question about mics...?? (advice, actually)

AudioPhile777

Mathew Cohen
I'm looking around for some decent mics to use as overheads (cause MXL isnt doing it for me anymore)... and on vocals... I'm looking at a couple different mics...

I'm looking at something like a 3035, 4040 or Cascade DR-2...

I know there is a price difference between the 3, but that doesn't matter... and the fact that I know ribbons tend to send warmer(?)...

I never heard of the Cascade mics... the ones I'm looking at have a decent freq response...

drs-freq.jpg

any opinions?

Cascade are generally re-branded Ningbo Alctron ribbons. You can get these for much cheaper if you look carefully. A lot of brands offer these ribbons.

Ribbons do make good close cymbal mics from what I heard.

Cascade are generally re-branded Ningbo Alctron ribbons. You can get these for much cheaper if you look carefully. A lot of brands offer these ribbons.

Ribbons do make good close cymbal mics from what I heard.

In either case, am I better off staying with my MXL 990 mics for overheads, should I get some of these "cheap" ribbon mics, or should I just buy a couple at4040s?

I have a pair of 3035s that I use for overheads on drums and have used for vocals many times. I don't have any sound clips for you at the moment, but I've been very pleased with them as a stereo overhead pair for drums. Even with a kit with a large number of cymbals and no extra cymbal miking they work very well.

Used them on the 4x12 Mesa Recto cabinet and had great results, especially for solos.

They also work very well for "scream" style vocals, the only thing I've found I didn't like them on so far was smoother female vocals.

I'm sure there are "better" microphones out there, but these seem to be pretty well rounded for the price.

Ribbon mics are amazing, but you really need a good EQ to bring out the beautiful. They don't just sound warmer, they sound dark.

What is the more important application?

Overheads or Vocals

Also, how is your drum room? Any treatment? Dimensions? Ceiling?

If you want to use the mics for double duty as overheads and on vocals, I'd say get a pair of 4040's, and plan for a pair of SDC's down the road. Then you can move the 4040's out into the room.

When it comes to metal, I really don't want anything in the overheads except for cymbals and snare, which has led me to use SDCs over LDCs. But, I've had also good results using the Shure KSM32 (3/4" diaphragm). Other styles of music lend themselves to other styles of production.

All IMO and YMMV.

Well I think the 4040 makes a better vocal mic than drum overhead, but it certainly isn't bad at it, as these things go.

Cascade has a 30-day return policy, you know. You could get a pair and see how you like them.

Well I think the 4040 makes a better vocal mic than drum overhead, but it certainly isn't bad at it, as these things go.

Cascade has a 30-day return policy, you know. You could get a pair and see how you like them.

I have a problem with returning mics... good or bad, I just end up keeping them... I dont know why... :erk: hence the MXLs...

I can get the 4040s for like 3 x $133/month without interest... so I may get those first... worst case scenario, I have two decent vocal mics if the cascade sound nicer on overs...

Thanks dude.