Question about reamping quad tracks

nervirasme

Dismember
Nov 13, 2010
Cologne, Germany
www.behance.net
When reamping quad tracks, do you guys sum a pair of tracks on one side and send it to one amp, or does the each of the four tracks gets sent to its own amp...
Is there a general rule or is this a matter of preference?

Sorry if this is a noob question...
Thanks!

Hmm upon another read im not sure im following the question correctly, are you referring to blending 2 guitar heads or sending multiple DI's to one head at the same time or something??

On second reading I think he meant to ask whether people reamp each track individually, or sum for example both guitars that go left, and then reamp that?

Or maybe how I initially interpreted it, if you have four guitars (AB panned left, CD right), do you reamp it with A and C playing at the same time (one hard left, one hard right).

Now that I think more about how I interpreted it, I don't think that's really gonna work too well, since it's a stereo signal, right?

Or I'm just confused and confusing everyone else too :D

On second reading I think he meant to ask whether people reamp each track individually, or sum for example both guitars that go left, and then reamp that?

Or maybe how I initially interpreted it, if you have four guitars (AB panned left, CD right), do you reamp it with A and C playing at the same time (one hard left, one hard right).

Now that I think more about how I interpreted it, I don't think that's really gonna work too well, since it's a stereo signal, right?

Or I'm just confused and confusing everyone else too :D

The first example you posted was actually my question - do you send both left DIs into one amp, and same for the two DIs on the right side...

If you mean at the same time, as in two separate performances simultaneously, no no! It will not be the same as two performances reamped individually. If you want to save time, just move all tracks (that go to one amp) into one long track, and then record that. You can use time markers so you can easily move the reamped tracks back to correct offset.

So, for example a quad tracked project that is, say 3 minutes long, you have four guitars:

GTR1A panned 100 % L
GTR1B panned 75 % L
GTR2A panned 100 % R
GTR2B panned 75 % R

So to reamp them, create a track (say, GTR-Reamp) and place the above four tracks one after each other. Then you will have a track that goes on for 4*3 minutes = 12 minutes. Now, start reamping until all four separate tracks have been recorded (12 minutes).

If you want to use two different amps, instead of one 12 minute track, create two 6-minute tracks (2*3 minutes), and send both to different amps. But also, if you can separate them to different rooms, I don't see why you couldn't reamp two amps at the same time, cutting the reamping time to 6 minutes total. In that way, you send one reamp signal to amp1 in room1, and at the same time another reamp signal to amp2 in room2 :) I believe this is what you mean?

If you mean at the same time, as in two separate performances simultaneously, no no! It will not be the same as two performances reamped individually. If you want to save time, just move all tracks (that go to one amp) into one long track, and then record that. You can use time markers so you can easily move the reamped tracks back to correct offset.

So, for example a quad tracked project that is, say 3 minutes long, you have four guitars:

GTR1A panned 100 % L
GTR1B panned 75 % L
GTR2A panned 100 % R
GTR2B panned 75 % R

So to reamp them, create a track (say, GTR-Reamp) and place the above four tracks one after each other. Then you will have a track that goes on for 4*3 minutes = 12 minutes. Now, start reamping until all four separate tracks have been recorded (12 minutes).

If you want to use two different amps, instead of one 12 minute track, create two 6-minute tracks (2*3 minutes), and send both to different amps. But also, if you can separate them to different rooms, I don't see why you couldn't reamp two amps at the same time, cutting the reamping time to 6 minutes total. In that way, you send one reamp signal to amp1 in room1, and at the same time another reamp signal to amp2 in room2 :) I believe this is what you mean?

That's exactly what I wanted to know, and it's beautifully explained too! Thanks mate ;)
Thanks to ahjteam also!
...and rest of you guys...
...and mom and dad...
...God...

Might as well close the thread now... Not because I have the answer, but this thanking could get out of control soon.