QUEENSRYCHE "AMERICAN SOLDIER"....

Sure did. It's like Paul said above, the band imploded and so did my love for them.

See, I find that behavior odd. If I loved the music, that doesn't change even if they do. Maybe my interest fades a bit, but never enough that I feel the need to get rid of all the band's material. If I ever went that far, it probably would be because I never liked the band as much as I thought I did.

Caveat - They put on a good live show, as long as you understand that Tate can no longer hit the notes he used to hit.
So... if you go into the show accepting that the singer operates at 50% of his former greatness, the guitar work is no where near what it once was, that the energy level has diminished with age, and that you now have to sit through some of the goat awful new material... it's a good live show? Gotcha.

Zod

I was thoroughly entertained when I saw them in '07 (I think that was when it was). But I never saw them in their 'glory' days. During those days I used to laugh when I'd see the name... on patches... next to Slayer, and other metal bands at this store near Navy Pier in Chicago. I had no clue who they were. It wasn't until a few years ago that I ever really listened to them. If only I had known people who were into metal back in the teenage years...

I was thoroughly entertained when I saw them in '07 (I think that was when it was). But I never saw them in their 'glory' days. During those days I used to laugh when I'd see the name... on patches... next to Slayer, and other metal bands at this store near Navy Pier in Chicago. I had no clue who they were. It wasn't until a few years ago that I ever really listened to them. If only I had known people who were into metal back in the teenage years...
They're not bad now... but they're a shell of their former selves. I was lucky enough to see them headline a sold out 16,000 seat arena on the Empire tour, the first time they did a full blown Mindcrime production. That was a Top 5 show for me. I feel pretty fortunate I was able to catch it.

Zod

They're not bad now... but they're a shell of their former selves. I was lucky enough to see them headline a sold out 16,000 seat arena on the Empire tour, the first time they did a full blown Mindcrime production. That was a Top 5 show for me. I feel pretty fortunate I was able to catch it.

Zod

Definitely one of the best concerts of all time for me as well....Building Empires was the name of the tour :)

Bear

Caveat - They put on a good live show, as long as you understand that Tate can no longer hit the notes he used to hit.

I think he still sounds great live most of the time. True, I have only heard him hit "The Note" once in the past 15 years, but I honestly prefer his later singing to the earlier, higher stuff anyway.

Shaye

Shaye, have you heard the new album? If not, I think you'll enjoy it. He sings with a lot of passion/emotion, and uses that low voice to a great effect. Its not a catchy album at all. No eyes of a stranger here. Its more of an experience.

See, I find that behavior odd. If I loved the music, that doesn't change even if they do. Maybe my interest fades a bit, but never enough that I feel the need to get rid of all the band's material. If I ever went that far, it probably would be because I never liked the band as much as I thought I did.

That's fine if you think my behavior is odd. With that said, after five albums of Geoff Tate trying to cram a simplistic, modern sound down my throat, I grew tired of supporting the band. The funny part about all that is, he markets their sound as a "progression" from where they were. I actually read one time, during the release of Tribe, that it was the new Operation Mindcrime. Of course, that was before they cashed in using the OMII moniker. If that sort of behavior doesn't turn you against a band, then you're a better person than I am. :kickass:

~Brian~

Another band that has simply lost it long ago. I had hoped when I heard OMII was coming out a few years ago that there might be a bit of a return to form, but alas, it's not to be, they are simply done cooking. This new album is complete junk, they are now Queensryche in name only, nothing more. Too bad, considering Operation Mindcrime still sits in my top 10 albums of all time.

Shaye, have you heard the new album? If not, I think you'll enjoy it. He sings with a lot of passion/emotion, and uses that low voice to a great effect. Its not a catchy album at all. No eyes of a stranger here. Its more of an experience.

I don't know about that; I really dig catchy. :/ The voice may be good still, but the songwriting has just gone to shite in the last decade or so.

I'm sure I will wind up giving it a listen or two, but quite frankly, there are other bands out there that do it for me these days.

I think the only person I've ever heard hit "the note" live, was Nils during the All-Star Jam.

He hit it once a few years ago when I saw them. In fact, he'd never even tried it any other time I saw them (except maybe '89, but I don't remember if they even played THotF). Then again, I'm tone-deaf according to some people, so...??? :p

Definitely one of the best concerts of all time for me as well....Building Empires was the name of the tour :)

Bear

Yep... I'm sure most of old schoolers were at the tour. :headbang:

Zod

Saw that tour at ye olde Omni in Atlanta...you had to be there. For OMI, I saw them open for Def Leppard in the round at the Omni. What a weird combo that was...but I was glad I didn't miss it.

<~~ One of the privelaged to have seen the Building Empires tour... Holy mother of God was that amazing... Still the best damn concert I've ever been to...

I haven't heard the whole AS disc but I did hear 'If I were King'... :ill: I so was hoping for good.. good listenable tune and it just made me go 'dammit, WTF' :erk:

Sure did. It's like Paul said above, the band imploded and so did my love for them.

Umm, same here, but I didn't dump my old CDs. In fact, somewhere buried in my cassette-tape storage boxes is the original Operation:Mindcrime cassette I won from 96Rock. It was a "pick any tape you want" promotion at a store, and a friend of mine from Washington state had been waxing poetic about this great 'local' band called Queensryche, so I took the plunge.

On the way home, I was in so much awe that I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped the car so I could listen to the entire album clearly.
That moment changed my life.
I'd sooner have my eyes gouged out with a melon-baller than throw away those old QR CDs. :heh:

Ironically, an almost identical thing happened -- even down to getting the cassette for free from 96Rock -- when I first obtained DT's Images and Words. :cool:

Saw that tour at ye olde Omni in Atlanta...you had to be there.

I was there, sitting just to the left of the soundboard. Amazing, amazing show. :headbang:

He hit it once a few years ago when I saw them. In fact, he'd never even tried it any other time I saw them (except maybe '89, but I don't remember if they even played THotF). Then again, I'm tone-deaf according to some people, so...??? :p
They definitely do THotF on the Building Empires tour when I saw them. I saw them perform it when they were on one of their many "greatest hits" tours. He didn't even try for it.

Zod

They definitely do THotF on the Building Empires tour when I saw them. I saw them perform it when they were on one of their many "greatest hits" tours. He didn't even try for it.

Believe it or not, I missed that tour, thanks to a royal screw-up on the part of Ticketmaster that I'm still bitter about 17 years later. (We had something like 10th-row tix and 5th-row Clash of the Titans tickets that same summer. They just cancelled the tickets for no apparent reason and by the time we found out, they claimed they couldn't get anything other than obstructed view for Queensrÿche, and we wound up in the first section off the floor for CotT.)

Shaye

Believe it or not, I missed that tour, thanks to a royal screw-up on the part of Ticketmaster that I'm still bitter about 17 years later. (We had something like 10th-row tix and 5th-row Clash of the Titans tickets that same summer. They just cancelled the tickets for no apparent reason and by the time we found out, they claimed they couldn't get anything other than obstructed view for Queensrÿche, and we wound up in the first section off the floor for CotT.)

Shaye

Shaye, it sounds like you've been to some great shows! I still hate that I missed that Clash of the Titans Tour. :erk:

~Brian~

Ha ha ha..... that was amazing !!! I am definitely interested in hearing him do more QR.

I think the only person I've ever heard hit "the note" live, was Nils during the All-Star Jam.

Zod

I will check out some song samples, but PL was the last QR release I really cared for.

It's been over for 15 years... they simply keep adding nails to the coffin.

Zod

Shut up Jeroen !!! (Is my spelling right?)

Bryant

I first noticed the scary QR sheeple back about 10 years ago on their message board, back before they locked out anyone who didn't blow sunshine up their collective ass constantly. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anyone who posts here who was on RMAQ back then, but let's just say the band and the fanclub made it very clear they would tolerate NO criticism whatsoever on any forum. FTFC indeed. THOSE people are their fans these days.