MySpace. (!)

I heard this album in it's entirety yesterday and man am i dissapointed. But not really as i wasn't expecting much from them anymore, kinda sad.