Question about VOLBEAT.

Purveyor Of Evil

Heavy Metal, INC.
Mar 17, 2003
Hughestown, PA.
Visit site
I'm very anal when it comes to this matter. But...do VOLBEAT use guitar solos in their songs at all? I'm just a traditionalist and I strongly prefer solos in my metal. I won't hate on any band that doesn't. I just would rather solos be used. Thank you everyone for your help.

Nah .. not really .. they aren't into that. Here's something taken from a recent interview with Michael Poulson.

MR: Any reasons for not having guitar solos in the songs.

MP: I think it’s gay (Laughing)… I can’t stand that shit, more into theme pieces and that stuff. I never really “digged” guitar solos. I mean don’t get me wrong I love the solos that Iommi and Blackmore play. It’s like they tell a story each time. It’s not just shredding away. I don’t think it fits into Volbeat at all.

The full interview can be found here. http://www.metal-revolution.com/plugins/content/content.php?content.1126

Britt

Nah .. not really .. they aren't into that. Here's something taken from a recent interview with Michael Poulson.

MR: Any reasons for not having guitar solos in the songs.

MP: I think it’s gay (Laughing)… I can’t stand that shit, more into theme pieces and that stuff. I never really “digged” guitar solos. I mean don’t get me wrong I love the solos that Iommi and Blackmore play. It’s like they tell a story each time. It’s not just shredding away. I don’t think it fits into Volbeat at all.

The full interview can be found here. http://www.metal-revolution.com/plugins/content/content.php?content.1126

Britt
Thank you all for your replies! Right after I started this thread, I googled my question and found this exact interview. I kinda figured VOLBEAT was like THE CARBURETORS in that they used solos because TC uses them all of the time and I believed both bands would be quite similar musically. BTW, I'd kill to see TC at a future Progpower. If VOLBEAT can do it, then THE CARBURETORS would fill a spot just as perfectly. Thanx again to all of you!

I just bought both cd's. Fuckinay, what a bitch it was to get them and expensive, too. Oh well, Glenn has never let me down. I trust his pick of bands and I like what I've heard from VOLBEAT so far. So, I took the plunge. I still think THE CARBURETORS fucking rule, though!

Plus they probably can't play a solo that is worth listening to =p

They aren't what we'd call 'skilled musicians.' They are more like your average garage/punk band. And I love punk. But I'm not going to say that they are great guitar players (generally, some exceptions).

Overall, I like the band. I have to wonder how much the people here who love them ever dabbed into rockabilly punk/rock. I have, and its parly why I don't find them to be hugely original or amazing. I just find them to be a good, fun, band. I look forward to seeing them.

Thank you all for your replies! Right after I started this thread, I googled my question and found this exact interview. I kinda figured VOLBEAT was like THE CARBURETORS in that they used solos because TC uses them all of the time and I believed both bands would be quite similar musically. BTW, I'd kill to see TC at a future Progpower. If VOLBEAT can do it, then THE CARBURETORS would fill a spot just as perfectly. Thanx again to all of you!

Dude, could not agree more about the Carbs! I've been pimping this band for a couple of years now. I think they would be a great choice to open the fest on friday. Hey Glenn, you heard these guys?

The Carburetors - Alright, Alright

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope the lack of solos won't put people off Volbeat. Anyone who likes good riffs should love these guys. I have a feeling these guys are gonna come off heavy as hell live...there should be plenty of headbanging during their set. Just hope they play 'Mr & Mrs Ness'!:headbang:

The Whisper. Fuckinay, you rule! Love the video! THE CARBURETORS fucking rock big time and would absolutely destroy Progpower opening up the show on Friday. Just the perfect band to get the party mood in high gear. They are self professed "Fast Forward Rock N' Roll". Also, every song is this catchy and energetic on both albums. Please, Glenn, check TC out thoroughly. You won't be disappointed!

The Whisper. Fuckinay, you rule! Love the video! THE CARBURETORS fucking rock big time and would absolutely destroy Progpower opening up the show on Friday. Just the perfect band to get the party mood in high gear. They are self professed "Fast Forward Rock N' Roll". Also, every song is this catchy and energetic on both albums. Please, Glenn, check TC out thoroughly. You won't be disappointed!

I love their cover of Kiss' 'Getaway' it fuckin' kicks so much ass!

What people here don't realize about Volbeat is how huge they are in Europe for a band with like 2 albums. In fact, if this was ProgPower Europe or Scandinavia, they would probably be headlining the whole damn fest haha. They actually opened for Metallica in Denmark (playing OVER Mnemic, I might add) last year and have a huge following over there.

Will be interesting to see how they go over in the US. I personally love 'em.

Plus they probably can't play a solo that is worth listening to =p

They aren't what we'd call 'skilled musicians.' They are more like your average garage/punk band. And I love punk. But I'm not going to say that they are great guitar players (generally, some exceptions).

Actually, I've known Michael for a lot of years, and he is a very talented musician. He could definitely play some great solos if he wanted to. Also, Anders is a brilliant bass player. Don't underestimate them just because the music they write is "simple".

c.

What people here don't realize about Volbeat is how huge they are in Europe for a band with like 2 albums. In fact, if this was ProgPower Europe or Scandinavia, they would probably be headlining the whole damn fest haha. They actually opened for Metallica in Denmark (playing OVER Mnemic, I might add) last year and have a huge following over there.

Correct - we actually thought about having them for PP Scandinavia last year, and they would definitely have been the headliner. They can draw a crowd of 2000 people easily at their concerts here.

c.

Will be interesting to see how they go over in the US. I personally love 'em.

Actually a lot of people here realize this, as it has been said several times since their announcement =p

But yeah. They are big overseas. We'll see if they are able to breakthrough in the US in 2008 as their label hopes they will.