Question about 5150+Mesa cab

tgs

Elder
So...today I started tracking guitars for a french band I have in the studio. I ran several tests before figuring out that 5150+Mesa cab was the combination I liked best, so that's what we're using.

However, I noticed that it sounds pretty weird in the low mid region. I've had to cut probably 8-9dB at around 6-700Hz with a narrow Q. It it especially noticable when the pick hits the strings. I also had to put the mid on the amp at around 2 to get rid of as much of the disturbance as possible.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had the same experience with this setup. I first thought it might be the room, but I ran a test with the cab in another room, same problem. Also tried another speaker. Same thing. Having the mid cut like this sounds good though, but I am surprised that such a good setup can yield such an annoying result!

Not to state the obvious but have you checked you mic placment....for that matter

What kind of guitar?
Pickups?
Mics?
Mic Placement?

Lots of variables there....

However, I noticed that it sounds pretty weird in the low mid region. I've had to cut probably 8-9dB at around 6-700Hz with a narrow Q. It it especially noticable when the pick hits the strings. I also had to put the mid on the amp at around 2 to get rid of as much of the disturbance as possible.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had the same experience with this setup. I first thought it might be the room, but I ran a test with the cab in another room, same problem. Also tried another speaker. Same thing. Having the mid cut like this sounds good though, but I am surprised that such a good setup can yield such an annoying result!
Judging from your second paragraph, the problem is already in the amp/cab itself, not something that comes during recording, suggesting it might be a problem in the gear itself.

Has the tubes been replaced with new ones? Have you tried other cabs? Any effects running with the amp?

The band is called Merrimack, a black metal band.

The problem occured with two different guitars with different pickups. As far as I can figure out, the cab is mostly to blame, since I had some annoying sound also when I tried with an Engl Fireball. Of course, I'm well aware of that different cabs of the same model can sound different, but I tried micing the different speakers with the same result.

I've put the mic at the center of the cone. I've tried other positions but that seem to mostly affect the high range. Might be the mic, but I doubt it... But I'm sure some others here are using the same setup. Have you had the same experience?