QUEENSRYCHE "AMERICAN SOLDIER"....

I've accepted that the good ol' Ryche days have long passed ... I'd settle for solid tunes that are half way memorable. Unfortunately I didn't hear anything memorable on the new one.

I think Q2K is much better ... at least they actually attempted to rock out on that disc. As bad as it is I'd take it any day over this new one. I don't know what they are trying to do on American Soldier ... it's mainly slow paced and boring. There is no real catchiness to speak of.

Britt

This is pretty ridiculous. If you like an album you heard in 1986 or 1988, why would disliking that band's 2006 or 2009 release make you like the earlier album any less?
Yeah .. it's an odd view for sure. Heck, I've passed up purchasing the last several from Queensryche, but just because they suck now doesn't mean I need to get rid of the classics like Mindcrime, Warning, Rage, etc. I guess I don't take it personally that Queensryche has become a sucky band.

Britt

Don't make me revoke my swimmin' pool invite, Bear!!! ;) I for one don't want OM or RFO again--I love Promised Land and even like quite a few songs on HitNF. The albums since are just plain crap IMO.

I first noticed the scary QR sheeple back about 10 years ago on their message board, back before they locked out anyone who didn't blow sunshine up their collective ass constantly. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anyone who posts here who was on RMAQ back then, but let's just say the band and the fanclub made it very clear they would tolerate NO criticism whatsoever on any forum. FTFC indeed. THOSE people are their fans these days.

That said, I will go see them in concert anytime. They still put on a good live show and keep the "newer" songs down to a relative minimum. And hello--they did FIVE songs from RFO at the show here back in '05, I think it was. Damn, did that rock my world!

Fatesfan and I ran into this talking with fans at a Symphony X/Queensryche show back in 2003, I believe. The people that we talked with had no unearthly idea who Symphony X was, yet they were there to see QR spew out the junk from Tribe.

Ran into the same when DT & QR co-headlined their tour. DT came on first & l was headbangin' & singin' and a chick next to me with her QR t on said..."your obviously really like this band...who are they? I said..."huh? This band owns the progressive metal genre. She said..."what's progressive metal?" /end conversation.

This is pretty ridiculous. If you like an album you heard in 1986 or 1988, why would disliking that band's 2006 or 2009 release make you like the earlier album any less?

Yeah...kinda strange. OMI is a classic...QR took ownership of the way a concept album should be done with it.

Yeah .. it's an odd view for sure. Heck, I've passed up purchasing the last several from Queensryche, but just because they suck now doesn't mean I need to get rid of the classics like Mindcrime, Warning, Rage, etc. I guess I don't take it personally that Queensryche has become a sucky band.

Britt

Yeah...kinda strange. OMI is a classic...QR took ownership of the way a concept album should be done with it.

Well, I admit to going to extremes at times. With that said, I worshiped this band back in the day. Their recent output just totally ruined them for me, bottom line. Most veteran bands don't put out great releases once they pass their prime i.e. King Diamond, Dio, and Judas Priest. With that said, at least those bands aren't putting out the likes of HITNF, Q2K, Tribe, and that stupid covers album that they recorded. :rolleyes:

~Brian~

Well, I admit to going to extremes at times. With that said, I worshiped this band back in the day. Their recent output just totally ruined them for me, bottom line. Most veteran bands don't put out great releases once they pass their prime i.e. King Diamond, Dio, and Judas Priest. With that said, at least those bands aren't putting out the likes of HITNF, Q2K, Tribe, and that stupid covers album that they recorded. :rolleyes:

~Brian~

If you yourself admit you're going to extremes, wouldn't that realization make you change your actions? I think Britt had it right... some people take it as a personal affront when they don't happen to like a band's latest album. When you "worship" a band (or anything, for that matter), you're inevitably going to be disappointed when you find out it's not some unearthly, supernatural being; it's just some guys playing some music. I never understood being into a piece of music for anything other than the music itself. Whether I like the band members, their image, their political views, or various other pieces of music they've made... I just don't see how that enters into it.

Oddly enough, this band still has a very loyal fanbase, but it isn't any of us!

That's not quite true.

Reading this thread, now I remember why I learned long ago not to read the Queensryche threads on the PP forums anymore (or did I? why am I reading this?). Ditto on the Sonata threads (better throw the Serenity threads in there, I guess).

The "I don't like the new direction and you're clueless if you do" attitude prevalent around here is lame. Just my opinion, not popular here, I'm sure. But it seems like a lot of typing time expended on bands that everyone seems to hate now. I've never understood people's online fascination with spending more time talking about bands they hate than bands they like. Waste of your time, no?

Hmm, not really. There's a certain fascination inherent in watching a once-mighty band implode, especially with fans who, like me, "grew up" with QR in the metal scene. They were the band who got me firmly into "real" metal to stay.

I promise that we won't play anything after Promised Land for Mid Week Mayhem :)

So let it be written, so let it be done.

So Say We All. :heh:

That's not quite true.

Reading this thread, now I remember why I learned long ago not to read the Queensryche threads on the PP forums anymore (or did I? why am I reading this?). Ditto on the Sonata threads (better throw the Serenity threads in there, I guess).

The "I don't like the new direction and you're clueless if you do" attitude prevalent around here is lame. Just my opinion, not popular here, I'm sure. But it seems like a lot of typing time expended on bands that everyone seems to hate now. I've never understood people's online fascination with spending more time talking about bands they hate than bands they like. Waste of your time, no?

Yep. And people like to boast about how much they have given up on a band, yet find the need to post in a thread to degrade the band, including degrading albums they haven't heard yet.

Haven't heard American Soldier yet but I don't feel QR ever released a bad album of original material. Now, on to the Testament fanboys reaction...

I'm actually one who liked Tribe a good bit (actually listened to it again yesterday) and Mindcrime II had its moments. I guess once you accept that they aren't ever going to be the band they used to be, it is easier to accept what is out there for what it is.

That being said, the one track I heard from "American Soldier" was crap, so I don't know what to think of the new album yet.

Don't make me revoke my swimmin' pool invite, Bear!!! ;) I for one don't want OM or RFO again--I love Promised Land and even like quite a few songs on HitNF. The albums since are just plain crap IMO.

That said, I will go see them in concert anytime. They still put on a good live show and keep the "newer" songs down to a relative minimum. And hello--they did FIVE songs from RFO at the show here back in '05, I think it was. Damn, did that rock my world!

Come May it will be my 20th or 21st time seeing the Ryche, they always put on a great show. For the record Tate plays the Sax live but they definitely use backing tracks on alot of material, as do most of today's acts...

Bear

If you yourself admit you're going to extremes, wouldn't that realization make you change your actions? I think Britt had it right... some people take it as a personal affront when they don't happen to like a band's latest album. When you "worship" a band (or anything, for that matter), you're inevitably going to be disappointed when you find out it's not some unearthly, supernatural being; it's just some guys playing some music. I never understood being into a piece of music for anything other than the music itself. Whether I like the band members, their image, their political views, or various other pieces of music they've made... I just don't see how that enters into it.

Sumeet, "worshiped" is a figure of speech. I didn't literally worship :worship: the band...sheeze. Trust me, I know who my creator and God is. By the way, I've always disagreed with QR's political views, but looked past that until they began releasing garbage. Regardless, why do you care how I manage my music collection? :)

That's not quite true.

Well, this is a music forum, so we're going to discuss the positive and the negative of music.

Yep. And people like to boast about how much they have given up on a band, yet find the need to post in a thread to degrade the band, including degrading albums they haven't heard yet.

Cheiron, I'm sensing a bit of irritation here. If you like the band, then great.

Haven't heard American Soldier yet but I don't feel QR ever released a bad album of original material. Now, on to the Testament fanboys reaction...

Tenth Dreamer, you know that Testament rules! :p

You even returned the band's earlier stuff? The CDs you liked?

Sure did. It's like Paul said above, the band imploded and so did my love for them.

~Brian~