QUEENSRYCHE "AMERICAN SOLDIER"....

Re: The album, Yuck, yuck and yuck. This band lost melody 15 years ago. From a fan since "Rage for Order" : What the hell happened?

Shut up Jeroen !!! (Is my spelling right?)

Actually, I think it was "STFUJ". :p (Yes, I think that's how you spell it.)

But you know, if it wasn't for Queensryche (and RMAQ of course) I wouldn't know most of ya, and I probably would never have heard of PP. I guess I don't care how bad any of their albums get, I will probably still break out RFO and play air drums in my car regularly until the day I die. I'd cry if someone told me I could never hear that album again.

Shaye

Sumeet, "worshiped" is a figure of speech. I didn't literally worship :worship: the band...sheeze. Trust me, I know who my creator and God is. By the way, I've always disagreed with QR's political views, but looked past that until they began releasing garbage. Regardless, why do you care how I manage my music collection? :)
internet-serious-business.jpg

Sumeet, "worshiped" is a figure of speech. I didn't literally worship :worship: the band...sheeze. Trust me, I know who my creator and God is. By the way, I've always disagreed with QR's political views, but looked past that until they began releasing garbage. Regardless, why do you care how I manage my music collection? :)

I know who MY Kreator is... :|

Don't make me revoke my swimmin' pool invite, Bear!!! ;) I for one don't want OM or RFO again--I love Promised Land and even like quite a few songs on HitNF. The albums since are just plain crap IMO.

I first noticed the scary QR sheeple back about 10 years ago on their message board, back before they locked out anyone who didn't blow sunshine up their collective ass constantly. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anyone who posts here who was on RMAQ back then, but let's just say the band and the fanclub made it very clear they would tolerate NO criticism whatsoever on any forum. FTFC indeed. THOSE people are their fans these days.

That said, I will go see them in concert anytime. They still put on a good live show and keep the "newer" songs down to a relative minimum. And hello--they did FIVE songs from RFO at the show here back in '05, I think it was. Damn, did that rock my world!

who has the old FTFC diagram?

Come to think of it.... I suppose that is very true.... from both of our respective perspectives (Hmmm say those two words three times fast.... anyway.....) I would say life would probably be quite different without RMAQ.... and RMAQ would not exist without the band. That is actually odd to think about.

Bryant

Actually, I think it was "STFUJ". :p (Yes, I think that's how you spell it.)

But you know, if it wasn't for Queensryche (and RMAQ of course) I wouldn't know most of ya, and I probably would never have heard of PP. I guess I don't care how bad any of their albums get, I will probably still break out RFO and play air drums in my car regularly until the day I die. I'd cry if someone told me I could never hear that album again.

Shaye

RMAQ was the originating spot for a pretty large group of metal friends. We've been to Prog Power's together ... BWBK's together ... weddings ... and some of us have even been to Europe together. Pretty wild when you think about it.

Britt

PS .. Bryant, send me a PM with your current email addy.

I downloaded this one last night. I figured it would be a tough listen, and it was. There's no real redeeming qualities to this disc ... it doesn't rock, Geoff's singing is not good, the songs are not catchy, etc. Do yourselves a favor and don't waste a dime on this.

Britt

I was wondering about this album... but instead of d/l it off of Amazon.com I opted for some oldies but goodies that I knew for sure I would enjoy... Europe! I totally forgot how much I used to like this band as a teenager... can anyone say "rock now, rock the night!" :D

Umm, same here, but I didn't dump my old CDs. In fact, somewhere buried in my cassette-tape storage boxes is the original Operation:Mindcrime cassette I won from 96Rock. It was a "pick any tape you want" promotion at a store, and a friend of mine from Washington state had been waxing poetic about this great 'local' band called Queensryche, so I took the plunge.

On the way home, I was in so much awe that I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped the car so I could listen to the entire album clearly.
That moment changed my life.
I'd sooner have my eyes gouged out with a melon-baller than throw away those old QR CDs. :heh:

Ironically, an almost identical thing happened -- even down to getting the cassette for free from 96Rock -- when I first obtained DT's Images and Words. :cool:

I was there, sitting just to the left of the soundboard. Amazing, amazing show. :headbang:

Thats so weird hearing that. I had the EXACT same experience of pulling over to the side of the road, in shock, to listen to the rest of Images and Words (Mindcrime was just as profound, I wasn't driving yet then though).

who has the old FTFC diagram?

Now i'm going to have to see if I can dig that up. :heh:

RMAQ was the originating spot for a pretty large group of metal friends. We've been to Prog Power's together ... BWBK's together ... weddings ... and some of us have even been to Europe together. Pretty wild when you think about it.

Wow, it sounds even... heavier when you put it that way! Be on the lookout for an e-mail or call from me, btw. :)

Shaye

Definitely one of the best concerts of all time for me as well....Building Empires was the name of the tour :)

Bear

Yep, saw that one twice…in Lexington and Nashville. Definitely in my top concert experiences of all time!

It was a "pick any tape you want" promotion at a store, and a friend of mine from Washington state had been waxing poetic about this great 'local' band called Queensryche, so I took the plunge.

I lived in Seattle for a year in 1985-6. Every time I went out wearing a Queensryche shirt, some one always stopped me to say something like, “Hey! My best friend’s brother’s next-door-neighbor’s second cousin knows one of the guys in Queensryche!” Yeah, the Seattle folks had just a little pride in their hometown boys. :)

I will probably pick up “American Soldier” – even though I have been hugely disappointed with their last few releases. Hope springs eternal. I'm still debating, though, whether or not to buy tickets for their performance in Phoenix in a couple of months.

I probably will still see the band when they come to Clearwater in May. They do put on a good show. I also saw them on the Empire tour. That was a good concert. Not my favorite by them though. When they did Mindcrime again 3 or 4 years ago was my favorite concert by them. Tate was in great voice that night. He sounded better than he did on the Empire concert. I liked the whole production of the show. Especially when they put Tate in a strait jacket and he was still singing well.

Nothing has really blown me away by them for a long time. I hated Tribe and HITNF. Mindcrime 2 wasn't bad. I actually liked Q2K.

I do think it is a bit extreme to throw away CDs of bands that you don't like anymore. After listening to Tribe, I just wanted to throw that CD across the room and not throw away Mindcrime or Rage. Same with Angry Machines with Dio. Or listening to the muddy production of Maiden's last few albums. Martin Birch would have never had you have to strain to hear Bruce's voice. Ridiculous. But back to Ryche, I will probably still buy the new CD when it comes out to judge for myself.

I totally know I'm going to be in the minority here, but I like the record. I don't LOVE it, but it's ok. Probably their best effort since PL. But, I also liked the first half of Mindcrime II. If only they could have put together a whole record there. It has about 6 really good songs.

I am giving American Soldier my first listen right now. I like it. I'll probably check them out on this tour, as they are supposed to be playing a lot of RFO and Empire tunes.

It's funny, what with you guys talking about RMAQ on here and all, that I got nostalgic about the RMAQ days today whilst drinking coffee and procrastinating (holy crap, that's the exact state in which almost all my RMAQ posts were made way back when at uni!) over an article I'm writing. And I started a Facebook group entitled 'I Used to Post at rec.music.artists.queensryche (RMAQ)'. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?sid=078ad0e312150b9c9b7787e3865643d0&gid=63823502162

I'm kind of hoping James Earl Jones was right in that indecipherable movie about some weird American variation on cricket, presuming former RMAQers have Facebook accounts. Presently it's just me and Shaye on there, but if you used to post on RMAQ, feel free to join!

Serious discussion about Queensryche is, of course, actively discouraged, just like on the RMAQ back in its heyday. ;P

As always, I remain...
Spawn.

Edit: By the way, I listened to one of the songs off the new Queensryche album (something about being King, but unfortunately it wasn't a ManowaR cover) and couldn't make it all the way through it. I didn't mind Operation: Mindcrime II and even enjoyed Take Cover (Tribe almost made me projectile vomit, though), but I don't think I'll be purchasing this little stinker.

Hey Shawn .. how goes it? I haven't bothered to get a Facebook page yet ... might not bother since I've pretty much grown tired and annoyed of the Myspace type thing.

By the way check your PM's.

Britt